Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Wiki Link
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Apr 9, 18, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I take this to be the rough draft of an August announcement for next year.
I expect this as the outline of an announcement to come out in the next 2 weeks, of a roll-out that will occur in August, with new status levels being effecting January 1.

Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Will these changes, assuming they take place, affect those who have Gold status by virtue of their elite level in United Mileage Plus?
Unknown. Let's deal with the macro integration before the edge cases.
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), LH(*S), A3(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
My guess is....
Platinum => breakfast and lounge access
Gold => 4pm checkout (a la SPG).

Gold won't be able to give you too much if there's 3 solid tiers above it.

If this turns out to be true then Hilton will be a much better deal for leisure travellers and people who aren't heavy stayers. 20/40 stays/nights gives you guaranteed breakfast and a good shot at lounge access (outside the US) whereas the same in the speculative MR/SPG program might only get you late checkout. And HHonors now has elite night rollover while the combined program won't.
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Anyone think it's possible they might combine 2018 Marriott and SPG nights in linked accounts towards 2019, or would this be too much work for them to consider? Doubt it, but thought I'd ask ...
It just occurred to me what is happening. Only Marriott Rewards is changing to the new program in August with SPG merging into the New MR with its new name on March 1 2019. So probably not combining nights until they merge and combine lifetime nights.
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Five tiers? Good lord. I was hoping things would be simplified a bit. While we're at it, why not a sixth "Extra Superior Honored Guest" tier too.
I would be surprised if it weren’t a way to gut the material benefits (and costs of those benefits) received by the vast majority of the current elite status customers in the program(s).
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
Gold won't be able to give you too much if there's 3 solid tiers above it.
Yes but ... if this information is accurate ... those who would have qualified for gold under the old Marriott rules, will now qualify for plat, so there isn't really a loss of benefits for them.

OTOH, those with LTG in the Marriott program might be losers.

Lets hope there is some lifetime tier for those with over 1500 nights ...
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post

OTOH, those with LTG in the Marriott program might be losers.
Hey I resemble that remark
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:53 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), LH(*S), A3(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Five tiers? Good lord. I was hoping things would be simplified a bit. While we're at it, why not a sixth "Extra Superior Honored Guest" tier too.
Technically, there'd be six tiers already if we count Blue (member with less than 10 nights)
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER View Post
It just occurred to me what is happening. Only Marriott Rewards is changing to the new program in August with SPG merging into the New MR with its new name on March 1 2019. So probably not combining nights until they merge and combine lifetime nights.
Curious to hear what your reasoning is behind this.
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Whats interesting to me as a LT Gold & if B/F is limited to Plat and above...

MR Lifetime Gold was based on a 50 night qualification

So current LTG's have all qualified on this 50 night limit
Yes it includes the gimmicks like roll over nights, CC nights etc but none the less that applied to the current Plat level as well.

So as a LTG I do feel a bit shortchanged "IF" that is the current free BF threshold. OTOH, I don't need that many more points for LTP either. So once I get there, I don't mind throwing the rest of the LTG's under the bus
This is my exact interest. If current LT Gold doesn't get whatever the base lounge/breakfast level is - essentially the first "real" elite tier, since we all know that every program's version of Silver is a joke - then Marriott's "lifetime" promise to us was broken.

I don't care if they call it Platinum or Gold or something stupid like Hyatt does. But if I don't go into the merged program with the base benefits I have today as an LT member, that's going to be severely disappointing.

The five-tier thing also foreshadows some new credit card offerings. This gives Marriott the opportunity to attach some meaningful statuses to multiple levels of credit cards, yet also keeps one real butt-in-beds level above what the CC holders can get on Day 1 with their cards.

If elite benefits are expanding to all resorts, then that is indeed a genuine positive enhancement.
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
FWIW speculation on changes to MR as we currently know it, based on discussion with someone in the know at MR but not privy to final decisions:
  • Names of status levels above Platinum have not been confirmed. MR wants to differentiate status levels above platinum to ensure proper recognition and avoid confusion among front line staff. Working names are Platinum 50, Platinum 75 and Platinum 100
  • Instant recognition of status at all levels upon check-in, with arrival points, free HSI, food & beverage vouchers, and choice of other benefits depending on status level
  • Spend requirement for all levels above silver. If spending level not reached, but nights are, status is at appropriate level based on spend.
  • Gold and platinum 50 upgrades limited to preferred level, concierge floor, higher floors, corner rooms, or view rooms at resorts. (No suites!)
  • Guaranteed suite awards (4) per year for platinum 75 and above
  • Guaranteed lounge access only for levels platinum 75 and above
  • Free breakfast at resorts for platinum 75 and above
  • Guaranteed late check-out, 2:00pm for Gold, 3:00pm for Platinum 50, 4:00pm for Platinum 75, Plat 100; resort and conference hotels subject to availability.
  • Platinum guarantees: 48 room guarantee remains, others guarantees are gone (platinum arrival gift, bed type, room type, lounge access, ultimate reservation guarantee)
  • Lifetime status changes coming. If status level not obtained, lifetime status identified in system. New Lifetime Level above Platinum will be added in 2019! Benefits reduced to upgrade to preferred floor for LTG; upgrade, late check-out for LTP
  • Big changes coming to awards! Dynamic award pricing, points required for award night based on hotel room rates at time of booking. No black-out dates, no categories!

Some the items above may wind up on the cutting room floor or may not be implemented until a later date due to IT integration issues.
Posted as a point of discussion and not a statement of fact.

Regards,

RIP...
Xeno likes this.
Old Apr 9, 18, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, AA PLT, SPG Plat100/LTG, Marriott GLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Marriott already ended rollover nights, although previous rollover nights still count for lifetime status..
Forgot about that! But they could re-launch with the new program...I guess we shall see.
Old Apr 9, 18, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Starriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
FWIW speculation on changes to MR as we currently know it, based on discussion with someone in the know at MR but not privy to final decisions:
  • Names of status levels above Platinum have not been confirmed. MR wants to differentiate status levels above platinum to ensure proper recognition and avoid confusion among front line staff. Working names are Platinum 50, Platinum 75 and Platinum 100
  • Instant recognition of status at all levels upon check-in, with arrival points, free HSI, food & beverage vouchers, and choice of other benefits depending on status level
  • Spend requirement for all levels above silver. If spending level not reached, but nights are, status is at appropriate level based on spend.
  • Gold and platinum 50 upgrades limited to preferred level, concierge floor, higher floors, corner rooms, or view rooms at resorts. (No suites!)
  • Guaranteed late check-out, 2:00pm for Gold, 3:00pm for Platinum 50, 4:00pm for Platinum 75, Plat 100; resort and conference hotels subject to availability.
  • Platinum guarantees: 48 room guarantee remains, others guarantees are gone (platinum arrival gift, bed type, room type, lounge access, ultimate reservation guarantee)
  • Lifetime status changes coming. If status level not obtained, lifetime status identified in system. New Lifetime Level above Platinum will be added in 2019! Benefits reduced to upgrade to preferred floor for LTG; upgrade, late check-out for LTP
  • Big changes coming to awards! Dynamic award pricing, points required for award night based on hotel room rates at time of booking. No black-out dates, no categories!

Some the items above may wind up on the cutting room floor or may not be implemented until a later date due to IT integration issues.

Regards,

RIP...
I swear if this happens......
Old Apr 9, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
  • Instant recognition of status at all levels upon check, with points, free HSI, food & beverage vouchers, and choice of other benefits depending on status

Regards,

RIP...
All of that would probably end my active participation with MR/SPG. It would become a last choice behind Hyatt, Hilton, and perhaps even IHG.

MR/SPG becomes a basic Southwest style program, except at least Southwest still gives you free peanuts. Hilton is *mostly* there (with the WN-style awards), but there are still occasional sweet-spots).
Old Apr 9, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So LTG will be a different status level than Gold and LTP will be different from Plat?

It's brave of MarRIOT to go to five levels when hotels can't seem to understand what PP is now. I'm also a bit surprised that the top level (Plat100/AMB) will be a published level, although it has been for Starwood ever since the Ambassador program ceased to be a targeted experiment.
Old Apr 9, 18, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, AA PLT, SPG Plat100/LTG, Marriott GLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
This is my exact interest. If current LT Gold doesn't get whatever the base lounge/breakfast level is - essentially the first "real" elite tier, since we all know that every program's version of Silver is a joke - then Marriott's "lifetime" promise to us was broken.
They could just grandfather in a lot of the benefits but not make it achievable for new LT Golds...lots of precedent for that in airlines

Search this Thread