FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Check in not available until 6PM? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1897194-check-not-available-until-6pm.html)

Readog Mar 5, 18 3:29 pm

Check in not available until 6PM?

Hello,

I have a stay coming up this week one night starting Thursday night at an Autograph Collection. Co-worker and I booked at the same hotel and we are Plat premier and platinum. We received an email today informing us that the hotel has a "large group checking out the day of our check-in, and the hotel may not be able to accommodate a check-in before 6 PM".

My question is: Can they do this when the published check-in time for the reservation is 4 PM? Also, should any compensation be given? This is a first for me with Marriott after 1000s of nights but I know these Autograph Collection properties can sometimes be a little quirky. Curious to see what others have encountered and how they have handled this.

VA1379 Mar 5, 18 5:08 pm

It sounds to me like the large group may have negotiated a late checkout of 3 or 4 pm. If that is the case, you may not be able to check in at 4 pm. What would be helpful to know is how big this group is with respect to the number of rooms in the hotel. If they are occupying half of the hotel, it will take time for housekeeping to clean all the rooms.

You can ask them to offer you something for the inconvenience of checking in later than planned. A $50 per person food and beverage credit is not unreasonable to ask. I have not stayed at any Autograph Collection hotels myself so I know brand standards are not the same as for a regular Marriott or Renaissance hotel. Still, it is not reasonable to just tell a guest to deal with the inconvenience. They booked the large group, and they knew other guests would be arriving the day the large group checks out.

mahasamatman Mar 5, 18 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by VA1379 (Post 29489599)
A $50 per person food and beverage credit is not unreasonable to ask.

I'd say $50 is unreasonable. Maybe $10 (or the cost of one drink, whichever is higher).

TrojanHorse Mar 5, 18 6:18 pm

$50 seems reasonable to me

or say 2/19th of the rate ++

CJKatl Mar 5, 18 6:33 pm

Be glad they let you know ahead of time. I have had to sit and wait past the normal check-in time and it's not fun. A heads up would have been appreciated. One hotel handled it well (Lavonia MI FS) and another hotel handled it so poorly after an hour I left and went to another Marriott property. The latter was a CY over the bridge from DC in VA, but I don't remember which one. If you really are planning to arrive at the hotel earlier, reach out to them and let them know. It is quite likely that they informed all expected guests of the issue but will have some rooms ready earlier. If everyone but a Plat and a PP adjusts to arriving later the hotel will likely be able to give you your room at the normal check-in time.

Count me among those who thinks $50 is too high, but heck, if the hotel is willing, take it.

Pretzelsandpeanuts Mar 5, 18 6:51 pm

Ask for $50, they will probably come back with $25. If that is acceptable, take it.

alrernatively, call the platinum line to tell them the check in time is not 6:00 and you think some points should be provided as compensation. As a valuable member, they will probably give you 5,000 or 10,000 each.

4getofn Mar 5, 18 7:11 pm

Totally agree ... My guess is they did send it to everyone so your chances of getting in earlier are good. I am not an autograph expert but my guess is the hotel has fewer rooms than a standard FS Marriott so you might be just fine especially if you are there waiting in the bar ... $50 does seem a bit much but heh, give it a shot ...

mahasamatman Mar 5, 18 7:12 pm

Anyone who insists on compensation for this should have their member record noted to forever refuse any requests for late checkout. You can't have it both ways.

4getofn Mar 5, 18 7:19 pm

I understand but Marriott has put themselves in a box trying to be everything to everyone .. It’s hard to promote the new 4pm checkout when I am suppose to check in at 4pm ... Hard to say how this will play out ! Juggling act ..

DJ_Iceman Mar 5, 18 7:23 pm

I give this hotel (and here we go again with not naming properties) HUGE kudos for proactively notifying guests of this situation. I think we've all been at places where our room "wasn't quite ready" for hours after normal check-in time, and it is much more frustrating not knowing in advance. $50 is probably over-the-top, but I would probably ask the hotel if they'd be willing to comp a drink and an appetizer at their bar. That's where I'd end up spending the extra couple of hours anyway, it doesn't cost the hotel much, and seems like a fair goodwill gesture.

SkiAdcock Mar 5, 18 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 29489985)
I give this hotel (and here we go again with not naming properties) HUGE kudos for proactively notifying guests of this situation. I think we've all been at places where our room "wasn't quite ready" for hours after normal check-in time, and it is much more frustrating not knowing in advance. $50 is probably over-the-top, but I would probably ask the hotel if they'd be willing to comp a drink and an appetizer at their bar. That's where I'd end up spending the extra couple of hours anyway, it doesn't cost the hotel much, and seems like a fair goodwill gesture.

This.

CPRich Mar 5, 18 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29489957)
Anyone who insists on compensation for this should have their member record noted to forever refuse any requests for late checkout. You can't have it both ways.

Actually, I expect Marriott to provide the services they offer (and sell, for real money). If they can't fulfill it, don't offer it. Do you also think IDB pax on an oversold airplane are just SOL?

SkiAdcock Mar 5, 18 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 29490191)
Do you also think IDB pax on an oversold airplane are just SOL?

There's a difference btwn a 3-hour delay on check-in at a hotel & not being allowed to fly on the plane.

Cheers.

MSPeconomist Mar 5, 18 8:40 pm

IME top hotels tend to voluntarily offer a drink (and sometimes a snack or breakfast) if the room isn't ready when you arrive, even if you arrive well before check in time. Other hotels will offer to let you wait in the lounge and help yourself to the lounge F&B.

Hence I think that the hotel should be generous in the OP's case. To me, it's reasonable to expect the hotel to pay for F&B while the OP waits, plus something extra for the inconvenience as the property made the commercial decision to offer late checkout to the group despite their published check in time. Assuming that the hotel's bar/restaurant is fairly expensive, to me $50 isn't unreasonable by this standard. I'm thinking of something like two glasses of champagne and maybe an appetizer plus tax and tip over two hours.

TrojanHorse Mar 5, 18 8:41 pm

So if check in time is 4PM and checkout is 11A that is 19 hours

2/19ths of the purchase price seems fair.

As for having it both ways

1. SPG has managed this quite well so MR should be able too as well
2. you book a room based on the terms given in this case 4PM is check in; check out is 11A but if your earned benefit is a late checkout, that is not both ways, its something you have earned.

the hotel took a chance when they took this large group and gave them a 4P checkout; compensation that they figured that they would have to hand out should have been calculated into the sale price to the large group. At a minimum $xxx of this sale would be passed on to the customers being inconvenienced