Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Spring 2018 Megabonus: Apr 16 - July 20, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring 2018 Megabonus: Apr 16 - July 20, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nequine
As I said in another thread today, its a rather comedown from getting 2000/3000 points this cycle to 750!
I guess this is Marriott's attempt to please the people that have been asking for a per night bonus, huh?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
And they now have uniformity with SPG. The bonus there is 250 pts/night. Considering MAGC at SGP gives you 500/night, it seems even more absurd.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by txpenny
I read it as the third night of the MB period starts the 750 point bonus. Each night after the initial two days will earn 750, regardless of your length of stay(s).
I agree with Txpenny. I believe the 3rd night is a global, one time constraint for the promotion (not a per stay constraint). E.g. nights 3+ on wards in the promo period count and will earn 750 points/night.

--Jon
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I don't think this promotion is too bad. 36,000 for 50 nights isn't horrible and haven't figured out how it compares to the current bonus ... it's a bit of apples and oranges.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:13 pm

Do points nights count or only paid nights?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Is anyone else having trouble registering?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't think this promotion is too bad. 36,000 for 50 nights isn't horrible and haven't figured out how it compares to the current bonus ... it's a bit of apples and oranges.
They do not even remotely compare
Not - even - close

Old promotion - 2,000 points per stay 3,000 on the weekend.
25 nights to max out promotion at 50,000 points

This promotion - 750 points per night
48 nights to max out promotion at 36,000 points

It's perhaps the worst promotion I've ever seen from Marriott. I stay 300 plus nights a year. Barring a targeted promotion, I have no incentive to stay at Marriott properties. There are better deals out there with comparable companies.
margarita girl, KRSW and nequine like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Slatco
It's perhaps the worst promotion I've ever seen from Marriott. I stay 300 plus nights a year. Barring a targeted promotion, I have no incentive to stay at Marriott properties. There are better deals out there with comparable companies.
300-plus actual, butt-in-bed nights?

And where are you going to stay if not Marriott or SPG? Hilton, which has given top-level elite status to holders of its credit card? IHG, which is worthless? Radisson, which is an afterthought outside of the Nordic countries.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm tempted to call this promotion "very unimpressive" but at the same time I wonder if we all have gotten spoiled expecting blockbuster bonuses year-round.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I agree with Txpenny. I believe the 3rd night is a global, one time constraint for the promotion (not a per stay constraint). E.g. nights 3+ on wards in the promo period count and will earn 750 points/night.

--Jon
You're absolutely correct. I meant over the course of an entire promo period, some people stand to gain more if you're getting an extra 2k per stay instead of 750 per night. 99% of my hotel bookings are for 1-2 nights tops. So a promo that offers 750 per night isn't as appealing as 2k per stay. Alternatively, if I were the sort of traveler who stayed at a hotel for 3+ nights at a time regularly -- then 750 per night adds up over the course of time. Fair?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by obunewbie17
You're absolutely correct. I meant over the course of an entire promo period, some people stand to gain more if you're getting an extra 2k per stay instead of 750 per night. 99% of my hotel bookings are for 1-2 nights tops. So a promo that offers 750 per night isn't as appealing as 2k per stay. Alternatively, if I were the sort of traveler who stayed at a hotel for 3+ nights at a time regularly -- then 750 per night adds up over the course of time. Fair?
obunewbie17 I agree with your analysis as well. Most of my stays are one to two nights. So this Megabonus promo is far less compelling than the 2000 points/stay in the previous promo. Still a lot better than nothing. Also it is contiguous (no gap between promos) which is another plus. In the past there was always a couple of week gap in between promos.

--Jon
obunewbie17 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Slatco

They do not even remotely compare
Not - even - close

Old promotion - 2,000 points per stay 3,000 on the weekend.
25 nights to max out promotion at 50,000 points

This promotion - 750 points per night
48 nights to max out promotion at 36,000 points
I'm not in love with it but ... not sure I agree with your calculation.

Assume, I have ten 3 days trips with 30 nights.

In the current promotion, I earn 18,000 bonus points (9 stays at 2000). In the new promotion, I earn 20,250 points (27 nights at 750 a night). I have a 10 day stay coming up. Under the current promotion, I'd get 3000 points for that. Since its under the new promotion, I'll get 7500. My stay patterns vary wildly but this is a bit apples/oranges. We've had a lot of promotions over the years that cap out at 35,000 points.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Bit of a discrepancy in dates
Stay at any of our participating hotels and resorts worldwide between April 18 and July 30, 2018
or

This promotion is for nights stayed between April 16, 2018 and July 20, 2018, at participating Marriott® properties.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ennsy
Do points nights count or only paid nights?
Only paid nights, similar to past promotions. From the terms of the promotion (my bolding):

ExecuStay, Marriott Executive Apartments and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit and nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm not in love with it but ... not sure I agree with your calculation.

Assume, I have ten 3 days trips with 30 nights.

In the current promotion, I earn 18,000 bonus points (9 stays at 2000). In the new promotion, I earn 20,250 points (27 nights at 750 a night). I have a 10 day stay coming up. Under the current promotion, I'd get 3000 points for that. Since its under the new promotion, I'll get 7500. My stay patterns vary wildly but this is a bit apples/oranges. We've had a lot of promotions over the years that cap out at 35,000 points.
Interesting. Hadn't thought of long term stays. We are in a different city most nights, so the new promotion isn't good for us. At our current pace the new promotion will yield 10,500 per two weeks of stays. The previous promotion yields 30,000 for two weeks of stays. Quite a difference for us. It's very meh.

Hoping for a targeted promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.