Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unadvertised suites

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Unadvertised suites

Has anyone noticed that several properties -- perhaps, a considerable number of properties -- have suites but don't advertise them through Marriott's booking channels?

Two examples are the Marriott Livonia and Marriott Detroit Airport. Granted, the suites at both properties are nothing special. I'd actually rather have a regular concierge level room, but it is unusual that the suites aren't advertised. Another such property is the Marriott Pontiac/Auburn Hills/Bloomfield Hills (its exact legal location is anyone's guest because it is on the border of three places). All three properties only book their suites through the sales/events department.

For example, I had a paid rate of $109 last night (it included 5,000 bonus points) at the Marriott Pontiac/Auburn Hills/Bloomfield Hills. The suites were supposedly booked, which I find hard to believe because I overheard the front desk say only 20 guests were staying at the property, so I didn't get an upgrade. I asked the front desk and after they checked I was told the suites are only $175.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:03 pm

They don't advertise it probably because they only have very few suites available - they rather reserve it for walk-ins or have it ready for VIP guests. For example, Marriott DTW only have a couple of suites.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Or maybe the suites are unavailable because there is renovation or a busted pipe. If UGs are so important Marriott is not the right program. If a guest wants a suite, book a suite.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If a guest wants a suite, book a suite.
It's difficult to book a suite if the suites aren't listed.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Some properties also do that for their premium suites too.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
The hotel I have most frequented in the past, DFW North, has several room types that are not listed online. Suites and corner rooms.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've seen several Marriotts that don't sell suites through regular channels.

Marriott Marquis San Diego is a good example.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've seen several Marriotts that don't sell suites through regular channels.
I wonder if properties can get away without upgrades by not advertising the suites, especially if they can only be book through the in-house sales department as (I'm guessing) part of an event function.

It seems like missed revenue by not listing them. There's always someone who will book a suite over a regular room even if the suite is nothing special.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Actually a lot of hotels don't sell they top end suites through the public/mass channels, not just Marriott. One of the main reasons they don't offer them via their website is "control". Since they only have a few suites, they don't want a bunch of fake bookings. Also, if someone is willing to pay a lot more for a top-end suite, what else will they spend money on? So by having someone call the hotel to make that reservation, they can find out more about the person(s) staying and what their extra needs might be. Thus increasing the hotel's revenues. At the end of the day, I suspect there are many more things dealing with those suites than we may know. So while we might "think" they could increase revenue by offering that suite on-line, we may not fully understand all the drivers around the reservations/use of those suites.

So at the end of the day, I really think they do this in hopes of maximizing total revenue by keeping "control" of those rooms at the hotel level. And note that Marriott (plus Starwood, Hilton, IHG, etc.) doesn't force the hotel to offer those top-end suites for complementary upgrades anyway. So whether they "advertise" the room or not, does change whether they have to upgrade anyone.
dayone, DJ_Iceman and dw like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I wonder if properties can get away without upgrades by not advertising the suites, especially if they can only be book through the in-house sales department as (I'm guessing) part of an event function.
I think it can be better for upgrades, as it makes it more likely the suites are not booked.

I was about 40% on suite upgrades at MM San Diego when I was staying there regularly.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually a lot of hotels don't sell they top end suites through the public/mass channels, not just Marriott. One of the main reasons they don't offer them via their website is "control". Since they only have a few suites, they don't want a bunch of fake bookings. Also, if someone is willing to pay a lot more for a top-end suite, what else will they spend money on? So by having someone call the hotel to make that reservation, they can find out more about the person(s) staying and what their extra needs might be. Thus increasing the hotel's revenues. At the end of the day, I suspect there are many more things dealing with those suites than we may know. So while we might "think" they could increase revenue by offering that suite on-line, we may not fully understand all the drivers around the reservations/use of those suites.

So at the end of the day, I really think they do this in hopes of maximizing total revenue by keeping "control" of those rooms at the hotel level. And note that Marriott (plus Starwood, Hilton, IHG, etc.) doesn't force the hotel to offer those top-end suites for complementary upgrades anyway. So whether they "advertise" the room or not, does change whether they have to upgrade anyone.
I'm not referring to the best suite in the hotel. I'm talking about generic suites.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think it can be better for upgrades, as it makes it more likely the suites are not booked.

I was about 40% on suite upgrades at MM San Diego when I was staying there regularly.
Well, seeing as most of us have had experiences in which front desks lied about suites or better-category rooms being unavailable for upgrades I think not listing suites on booking channels allows a front desk to lie and say a suite -- even an entry-level suite -- isn't available without the guest being able to double-check by pulling up the Marriott website and making a dummy booking, as I've done before.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
... making a dummy booking, as I've done before.
​​​​​​Hopefully anyone who makes a double booking will be denied an UG and possibly not even given a regular room. The rules are clear that UGs are at the hotel's discretion, No guest is entitled to an explanation or appeal on that decision. Taking a room out of inventory when there is no intention to actually pay for the room is wrong, even if it is only for a second. Marriott is not a great program for UGs. For those that UGs are important there are other programs. If you think you have been treated badly let that be known on TA, FT and the like and elevate your concern to MR, but playing a game with a desk clerk or manager who has his/her instructions is unfair to that frontline employee. If you want a suite, reserve a suite. If the hotel shows no suites available, call the hotel and/or stay elsewhere.

Once in Hungary a friend and I checked into KLM and our seats had been reassigned to the last row, two middle seats not together. There was no premium line, so we got at the end of the regular line and waited forty-five minutes. A woman from the airline came over and I explained I was DL Diamond, there was a mix-up, yada yada. The woman pointed to the other people waiting and said they were all Diamond, too, so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor came over, apologized and upgraded us to first class. Twelve years later my friend is still mortified at my asking for the supervisor. She uses the term "DYKWIA" all the time now. Once I realized how I looked I try not to act like an entitled butt.

And this is what people think we look like when we act entitled:
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I find many Starwood properties allow suites to be booked online. On the other hand, its fairly rare at Marriott properties that are not resorts. In fact, many Marriotts don't even have better rooms available for booking. Its been that way for years, and I don't understand the rationale. It may be that many business Marriott properties don't have a lot of suites. That being said, I get plenty of suite upgrades at Marriott. The availability of seeing suites online at Starwood properties, certainly doesn't make upgrades better. Starwood properties understand better that they are supposed to give you a suite but in some hotels, they are quite comfortable lying about availaility.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Starwood properties understand better that they are supposed to give you a suite but in some hotels, they are quite comfortable lying about availaility.
Yes, this is true across programs. How many times have we read here "I showed the front desk agent on the app that suites were still available for sale, and he told me that was an error, there were no suites available."

And with Marriott, there's no right to a suite upgrade. So it really doesn't bother me if they don't show the inventory online. I still get enough good upgrades to feel that Plat has substantial value.
getagb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.