Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Marriott has made this claim in writing and verbally several times, including this from the Website:

This link and answer have been posted on many threads by many people so it is inconceivable that someone who is a regular reader of this thread would have missed this, let alone would try to stir the pot with an irresponsible statement instead of doing a simple search to find the truth. We do not know what the parameters of recognition will be in the new program, but it is pretty clear LT status will be brought into the new program. If Marriott were to renege on this nobody would want to earn LT status in the new program out of fear it would disappear with a name change. Hopefully nobody puts credence in the statement and thinks their LT status will be gone.
The question in my mind is whether Marriott LTP will become Plat or PP under the leaked new program. If it's just Plat, Marriott will have kept the same name but actually downgraded the earned lifetime status by one level.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by cova
But Asia markets like HKG and Toyko are very expensive. You could get $20K spend with 50 nights.
But India and China aren't as expensive. I could do $20,000 spend with 1 or 2 nights, if I booked the fanciest suite at the Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection in Washington.

There's always going to be customers who spend tons of money but don't stay a lot of nights. The same with airlines. That's why Delta has its 360 program, which is dollar-based and not miles-flown.

Butt-in-bed nights is the best way.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Fairfield by Marriott Belitung in Indonesia is $39 per night.

The J.W. Marriott Hotel Medan in Indonesia is in the $50-range.

The Fairfield by Marriott Surabaya in Indonesia is $37 per night.

The J.W. Marriott Hotel Surabaya in Indonesia is in the $70-range. The same for the Yogyakarta Marriott Hotel.

Those rates are cheap enough for a mattress run. Check-in, tour around Southeast Asia and come back a month later to check-out.
OK, so nothing is $30/night. I didn't think so.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Does the Marriott website currently have an easy way to track spend?

I gave up on IHG this year hoping that when they combined you got the higher of this year or the new status. I should end at 150ish nights, but not sure on spend at all
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
By that theory then corporate Marriott should cut back the extra service at its Asian properties. Some Courtyard andFairfield Inn properties even exceed the standards of full-service Marriott or Renaissance properties in North America. Asia and the Pacific are Marriott's fastest-growing markets. They've clearly made the calculation that their product there has to be better than it is in other regions.

Someone doing 125, 150 or 200 nights in Asia should be just as important as someone doing the same number of nights in North America.
Different economies are on different scales...

While a low rate in Indo may work because of the local economy, which is the economy used to build the hotel, buy supplies, pay workers, etc., the MR program, or whatever it will be called, is US based and is funded by the percent of the nightly rate the hotels pay Marriott. So while services may be justified at a low rate at a non-US hotel, what is paid to the corporation for that rate would not necessarily justify the highest perks of an Ambassador level. That would be one of the points of having a spend minimum requirement.

The first time I went to a certain Asian country someone at the hotel did some work ahead of time on my behalf and also made sure I got a good room. I tipped him the equivalent of $32US which was a steal for what he did. Later the first day I met a friend in the lobby. The employee came over, introduced himself, etc., and gave my friend his card, too. When the employee left, my friend, an Army Chaplain who had been in SE Asia for a few years, asked how much I tipped. He laughed at the answer and told me I had paid the guy's rent for two months. Different economy, different scale. So what did I do? I tipped him that much every time I went to the country and was treated like a king. My luggage was unpacked. Food was waiting for me in the room after arriving at 1:00 am. Sometimes a driver met me in the Jetway at no charge. That is when I learned the difference between the US economy and other economies.

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 9, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The question in my mind is whether Marriott LTP will become Plat or PP under the leaked new program. If it's just Plat, Marriott will have kept the same name but actually downgraded the earned lifetime status by one level.
given marriotts FAQ entry linked a few posts up, they are honoring LTP and LTP only, in the new program, this doesnt include any specific set of benefits so i do not understand why you would say this would be a downgrade. They could make a free juice box at checkin be the only plat benefit of the plat tier of the new program and i wouldnt expect to be given some other status two or three levels above it during the conversion.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
the MR program, or whatever it will be called, is US based and is funded by what the hotels pay Marriott.
It's a global program. If it goes revenue-based then Marriott will need exemptions or separate programs for different regions. This isn't the 1980s.

This is the Asian century.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Wonder what the criteria is for getting an invite to the April 16 program.

Just people with registered addresses in NYC? At least one poster above seems to be Canadian based.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
LT Plat on SPG is 500 nights and 10 year Plat (but those 10 years could 10 years of 25 nights, if 1 night per stay).

To satisfy SPG Plat - they need to make the name Plat for 50 nights. Then just upgrade MR LT Gold (50 night level) to the new name Plat, as well as MR LT Plat to the new name of Plat Premier.

I doubt Marriott (which has a huge number of hotels with lots of room to fill) wants to screw it long term customers. MR LT Plat requires 2,000,000 LT points. Many people earn the 750 nights before that point threshold. Only min. for SPG is 10 years (with 25 stays or 50 nights).

I think folks here are overly assuming the worst, which I don't think will be the case. Marriott still wants and needs you.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:32 pm

Someone posted on a blog that an SPG agent told them airline points transfers were going away 4/16. I'm wondering if this could possibly be true...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by swintec
given marriotts FAQ entry linked a few posts up, they are honoring LTP and LTP only, in the new program, this doesnt include any specific set of benefits so i do not understand why you would say this would be a downgrade. They could make a free juice box at checkin be the only plat benefit of the plat tier of the new program and i wouldnt expect to be given some other status two or three levels above it during the conversion.
Not sure I follow. Is the suggestion that only the name matters?

For example, let's say a LTP currently gets benefits X, Y, and Z, and after the new program is announced, LTP is still the same title, but LTP only gets benefit X and no longer gets Y or Z. Explain to me how this is NOT a downgrade. Focusing on the names alone is silly. It's always about the benefits and not the name.
Renard, slowly, ronaldko and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by yosithezet

I assume you specifically mean those who qualify this year via 25 stays rather than 50 nights. I think it would be suicidal of them not to do so.
How many hotel chains give credit for multiple rooms? Many let you earn points but not night/stay credit. https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ultiple-rooms/

I'm not opposed to multiple room credit, but it looks like Starwood is the only chain that gives credit for multiple rooms.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The Fairfield by Marriott Belitung in Indonesia is $39 per night.

The J.W. Marriott Hotel Medan in Indonesia is in the $50-range.

The Fairfield by Marriott Surabaya in Indonesia is $37 per night.

The J.W. Marriott Hotel Surabaya in Indonesia is in the $70-range. The same for the Yogyakarta Marriott Hotel.

Those rates are cheap enough for a mattress run. Check-in, tour around Southeast Asia and come back a month later to check-out.
Yeah, because the majority of MR members are going to fly to Indonesia to get cheap hotel rates - not
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Not sure I follow. Is the suggestion that only the name matters?

For example, let's say a LTP currently gets benefits X, Y, and Z, and after the new program is announced, LTP is still the same title, but LTP only gets benefit X and no longer gets Y or Z. Explain to me how this is NOT a downgrade. Focusing on the names alone is silly. It's always about the benefits and not the name.
This is what Marriott says about LT status and the new program: " Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program."

What it does not say is that they will recognize benefits X, Y and Z nor will they shield you from any sort of downgrade in the future. Heck, one of the other posts leaking info in this thread states that the bed guarantee and plat arrival gift may go away so obviously benefits can and will be culled as they see fit. another mention shows they may give specific, lesser benefits to LT members.

Their wording shows they feel they owe you plat. for life, not any specific set of benefits for life nor would i expect them to.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Even Hyatt admitted that it wasn't a good rollout and the problems hurt the company's bottom line.
It wasn't the rollout that hurt Hyatt; it was the radical changes to the program. I still have some points to burn there and I've kept the credit card (in my sock drawer) for the free annual night, along with Explorist status (included with the credit card) which gives me MLife Gold.

I think the only Hyatt nights I've had since their program rolled out are either free nights or points + cash nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.