Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Multiverse of Marriott!
I'm for this!! Earn in one reality, redeem in another!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Preferred Guest Rewards!
I think they will want Marriott in the new program name. I wonder which program started first Marriott Honored Guest or Hilton HHonors?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Good one.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
>Multiverse of Marriott!

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'd be against it if it requires transiting through a worm hole in guest room beds.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I think they will want Marriott in the new program name. I wonder which program started first Marriott Honored Guest or Hilton HHonors?
From INFOGRAPHIC: 25 LOYALTY MILESTONES at COLLOQUY:
Hotels were next to see the importance of loyalty programs: Holiday Inn launched its Priority Club in January 1983, followed by Marriott with its Honored Guest program in November of that year and Hilton with HHonors in 1987.
On May 6, 1997, Marriott "replaced and improved" the Honored Guest program to become Marriott Rewards. At that time, Marriott boasted that the new program allowed members to redeem points for "free stays at six Marriott lodging brands representing 1,000 hotels in 30 countries – an increase of 700 hotels."

In 2017, Hilton HHonors became Hilton Honors.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 7, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question name?

Its meaningless & asinine to speculate about the potential name of the new program. What really matters is the details of the program? In particular, # stays req'd to trigger Plat status? Also, will the 3:1 points conversion be maintained?

I am intrigued by the timing i.e. 2nd half of the year. If the new program is announced in the 2nd half of the year, what (if any) impact will this have on stays in the latter half of 2018? When Fairmont converted to the revenue based Accor plan, Accor said they planned to lever additional revenue from its loyalty programs. We now know this was not achieved. What we don't know is what (if any) lessons Marriott will take from this marketing failure?
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Its meaningless & asinine to speculate about the potential name of the new program. What really matters is the details of the program? In particular, # stays req'd to trigger Plat status? Also, will the 3:1 points conversion be maintained?

I am intrigued by the timing i.e. 2nd half of the year. If the new program is announced in the 2nd half of the year, what (if any) impact will this have on stays in the latter half of 2018? When Fairmont converted to the revenue based Accor plan, Accor said they planned to lever additional revenue from its loyalty programs. We now know this was not achieved. What we don't know is what (if any) lessons Marriott will take from this marketing failure?
I don't know what asinine means but I don't think they will be calling it "Asinine Awards" Anyway I will address some of your concerns. "Stays req'd to trigger Plat status" It won't be stay based it will be 75 nights minimum. Exchange rate will remain the same at 3:1. When some new program details are announced on April 16 it will have no effect on stays in the latter half of 2018. What we don't know is the new name of the program.

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Apr 7, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I wish Marriott introduce revenue based qualification (similar to Accor status points)
or at least expand the RC double night to St Regis and Luxury Collection brands
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Horace
Hotels were next to see the importance of loyalty programs: Holiday Inn launched its Priority Club in January 1983, followed by Marriott with its Honored Guest program in November of that year and Hilton with HHonors in 1987.
On May 6, 1997, Marriott "replaced and improved" the Honored Guest program to become Marriott Rewards. At that time, Marriott boasted that the new program allowed members to redeem points for "free stays at six Marriott lodging brands representing 1,000 hotels in 30 countries – an increase of 700 hotels."

Curious where the Club Marquis fits in all this as I was a member of that along with something specific to Courtyard properties that required a $10 yearly payment. I can't remember what I received in exchange for the $10
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:58 pm

The key question for me is when the next category adjustment will happen, whether one will have an opportunity to make award bookings During category adjustment time as one has been able to do in the past Some win
, and perhaps whether there will be a period before the announcemnent happens that I am aware of, so that I can redeem all my points, before hotels play availability games while the categories are being adjusted.

the second thing of importance to me is what will be the requirements to get meaningful status in the new program. My definition of meaningful status is most of the following: breakfast, late check out, upgrades.This will determine whether , after eight years as a platinum guest at Starwood and occasionally qualifying at Marriott as well, whether I will continue to be a frequent guest, or whether I will be mostly an airbnb guest.

Last edited by Jared Ito; Apr 8, 2018 at 12:02 am Reason: Messed up
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That being said, I've stayed in both Marriott and SPG properties with exceptional customer service in the past few weeks -- Marriott PVR, JW Marriott Marquis Miami, SLS LA, W Miami, to mention some. I've also had some lackluster customer service at expensive properties who don't seem to really care about published benefits or elite recognition including JW Cabo, W Scottsdale, Westin Tucson, Westin PVR. Its not really the program (although there is certainly more inconsistency on the SPG side), its really the GM and perhaps the franchise operator.
As for the J.W. Marriott Los Cabos, myself and my boss stayed and received upgrades to suites after we pushed back and read the Marriott terms and conditions to the hotel's manager. The property was empty when we stayed. There were all sorts of better category rooms available. What made it worse was our contract (we were there for an event) specifically stated a one-category upgrade was guaranteed and further upgrades would be provided if there was availability. So between the Marriott terms and conditions and our contract, we received an upgrade.

As for inconsistency across the entire Marriott portfolio, I've said this many times on Flyer Talk. Marriott does not operate the majority of its North America properties, which is why the service and recognition is so inconsistent. Many of these management companies operate hotels across multiple hotel portfolios so even if they aren't deliberately skimping they may not just have the expertise in one particular program's requirements, especially when they are as vague and subjective as Marriott's.

By contrast, internationally many if not most hotels are managed by Marriott International. This explains why pretty much everyone says international properties are so much better at service and recognition.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 8, 2018 at 8:25 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Not sure, however what VIP treatment (as opposed to the breakfast and points) I would receive at the St. Regis that I don't get at the Ritz.
I've always been under the impression that every St. Regis has butlers, who may or may not actually have formal training as butlers. One of the marquee services is supposed to be unpacking and repacking your suitcase as well as bringing coffee or tea, upon request, to your room. I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown in Washington, the Ritz-Carlton San Juan, the Ritz-Carlton Toronto, and the Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas. Those properties didn't have a butler service.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I don't know what asinine means but I don't think they will be calling it "Asinine Awards" Anyway I will address some of your concerns. "Stays req'd to trigger Plat status" It won't be stay based it will be 75 nights minimum. Exchange rate will remain the same at 3:1. When some new program details are announced on April 16 it will have no effect on stays in the latter half of 2018. What we don't know is the new name of the program.
as·i·nine
ˈasəˌnīn/
adjective
  1. extremely stupid or foolish.
We currently do not know what the tiers will be (maybe more away from metals?) nor do we know what the requirements will be (maybe move to a spend component?). So all we have are guesses. One thing for sure is if the new program makes short term MRs useless, then stays/nights could drop off. I especially think those that have/want one of the many SPG Plat levels will stop trying to bump their counts if it's not going to help. I've seen this way too many times when we are getting close to releasing a new product, current product sales tank waiting for the latest and greatest to hit the streets.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Horace

Actually Holiday Inn had a frequent guest program implemented in the late 1970's called Inner Circle. IIRC, it consisted of 10% off rates and a complimentary newspaper.
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

I did a search of U.S. trademarks and Marriott hasn't filed anything new, at least for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.