Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

5th Night Free - Non Consecutive Award Nights / Same Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I assume I already know the answer to this, but would it at all possible to use the 5th award night free benefit with a paid stay in the middle?

The reason why I ask is that I have been invited to my company's sales club at a Ritz Carlton, Sunday-Thursday. I would like to arrive the Friday prior, stay 2 nights on an award, then leave the Sunday after, with another 3 nights on an award. I would love to get the "5th" night free, but I can't have the award nights be consecutive given the paid stay in the middle.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by roder
I assume I already know the answer to this, but would it at all possible to use the 5th award night free benefit with a paid stay in the middle?

The reason why I ask is that I have been invited to my company's sales club at a Ritz Carlton, Sunday-Thursday. I would like to arrive the Friday prior, stay 2 nights on an award, then leave the Sunday after, with another 3 nights on an award. I would love to get the "5th" night free, but I can't have the award nights be consecutive given the paid stay in the middle.
No, it needs to be a single rez for the entire stay. How is the paid stay being paid? If billed to the company, I don't see any options. If being paid by your CC, then maybe you can get away with moving the paid stay to the beginning or end of the stay and do the 5-day before/after. It might be an easy sell to your manager if the swap will result in a cheaper room rate on your expense report.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I tried with a hotel I stay at frequently and was shot down. I wanted to do three nights, gone for two and return for two. I asked the hotel, Marriott, the hotel manager and posted online several places and got nothing. If you do figure out a way please let us know.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:11 pm
alc

you mean like this?

Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It's been a few years since I last did what alc shows, but Marriott has allowed us to mix paid and award nights within a single reservation for quite a long time (maybe since the beginning of their rewards program). For a 5th night free award, the restriction is that all the nights have to be within a single contiguous stay. It used to be that one had to call MR to get a customer service agent to piece together the "mixed" nights reservation, but from what alc shows above, it looks like we can now do it all online without requiring a call. ^
CJKatl likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by alc
you mean like this?
This is a great feature, but beware that when you select a revenue night in the middle, the "Free 5th Night" goes away until you click "preview combination".
CJKatl likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by alc
you mean like this?

Do you earn points for the paid nights.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Do you earn points for the paid nights.
Yes. And all nights will count for elite status, but only get credit for one "stay".
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, but the point being missed here is it sound like the OP will need a folio for the paid middle night only for the expense report. The few times I needed something like this, I found generating my own folio to show the "company nights" kept things simple and didn't raise any concerns. As soon as there was anything of a personal nature every fine-tooth comb in the office came out.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:44 am
alc

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, but the point being missed here is it sound like the OP will need a folio for the paid middle night only for the expense report. The few times I needed something like this, I found generating my own folio to show the "company nights" kept things simple and didn't raise any concerns. As soon as there was anything of a personal nature every fine-tooth comb in the office came out.
Under a normal award night, there will be nothing on the Folio for each night stay itself, isn't it? So, I would expect in this case, the Folio will show just the Paid nights on it. The only info that can't change will be the Check-In and Check-Out date, anything else hotel can always split the charges however you want anyway, am I correct?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RogerD408
As soon as there was anything of a personal nature every fine-tooth comb in the office came out.
If you have nothing to hide, you should not fear the combs.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you have nothing to hide, you should not fear the combs.
Oh, trust me, I don't! AND I hold their feet to the fire to make sure I get what I'm due if they try to cheat me. It's just that some like to take the path of least resistance.

I once did a road trip with a co-worker, we shared a room and he submitted for the room bill. I submitted my expense report and it got bounced because I did not include any room charges (and wasn't due any reimbursement). So, to have a little fun, my response was: If you spend enough time at the hotel bar you don't need your own room! They never questioned me again! Don't ask questions you really don't want the answer to! LOL
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
Under a normal award night, there will be nothing on the Folio for each night stay itself, isn't it? So, I would expect in this case, the Folio will show just the Paid nights on it. The only info that can't change will be the Check-In and Check-Out date, anything else hotel can always split the charges however you want anyway, am I correct?
That may be, but I've seen expense reports bounced when co-workers take their spouse along, and even though there was no additional expense, accounting expected the bill to be split between business and personal. So some creative juggling of the paperwork was needed. Most times the people responsible for reviewing/processing expense reports are people that have no experience traveling and sometimes treat the monies they are paying out is their personal funds.

In this case, I would understand accounting thinking the total $s spent should be divided by the number of nights and then times the number of business nights. The beauty about math, you can usually spin the numbers to be whatever you want.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:58 am

Some basic questions about fifth night free, etc

For the current program of course, is there a limit to the number of consecutive nights that I can book to get night credit? Is there a similar limit for Starwood stays?

if I make a booking for say 30 nights , all award stays, will every fifth night be free?

i presume that that the fifth night will not be free if I book five consecutive award nights, one night at a time, in five seperate bookings?

thank you
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:23 am

1. No for Marriott. If you want the Starwood t&c's, check the Starwood forum.

2: Yes.

3. Correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.