Wiki Posts
Search

sad day at Fairfax Fair Oaks SH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
sad day at Fairfax Fair Oaks SH

Oh me oh my what a sad experience in DC.
Springhill Fairfax Fair Oaks VA, many issues.

Woke up on morning of March 21st - immediately after the fourth ‘noreaster’ snow event, which put about six inches on the ground in Fairfax - to find limited/no water pressure in my third-floor room. Dressed and went to lobby, found firemen there walking to stairwell. Front Desk clerk (“C”) said there was a broken standpipe in basement.

More firetrucks appear, including the hook-n-ladder, and the Battalion Chief, totaling five vehicles. This is appearing to be a BIG deal.

There is NO communication from the front desk, and NO manager appears present.

Now 30-40 people in lobby, all wondering what is going on. NO communication from front desk, unless one walks up (which I did), and then only an eyes-down ‘broken pipe issue’ for an answer.

Suddenly lights go out, all of them, not even any Emergency lights are on. The hallways are dark but for the windows at the end, and the stairwell is PITCH DARK. The two sets of automatic doors are propped open for the 12+ firepeople who are coming and going, letting in freezing cold air. There of course is no heat, so the lobby begins to feel like an igloo.

NO communication from front desk, and no manager apparent. I walk to front desk to ask ‘what happened?’ “C” says the fire house wants to pump the basement, but needs the electricity off to be safe from electrocution. My reaction is – well OK, but could you not have told us what to expect?? And what about the lack of emergency lights? The answer to that is – the emergency lights depend on a generator, which is also shut down per request of firehouse. Again, NO communication from hotel regarding this, I only learned this later because I asked.

I walk up the dark stairwell to my room and begin to pack, expecting to leave for somewhere else. Drag bags down stairwell to lobby. Firehouse has taken over the front desk from the two staffers who are present. We have yet to see or hear from a manager.

“C” says we will be assigned to a nearby Courtyard, for one night only, and to expect to return to Springhill next day. Transfer to Courtyard is uneventful.

Return next day, I am offered/assigned to fifth/top floor. Once unpacked, I discover there is no water pressure. I call down and am informed that there will be only limited water pressure until the repairman comes later that afternoon with a needed part. I am fine with that plan.

Water pressure NEVER returns. Next day, “C” is still at the front desk and offers to move me, but also says the part should be in and water fixed soon. I elect to stay – big mistake. Repairman never shows as part is somewhere in transit.

At final checkout, I find out the needed part is a critical booster pump, without which there cannot be sufficient pressure above second floor (per the next front desk clerk). “We could have put you on a lower floor, but your profile says you like high floors.”

During this whole episode, I never see or hear from a person who might be a manager.

1) Where is the leadership? A hotel manager/site commander was needed, known for several hours, yet never appeared.

2) Who has (not) trained the staff in communication skills?

3) Why do the emergency lights not have a battery for immediate short-term use?

4) What is the thoughtless act of putting people on a floor with no water? Why not just keep me at the Courtyard, or similar?

Thank goodness no one was hurt (that I know of), despite that the management and staff failed miserably here.

Finally, the money part. A) Springhill checked me out on the 21st and the Courtyard billed me about $30 more than my reservation showed for the Springhill. B) I spent two days with no water on the 5th floor. No adjustment has been offered, despite they know perfectly well the issues. Front desk seems oblivious.
Off to Customer Care... .
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
nevermind... just looked at the property pic and had written a story about a different nearby property. Now that I've seen the pic sorry to hear about this, as I have had good stays at this property in the past.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 25, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
There's a basement in this hotel? I've never known Marriott to purpose-build a basement in a limited service property.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by pcoll52
Oh me oh my what a sad experience in DC.
Springhill Fairfax Fair Oaks VA, many issues.

Woke up on morning of March 21st - immediately after the fourth ‘noreaster’ snow event, which put about six inches on the ground in Fairfax - to find limited/no water pressure in my third-floor room. Dressed and went to lobby, found firemen there walking to stairwell. Front Desk clerk (“C”) said there was a broken standpipe in basement.
. .
While technically it was the 4th noreaster in a row that is a wee bit misleading

For Fairfax it was the first noreaster that dumped snow or had any serious impact other than a cold wet march
joshua362 and aaupgrade like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.