Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Name Change Coming to the Combined MR & SPG Programs

Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Poor Ritz Carlton...just forgotten by everyone...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by OU812
. But more interesting perhaps is Arne's statement, "What we think we can do is deliver more value to our guests at more cost effective terms to hotel owners and drive a loyalty program that is second to none."
What else is he going to say? "We're developing a programs that's OK, but not as good as the old ones or our competition"? Let's wait to see what comes out.

Hard to believe it's still another year(?) to come up with a name.

Originally Posted by obunewbie17
Because it's really just MR.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
How so? It'll get rolled in to the integrated program along with the rest of the Marriotts.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
A few days ago, I received an invite from MR/SPG to an event in NYC on April 16, which runs 4pm to 7:30 pm (which is a bit early in the day, most of us have day jobs, but anyhow)
The invite said, inter alia, "Join us for an extraordinary evening inspired by you with entertainment and a culinary experience with celebrity chefs you won't want to miss".
No particulars shown; there is a link to an RSVP screen, which also doesn't show any more details. I sent an email to an address mentioned in the email, seeking clarification about the event, and was told, inter alia, that "we'll make an exciting and important announcement regarding the future of our loyalty programs with surprise celebrity performances, and we want you to be among the first to hear".

I am not a VVIP (I am SPG LTP but have <1,000 nights) so I was a bit surprised to be the first to mention it. I have to imagine a number of FTers in NYC got the invite.
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Look forward to hearing about it...given how many FTers either live in NYC or do a high percentage of their hotel stays in NYC, I figure some of our regulars here will *have* to be there...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
It will only be forgotten if, in the new program, it continues to be held out separately as far as elite benefits.

Within SPG, I can go to the top-of-the-line Starwood property St. Regis and I'm treated as a true VIP. Within Rewards, I can go to the top-of-the-line Marriott property Ritz-Carlton and I receive nothing approaching VIP treatment. In fact I don't even earn Rewards points on my incidental spending.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by controller1
It will only be forgotten if, in the new program, it continues to be held out separately as far as elite benefits.

Within SPG, I can go to the top-of-the-line Starwood property St. Regis and I'm treated as a true VIP. Within Rewards, I can go to the top-of-the-line Marriott property Ritz-Carlton and I receive nothing approaching VIP treatment. In fact I don't even earn Rewards points on my incidental spending.
I don't really like Ritz or St. Regis but the last two times I stayed at an R-C, I received decent suite upgrades and in one, free breakfast. I realize I would get free breakfast at St. Regis and points on incidentals. Not sure, however what VIP treatment (as opposed to the breakfast and points) I would receive at the St. Regis that I don't get at the Ritz.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:19 pm

OP thank you for posting the video link. It seems that Marriott Preferred Guest will be starting March 1 2019 which if they have to merge is the date I asked for when this all started in 2016. Many back then posted no way SPG lasts until 2019. I am now hoping for one more delay to a March 1 2020 start of course that is if there has to be a merger. Also requesting for the most part they retain if not all as much of SPG as possible.
fdem likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't really like Ritz or St. Regis but the last two times I stayed at an R-C, I received decent suite upgrades and in one, free breakfast. I realize I would get free breakfast at St. Regis and points on incidentals. Not sure, however what VIP treatment (as opposed to the breakfast and points) I would receive at the St. Regis that I don't get at the Ritz.
As far as VIP treatment -- I've stayed at three Ritz-Carlton's since the merger and as a Platinum I've received not one upgrade. I've always (yes I understand YMMV) received an upgrade to a suite when staying at St. Regis (six times) over the past three years, including on award stays. St. Regis suites come with butler service including complimentary coffee/tea delivered to your room each morning with a newspaper, while Marriott is eliminating the requirement to even have newspapers. Suites, including upgrades, come with complimentary pressing of two garments/person/day. The butler will also unpack/pack your luggage even though this is a service I've never utilized. As for breakfast, many St. Regis properties allow you to take breakfast either in the dining room or through room service, once again complimentary as a Platinum benefit.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I like the prospect of the new program being named MPG. Then we can ask each other questions like, "What do you get for MPG at property X?" And the answer will be, as always, YMMV.
controller1 and DELee like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace
Perhaps Marriott will dust off it's old loyalty program name, Marriott Honored Guest.

Or perhaps they'll come up with something entirely new.

But, in any case, I think Marriott will eliminate "Rewards" from the program name, and Marriott will push the VIP angle more than in the past.
I would hope so, as a Marriott member from early on and with more than 1.5K nights. I wouldn't mind a return to the old ways when Marriott members were treated like family.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by OU812
But more interesting perhaps is Arne's statement, "What we think we can do is deliver more value to our guests at more cost effective terms to hotel owners and drive a loyalty program that is second to none."
A content-free statement taken from a Marketing 101 textbook (also known as a flat-out lie) is interesting?

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I like the prospect of the new program being named MPG. Then we can ask each other questions like, "What do you get for MPG at property X?" And the answer will be, as always, YMMV.
That could work for a U.S.-only program, but Marriott is international.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I would hope so, as a Marriott member from early on and with more than 1.5K nights. I wouldn't mind a return to the old ways when Marriott members were treated like family.
The family was much, much smaller then. @:-)
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
Perhaps we'll get Marriott Preferred Guest, which would be a nice nod to SPG members, along with trying to bring the Starwood culture to the new program,

Perhaps Marriott will dust off it's old loyalty program name, Marriott Honored Guest.

Or perhaps they'll come up with something entirely new.

But, in any case, I think Marriott will eliminate "Rewards" from the program name, and Marriott will push the VIP angle more than in the past.
As long they don't call it Universe of Marriott or Multiverse of Marriott!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Preferred Guest Rewards!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.