Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
My guess is Marriott may do another intermediate step in more closely aligning the two programs starting in 2019 and not doing a full merge until 2020 or 2021.
I'd say that's extremely unlikely. They would be creating far too much extra work for themselves.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:26 am

Is the inevitable combination happening sooner than later

Wonder what changes Marriott will be implementing...

calrick likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's a thread.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
A few days ago, I received an invite from MR/SPG to an event in NYC on April 16...
Interestingly, they recently added a note on my SPG Amex referral page (Canadian version) saying that to earn a referral bonus, your friend must apply by April 16. Speculation on the Amex thread was that they were just getting rid of the referral bonus but perhaps they are going to stop accepting applications for the SPG cards after that date.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
My guess is Marriott may do another intermediate step in more closely aligning the two programs starting in 2019 and not doing a full merge until 2020 or 2021.
They have said they will be merged. It would be significant blunder to not do so. I'm sure it would also be a major question on earning calls. I'm actually surprised the complete and utter incompetence of Marriott International's IT and e-commerce operation hasn't popped up on earning calls. You shouldn't have to use the Marriott Japan or Marriott U.K. website.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Horace
From INFOGRAPHIC: 25 LOYALTY MILESTONES at COLLOQUY:
Hotels were next to see the importance of loyalty programs: Holiday Inn launched its Priority Club in January 1983, followed by Marriott with its Honored Guest program in November of that year and Hilton with HHonors in 1987.
On May 6, 1997, Marriott "replaced and improved" the Honored Guest program to become Marriott Rewards. At that time, Marriott boasted that the new program allowed members to redeem points for "free stays at six Marriott lodging brands representing 1,000 hotels in 30 countries – an increase of 700 hotels."

In 2017, Hilton HHonors became Hilton Honors.
The weird thing is...I don't think the hotel programs got mainstream traction for another decade or more after their inception.

I was a road warrior throughout the 90s...working on big software projects all over the place with lots of other consultants doing the exact same thing. We *all* know the FF game pretty well. This was an era when the biggest programs (AA and UA in particular) were advertising all over airports. Our corporate travel agent sent "pro tip" guides about elite status, upgrades, and even status matches. By then, nobody I knew would fly without an FF account. Even my mom had her FF accounts by the 90s.

Yet when I'd go to a hotel, clerks would sometimes remark that I was the only Marriott Marquis guest of the day, so I'd get an upgrade. I still remember a Hampton Inn putting my name on a sign in the lobby as "guest of the day" because I was the only Silver there! Nearly all of my colleagues would give their AA or UA number to hotel clerks, because back then that's what the big airline programs advertised - their extensive network of hotel and rental car partners. I converted to hotel points early not because I did a bunch of math, but because I was already earning so many AA miles that I figured I might as well get an award room to go along with all of the award flights.

I'd say after 2000 or so, this all changed quite a bit. Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors started advertising quite a bit on their own and eventually everybody I knew converted over and became Platinum/Diamond/etc. like me.

The thing I didn't know was how far back Priority Club goes. I figured that was probably a newer one, given that IHG feels more like a loose collection of mostly lower-end brands with one luxury brand at the very top. (e.g., With the core business traveler brands being a big of a gap, except for the recent Kimpton addition.)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, but this is first-hand info of a verifiable nature.

Thanks OP for the heads up. Hope OP will post this over "there."
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They already started taking intermediate steps last year and more this year so far, and it"s only just over !/4 of 2018 gone by so far. Some of the intermediate steps already taken include closer alignment of promos, closer alignment of BRG (LNF), and now a rumor of closer alignment of breakfast benefit for top tier elites. (This is not a complete list, this is just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head.)

So I don't see why they'd need to drag that on for yet another 1.75 years.

At any rate, with an announcement of some sort coming in 6 days, I don't see the point of speculating further right now.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious where the Club Marquis fits in all this as I was a member of that along with something specific to Courtyard properties that required a $10 yearly payment. I can't remember what I received in exchange for the $10
Courtyard Club! Primarily recognition at check-in and upgrades to suites; also last to be walked if the hotel was sold out.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
They already started taking intermediate steps last year and more this year so far, and it"s only just over !/4 of 2018 gone by so far. Some of the intermediate steps already taken include closer alignment of promos, closer alignment of BRG (LNF), and now a rumor of closer alignment of breakfast benefit for top tier elites. (This is not a complete list, this is just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head.)

So I don't see why they'd need to drag that on for yet another 1.75 years.

At any rate, with an announcement of some sort coming in 6 days, I don't see the point of speculating further right now.
Yes thank you for your post. As of today it looks like just one more major intermediate step this August with a New program name and final merge in early 2019. As you stated we should know a lot more by April 16.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Courtyard Club! Primarily recognition at check-in and upgrades to suites; also last to be walked if the hotel was sold out.
I came late enough to frequent travel that I never encountered Courtyard Club. Otherwise I probably would've kept calling it Culture Club. Does it pay Karma points? And are the elite levels red, gold, and green?
Low Roller likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
And are the elite levels red, gold, and green?
Close. There was only one elite level, Gold. Though if someone stay a lot of nights, Marriott (and the CY owner) probably made lots of green. And I saw a bit of red when they combined all their programs into Marriott Rewards as I had lifetime Gold status and lost all that along with all the night/free award history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.