Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I just got that chase Marriott card last year, getting the 15 nights right away. Apparently, they have stopped the 15 nights as a benefit going forward, but do existing a card holders continue to get 15 nights per enrollment year? I do not have an employer, so have to qualify for these statuses out-of-pocket. So, if I can now start combining Marriott and Starwood property stays, along with the 15 automatic nights, that will make it a lot easier to get to the golden level of 75 per year.
The annual 15 nights elite credit is still offered. Here is the current description from Chase.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I just got that chase Marriott card last year, getting the 15 nights right away. Apparently, they have stopped the 15 nights as a benefit going forward, but do existing a card holders continue to get 15 nights per enrollment year? I do not have an employer, so have to qualify for these statuses out-of-pocket. So, if I can now start combining Marriott and Starwood property stays, along with the 15 automatic nights, that will make it a lot easier to get to the golden level of 75 per year.
That appears to be incorrect.
Go to: https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...4R8&iCELL=6C1Y
Click on: Ways to earn Elite Status. You'll get a popup, pasted below. It still lists 15 EQNs per year.

The popup:
Marriott Rewards® Premier credit card
Apply Now*Offer Details
Pricing & Terms Opens new window
The fastest way to earn Marriott Rewards Elite statusYou'll receive 15 Elite credits after account opening and every year after your account anniversary, giving you guaranteed Silver Elite status every year.* Same page link to Offer Details

Every $3,000 you spend on purchases earns you 1 additional credit toward Elite status – with no limit to the number of credits you can earn.*
lexdevil likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Marriott has been doing this as a trial for a couple of years now. They have not, however, based it on status or spend (if they did, I would have a concierge). I'm mostly DIY with my bookings, but I would appreciate a concierge/ambassador to run interference for me when there are problems. I would love avoiding lengthy hold times and phone calls when chasing missing points. And if they do put a spend requirement on getting a concierge/ambassador, I hope it is not measured by points (unless they include credit card points). I put $40-60k of Marriott spend on my Marriott card every year. If I only get credit for the points from three rooms, this will radically understate the amount of business I am bringing Marriott.
Thanks; I've been chasing other hotel programs for the last few years and haven't been following Marriott's program too closely. I'll likely spend a lot more nights at Marriott properties under the new program.

Someone upthread mentioned a vacation to Asia as a cheap way to keep status. I did something similar with my daughter a few years ago ... did a month or so in China/HK/Thailand to keep SPG Plat. It wasn't all that cheap though, as we stayed at the nicest properties in most cities, such as the St Regis in Lhasa (Tibet). I've still got a planned vacation to Egypt should I decide I want to get status with someone other than Marriott; hotels are also cheap there.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by itsallgood
My first comment is NO, don't use the name Platinum Premier. FDCs often gave me less benefits as a PP than when I was a Plat because they thought it was a lower status. Choose Diamond, Titanium, or anything other than Platinum Premier.
Don't forget one of the Chase-issued credit cards is also called Marriott premier. So someone could be a platinum and a premier without being a platinum-premier.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I guess anything is possible, but I would be very surprised if SPG LT Plat is not matched to the same lifetime tier as MR LT Plat. I know it's a popular thought, but not every SPG platinum member qualifies on exactly 25 stays.

10 years of platinum means probably 600-800 nights for the average lifetime platinum and 2M points sounds like a lot, but adding in credit card spend and a 3:1 transfer ratio, I would imagine the majority of LT Plats would meet that threshold too, especially since the SPG card is a better option for regular CC spending.

The most troubling aspect of all the speculation is the dynamic awards though. Airline transfers are where the big point values are, but both MR and SPG offer solid rewards for hotel stays too, and dynamic awards would almost certainly kill that. I use hotel rewards way more often than I need international first class award flights, and I've already been pretty disappointed at MR award availability for peak travel times so to add this on top would be would be tough to swallow.
What you're saying is that most SPG LT Plats will qualify under the MR LT Plat program. I agree. The match of SPG LT Plat with MR LT Gold wouldn't impact many SPG LT Plats, only those that have min runned the program. ... did you miss where I stated I expect Marriott to combine all members' nights of the two programs? That alone should allow most SPG LT Plats meet MR LT Plat requirements - It's not like it's a very high hurdle. The SPG LT Plats who wouldn't make it would be those that rarely/never stayed at Marriotts, min runned the SPG program, and stayed at the least expensive SPG properties.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:03 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure? I thought the SPG credit card gave a couple stay and night credits every year, IIRC two stays and five nights.

Could you be thinking of a Hyatt or Hilton card?
I just got that chase Marriott card last year, getting the 15 nights right away.
As gokeeper mentioned, this is a reply to worldtraveller73'spost about the Canadian version of the cards; of which, the Chase Marriott officially terminated all accounts as of March 14th, leaving no Marriott card in Canada. Thankfully, we get 2x the free night certificates as a consolation, and either 15 or 30 night credits this year, depending on renewal dates.

Unfortunately we Canadians get screwed on the best credit card bonus, and if I recall correctly, several of the worldwide versions don't grant nights/stays either.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
With the addition of the new rumored tier, if they do allow lifetime at that level, I hope I qualify with what I already have. I just left my consulting job. I "retired" (i'm only 27) with 1305 lifetime nights, and 2,765,796 lifetime points.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Someone upthread mentioned a vacation to Asia as a cheap way to keep status. I did something similar with my daughter a few years ago ... did a month or so in China/HK/Thailand to keep SPG Plat. It wasn't all that cheap though, as we stayed at the nicest properties in most cities, such as the St Regis in Lhasa (Tibet). I've still got a planned vacation to Egypt should I decide I want to get status with someone other than Marriott; hotels are also cheap there.
It looks like you can fly from New York to Jakarta for under $660. You could book one of those $30-50 per night hotels for a month. If you stay there, you stay there. You don't need to physically check-out thanks to Marriott's mobile application. If you need 35 nights, $40 x 35 = $1400 + $660 = $2060. If I was short 35 nights for lifetime status, I'd totally do it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute
As gokeeper mentioned, this is a reply to worldtraveller73'spost about the Canadian version of the cards; of which, the Chase Marriott officially terminated all accounts as of March 14th, leaving no Marriott card in Canada. Thankfully, we get 2x the free night certificates as a consolation, and either 15 or 30 night credits this year, depending on renewal dates.

Unfortunately we Canadians get screwed on the best credit card bonus, and if I recall correctly, several of the worldwide versions don't grant nights/stays either.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It looks like you can fly from New York to Jakarta for under $660. You could book one of those $30-50 per night hotels for a month. If you stay there, you stay there. You don't need to physically check-out thanks to Marriott's mobile application. If you need 35 nights, $40 x 35 = $1400 + $660 = $2060. If I was short 35 nights for lifetime status, I'd totally do it.
If I had 35 nights free to spend in Jakarta, I'd do it for the food alone.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
If I were you, I'd make plans to diversify. I was a Plat Premier for several years with 130+ nights/yr and still didn't get a concierge to call so this is something that hasn't really been a Marriott offering (personal concierge).
This was a gripe of a coworker of mine. He asked several times if he could be part of the beta program when they trialed it last year and was turned down. His number was somewhere in the 150's.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by malexander131
This was a gripe of a coworker of mine. He asked several times if he could be part of the beta program when they trialed it last year and was turned down. His number was somewhere in the 150's.

I'm a 30+ year member with 125-150 nights a year, and Plat Premier for several years. I've had an ambassador but still not really sure the purpose. I have asked her to check on upgrades for a couple of weekend trips -- none of which I received -- and to add people's name to a reservation which I suppose saved me from calling in a couple of times. Otherwise, it sounds cool but I don't get the value.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:38 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Handcake
I wondered about this too, especially since for me as a Canadian, my AMEX Plat offers me SPG Gold, which gives me Marriott Gold. If SPG gold becomes like Marriott Silver, it is worthless for me, and I would rather shift to a card that offered me Plat status, which is most likely going to be where you get the free breakfast/lounge access.

I really hope this doesn't affect me for the rest of the year as a Marriott Gold member, I booked Marriott hotels with the knowledge I would be getting that lounge / breakfast. I have about 20 nights booked thus far, half of which were a pre-paid booking I cannot change.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure? I thought the SPG credit card gave a couple stay and night credits every year, IIRC two stays and five nights.

Could you be thinking of a Hyatt or Hilton card?
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I believe he is talking about Canadian version of SPG AMEX
Yep - this is accurate. There are no stay nights with the Canadian SPG Amex Card in it's current form. There ARE with the US version of the card (including a card that looks totally different in appearance). The Canadian Benefits are quite diluted by comparison to the US version; similar to the other international versions (UK, Japan etc).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:43 pm

What’s interesting to me is the discussion of a spend requirement attached to top tier status BUT seemingly no way to earn or advance tiers based solely on spend . Isn’t it possible to earn top tier at Hyatt and Hilton based solely on spend regardless of stays and nights ? Or am I mistaken ?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:48 pm
Suspended

I wonder what will happen to the folks who will have qualified for plat by the time the new program is implemented. Will they be given Plat 75 until the next qualification period or will they be given the lowly Plat 50? If given the Plat 50, they are getting royally screwed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.