Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Cancun Resort (Now AI) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold

I booked this property when it was the Casa Magna and no resort fee. I found better prices and was given the run around when trying to book the lower fee. I decide to call customer service and the agent called the property and they agreed to waive the resort fee. I booked the package that includes round trip transportation-- buffet breakfast for two daily--25% off all restaurants and spa discount. When trying to send information about our arrival/departure using the e-mail sent to me by the concierge it came back as undeliverable. I called customer service and they gave me another e-mail which also came back undeliverable. Another phone call and finally I spoke to the concierge at the (resort) really after having stayed at this property in the past I can't imagine why they would call it a resort other than to collect another $25 a day. In any event I sent our travel info and am awaiting instructions. If you booked before the resort fee began I suggest calling and requesting you not have to pay this resort fee. Best of luck to all.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
We had to do the same thing when the Marriott in Puerto Vallarta dropped the Casa Magna name and added a resort fee ($15). We were able to get the fee waived as we had booked prior to the fee being added. I agree with you, Derby44, having stayed at both former "Casa Magna" properties, I just feel like the resort fee is a money grab and a way for them to show up on websites looking less expensive than they really are. Very unhappy to see Marriott adding these fees to their Mexico properties.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What is the back story on the renaming of the properties?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I posted a similar story on another existing thread about this property. I booked the same package. They tried to add the resort fee on my reservation. I called Marriott. They said they would get with the hotel. The next day, I received an email from the hotel confirming that I would not pay the resort fee. As others suggested, I made printouts of my reservation and the email when I went on my trip.

Upon checking in this March, I didn't have to provide any information because the resort fee charge was not on the room package. I agree you should call ahead to confirm or provide the information.

I really did enjoy my stay at the hotel though. The transportation was smooth, the 25% discounts were automatically applied to all meals, drinks by the pool, even snacks in the gift shop. And the free breakfast was wonderful.

Resort fees suck, but I just consider them part of the entire bill. If it is still competitive, then I will pay them. Just don't add them after reservations have been made.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jtwiz
I just feel like the resort fee is a money grab and a way for them to show up on websites looking less expensive than they really are.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of all resort fees.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So, why are these resorts in Mexico no longer co-branded Casa Magna?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So, why are these resorts in Mexico no longer co-branded Casa Magna?
I did ask this question when we were at the PV Marriott in November but got a wishy washy response. Basically they said they wanted to follow corporate naming conventions so dropped the Casa Magna label. They wanted more focus on being a resort and spa - which doesn't really make sense to me, since they already had resort and spa in their name.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtwiz
I did ask this question when we were at the PV Marriott in November but got a wishy washy response. Basically they said they wanted to follow corporate naming conventions so dropped the Casa Magna label. They wanted more focus on being a resort and spa - which doesn't really make sense to me, since they already had resort and spa in their name.
Many or all of the Intercontinental properties in Mexico are co-branded "Presidente." I've just always assumed "Casa Magna" and "Presidente" were formerly separate hotel chains for Mexicans. Just as Radisson in the Nordic countries was previously co-branded SAS.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:10 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
any new reports?

is the resort fee charged on award reservations booked by a platinum?
is there a club lounge?
plat recognition?

may just pay more in points and do the jw and avoid all this drama.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Originally Posted by cur
any new reports?

is there a club lounge?
plat recognition?

Went to Cancun in July and ended up booking the JW and would highly recommend that property, even with the on-going construction (major reno). We had excellent service and a wonderful time.

Anyways, the Marriott was adding resort fees to a Plat when booking online. Never thought to ask to have it waived and thoroughly enjoyed the JW without a second thought.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cur
any new reports?

is there a club lounge?
plat recognition?

Just went here in September as a Plat-yes, resort fee is charged on award reservations as Platinum.
No Club Lounge available - you get daily continental breakfast in the La Capilla restaurant each day which includes bread/pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt and drinks. You can upgrade to the full buffet for $20/person each day, we did that once
We got a free dessert some nights in some of the restaurants as a Platinum guest, 10% off in the gift shop that did have pizza, sandwiches and gelato.
We were upgraded from an Ocean View to a Premium Ocean View and even though they call it out as a benefit, there was no enhanced internet to upgrade to, only the basic (which wasn't bad during low-season)

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crash21
Just went here in September as a Plat-yes, resort fee is charged on award reservations as Platinum.
No Club Lounge available - you get daily continental breakfast in the La Capilla restaurant each day which includes bread/pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt and drinks. You can upgrade to the full buffet for $20/person each day, we did that once
We got a free dessert some nights in some of the restaurants as a Platinum guest, 10% off in the gift shop that did have pizza, sandwiches and gelato.
We were upgraded from an Ocean View to a Premium Ocean View and even though they call it out as a benefit, there was no enhanced internet to upgrade to, only the basic (which wasn't bad during low-season)

Hope this helps!
I wouldn't hesitate to read the terms, which say "breakfast" and not "continental" breakfast. I also wouldn't hesitate to demand a further upgrade if a suite was available.

This property has been on my no-go list since I got food poisoning here in 2012.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Just wondering if anyone has stayed here recently. The reviews I've seen on other sites seem good. Thank you!
Old May 25, 2020, 5:54 am

'Locals only rate?'

Looking to make a reservation here for a quick getaway in June. Found a great rate of $112 USD/night inclusive of taxes, fees, and breakfast. The rate title from Marriott.com states:

"Member Rate Redescubre Lo Local/Staycation, desde 2,070MXN mas impuestos, includes breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 daily, based upon availability, self parking, see Rate details"

In the rate rules (listed in both English and Spanish), there is nothing that states that the guest must be a local Cancun or Mexican resident/citizen; but I see the "Local/Staycation" (see bolded/underlined above) in the rate title. That being said, I do not speak Spanish and I used a translator for the Spanish text. My concern: if I book this rate, will the hotel try to switch things around when I present myself to check-in?
Ripley62 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.