Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by soy
I don't get the August bit. For sure I could imagine them announcing the new program, but it beats me why they would merge mid year. Far Far cleaner to start afresh in 2019. Migrate people over at whatever status they achieved under the legacy programs in 2018.
I think there's a 99% chance that the new program won't start in August. They're probably giving notice that as of 1/1/19, your 2019 status will be based on the new criteria. Is there a 6 month termination clause or something along those lines in the T&C of either program?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I take this to be the rough draft of an August announcement for next year.

To be resolved: SPG - Amex/Delta status issues
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Any information about whether United RewardsPlus will continue with the new pprogram yet?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:26 pm

Deleted - Meant as a private message

Last edited by jclia; Apr 9, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
[/left]
Between CC nights and roll-overs, I think SPG loyals may be surprised how many add'l nights they can rack up I would have gotten 35 alone from CC usage
This year was the end of rollover nights.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Any information about whether United RewardsPlus will continue with the new pprogram yet?
Will the new Platinum Premier at 75 get United Gold status ? That would be very nice
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
regarding 2018, they will mix marriott and spg nights?
For exemple, 75 nights with SPG and 30 with marriott (and >20K spend) means platinum ambassador in 2018 or platinum 75?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Will the new Platinum Premier at 75 get United Gold status ? That would be very nice
Hopefully Delta status ....
drew502 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm hoping my lifetime MR Platinum status doesn't get hosed.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I take this to be the rough draft of an August announcement for next year.
Probably earlier than that - just got a message through Facebook announcing details next week:

Hi djohannw! Next week, were announcing some exciting changes to the Marriott Rewards program. We dont want you to miss whats next, so tap below and be the first to hear about whats new
Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:04 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Didn't see this exact question asked in the thread (forgive me if I overlooked it):

Will these changes, assuming they take place, affect those who have Gold status by virtue of their elite level in United Mileage Plus?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I think what may happen is certain higher brands will offer free breakfast or club lounge breakfast and some lower brands will not offer breakfast at all while the Platinum Premier gets free breakfast at all locations. It does also say 25 brands while the entire portfolio has 29, so the likes of Design Hotel, Ritz and EDITION are probably not included on the list even as a Platinum Premier.
If I am to speculate, the five hotels that won't have free breakfast are: Bulgari, Design Hotel, RC, Edition and the utilitarian Courtyard. I don't think it will impact that much since we never get free breakfast in these properties to begin with - I'll just continue avoiding them, although partly I wish RC has free breakfast.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
[/left]
Between CC nights and roll-overs, I think SPG loyals may be surprised how many add'l nights they can rack up I would have gotten 35 alone from CC usage
Marriott already ended rollover nights, although previous rollover nights still count for lifetime status..
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
If I am to speculate, the five hotels that won't have free breakfast are: Bulgari, Design Hotel, RC, Edition and the utilitarian Courtyard. I don't think it will impact that much since we never get free breakfast in these properties to begin with - I'll just continue avoiding them, although partly I wish RC has free breakfast.
I think it will be Marriott Executive Apartments instead of the CY.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Well, this should be interesting. I'm reasonably expecting to get reduced judging by the way that they have chosen to make PP a discrete level at 75 nights and drop Platinum to 50 nights - makes it easy to drop the grandfathered LTP people off a level and give them a reason to chase status.

Also curious to see if it will affect the Marriott/UA partnership as a big appeal to getting LTP was the United Silver status (travel dropped off quite a bit as of late on segments/miles despite a fair number of actual nights at properties). SPG has Delta though.

Time will tell. Curious to hear if the details come out as soon as next week (per message djohannw received).

Also the decline to 10 pts/$ for all member seems to cut down on a major benefit of consolidating travel with one company, unless the upgrades go. When I was more of a road warrior the benefits of hitting the next tier for the extra points accumulated on business travel was huge.

This all assumes they don't re-value the points (a very real possibility...) which would affect all the calculations on the net positive/negative impact...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.