Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EDITION is going plastic-free!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:59 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
For bottled water, I'd like to see a cheaper alternative than plastic containers. Paper?

The package is made primarily of paper, sourced from certified, responsibly-managed forests where new trees replace the ones that are harvested.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... and for a second I thought: "wow, funny if a hotel were going to buck the trend of some hotels going cash-free" and wanting "plastic" but no cash for the bills.

They still want "plastic" -- as in plastic credit cards.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dayone

The package is made primarily of paper, sourced from certified, responsibly-managed forests where new trees replace the ones that are harvested.
What coats the primarily-paper/paper containers? And the lids/caps are made of what?

Hotels' "environmental" initiatives aimed at customers often seem to include a plan for a service/product downgrade of sorts.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I loved it in South Africa when the hotels provided water in re-usable glass bottles! ^
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's probably most PR. It's pretty easy to eliminate something if you don't actually have it.
Exactly, Edition customers are likely pretty progressive and understand the damage being done by plastic. Marriott will likely think that doing this at Edition addresses the 'problem' they have on the PR front. When in fact if they did this at say Marriott or Courtyard they would have a far greater impact due to the number of properties but also reaching a client base that may not be as understanding about the impact of plastic on environment and climate change.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Exactly, Edition customers are likely pretty progressive and understand the damage being done by plastic. Marriott will likely think that doing this at Edition addresses the 'problem' they have on the PR front. When in fact if they did this at say Marriott or Courtyard they would have a far greater impact due to the number of properties but also reaching a client base that may not be as understanding about the impact of plastic on environment and climate change.
Ah, that's why I didn't understand what Edition and Marriott are doing - I'm a stupid insensitive Marriott elite.

David
joshua362, DJ_Iceman and JBord like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
I'm a stupid insensitive Marriott elite.

David
Hopefully you are neither stupid or insensitive, rather you a Marriott elite who will tell the company you spend a lot of money at that they should be doing something good for the environment. ^
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What coats the primarily-paper/paper containers? And the lids/caps are made of what?
Linings are usually aluminum foil or polyethylene. Caps can be made out of plastic derived from sugarcane. All of the products can be recycled.

If interested, you can read more about how packaging giant TetraPak is moving to 100% renewable products: TetraPak | Our Packs | Pick the Pack that Grows back
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
All of the products can be recycled.
The problem is that even though these can be recycled, the recycling rate is abysmally low and they still end up clogging the oceans.

Reusable is always better than recyclable.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 18, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Linings are usually aluminum foil or polyethylene. Caps can be made out of plastic derived from sugarcane. All of the products can be recycled.

If interested, you can read more about how packaging giant TetraPak is moving to 100% renewable products: TetraPak Our Packs Pick the Pack that Grows back
All CAN be recycled, but normally not. For example, what can I do with a TetraPak that will actually get it recycled? I doubt there are many communities in the US that will do so because it is mixed material.

And regardless of whether one believes in or opposes manmade climate change, there's no question that plastic is a serious waste. I wish there was an option in all Marriott's to request no water bottles or toiletry bottles in the room. Tap water is just fine ...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I wish there was an option in all Marriott's to request no water bottles or toiletry bottles in the room. Tap water is just fine ...
I just don't use them. That's about the best you can do.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I just don't use them. That's about the best you can do.
Disagree, you can tell Marriott that you oppose such waste and ask them to implement a sustainable solution. Remind them you vote with your $$.

Last edited by bdschobel; Mar 19, 2018 at 3:47 pm Reason: removed inappropriate reference to religion
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
I would guess they're referring to Styrofoam.
I would guess you're referring to EPS white foam. Styrofoam is XPS, trademarked by the Dow Chemical Corp, and is used for the continuous insulation (CI) on walls, roofs, etc in the commercial construction market, typically.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've been pleased with the rooms that have both a trash AND recycle can available. Now what happens afterwards is unknown, but I feel I've done my part. Of course, not using the water bottles might be more appropriate. I do believe it wise to have them there for those that need/want it. Tap water can vary greatly from one property to the next.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:43 pm

The problem is that even though these can be recycled, the recycling rate is abysmally low and they still end up clogging the oceans.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
All CAN be recycled, but normally not. For example, what can I do with a TetraPak that will actually get it recycled? I doubt there are many communities in the US that will do so because it is mixed material.
I guess I don't understand why this is a problem. Maybe I'm misreading tone, but you both seem upset at TetraPak. They don't control whether an end user is responsible enough to recycle a recyclable product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.