Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in not available until 6PM?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I agree about kudos to the hotel for giving advance notice. By giving notice to all incoming guests so they may plan accordingly, it may not even have an impact on anyone.

frankly, I wouldn't make a big deal of it. I've had several hotels over the years let me in well in advance of check-in time and throw in breakfast in the lounge so it all balances out. That being said, if you are actually impacted when you check in, why not ask for a voucher to get a couple drinks and appetizer while you're waiting at the bar. I think if you ask that way you're much more likely to get something then asking for $50.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
First, are you actually going to be arriving on or before 6pm that day? And what were you planning on doing between 4 and 6pm? If all you were planning on doing was check-in, drop off the bags and then head out for dinner somewhere, then I'd probably just ask the hotel to hold my bags for me and then head out. I'd not worry about "compensation" at all unless it really was going to be a real inconvenience.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
SPG has managed this quite well so MR should be able too as well
I frequently get to SPG hotels after 4pm and they tell me the room's not ready because someone had late checkout.

Originally Posted by CPRich
Do you also think IDB pax on an oversold airplane are just SOL?
Ridiculous, inappropriate comparison. IDB is equivalent to walking, not to a delayed checkin. And hotels compensate rather well for walks.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by hhoope01
First, are you actually going to be arriving on or before 6pm that day? And what were you planning on doing between 4 and 6pm? If all you were planning on doing was check-in, drop off the bags and then head out for dinner somewhere, then I'd probably just ask the hotel to hold my bags for me and then head out. I'd not worry about "compensation" at all unless it really was going to be a real inconvenience.
I was going to say the same thing.
And asking for a $50 F&B voucher smacks of DYKWIA.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:12 am

So if check in time is 4PM and checkout is 11A that is 19 hours

2/19ths of the purchase price seems fair.

As for having it both ways

1. SPG has managed this quite well so MR should be able too as well
2. you book a room based on the terms given in this case 4PM is check in; check out is 11A but if your earned benefit is a late checkout, that is not both ways, its something you have earned.

the hotel took a chance when they took this large group and gave them a 4P checkout; compensation that they figured that they would have to hand out should have been calculated into the sale price to the large group. At a minimum $xxx of this sale would be passed on to the customers being inconvenienced
Really??? So that's why I had to wait until 7 PM for a ready room at a Starwood hotel because "they manage it quite well" Apparently not all of them do

(Oh and compensation??? A a Platinum I was not given a lecture by the manager on why 4 pm check in was only an advisory, I guess that counts?)

Funniest post of the day.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
1. SPG has managed this quite well so MR should be able too as well
Do you really think that Marriott or Starwood corporate management is getting into the details of whether a large group in a particular hotel has a late checkout agreement?

Seems to me this is all about the GM and Rooms Manager of that particular hotel and has very little to do with which flag is flying out front.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, this can be a huge PITA for those driving / flying a (long) distance to the hotel for a wedding, dinner or other event and depending on showering/dressing time. More than doubly worse if a woman is traveling. Happened to us one driving to the Baltimore Marriott waterfront, our pre arranged suite was not ready, they couldn't have been nicer and gave us a regular room to use in the meantime. Kudos to them...

Last edited by joshua362; Mar 6, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Readog
Hello,

I have a stay coming up this week one night starting Thursday night at an Autograph Collection. Co-worker and I booked at the same hotel and we are Plat premier and platinum. We received an email today informing us that the hotel has a "large group checking out the day of our check-in, and the hotel may not be able to accommodate a check-in before 6 PM".

My question is: Can they do this when the published check-in time for the reservation is 4 PM? Also, should any compensation be given? This is a first for me with Marriott after 1000s of nights but I know these Autograph Collection properties can sometimes be a little quirky. Curious to see what others have encountered and how they have handled this.
Just a wild-arse guess as to the property in question - Are the New York Rangers in town?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by txpenny
Just a wild-arse guess as to the property in question - Are the New York Rangers in town?
They are. I am going to the game.

Normally, I wouldn't care about this and would have been fine just dropping off my bag and doing whatever, but I am working in the area and get off around 4 and want to go to the hotel, get to my room and change/relax a bit before dinner. So getting into my room at 4/4:30 would have been ideal. If it really does become 6, it is a bigger headache than I wanted.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Readog
They are. I am going to the game.

Normally, I wouldn't care about this and would have been fine just dropping off my bag and doing whatever, but I am working in the area and get off around 4 and want to go to the hotel, get to my room and change/relax a bit before dinner. So getting into my room at 4/4:30 would have been ideal. If it really does become 6, it is a bigger headache than I wanted.
The large group at the hotel is the Rangers.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Anyone who insists on compensation for this should have their member record noted to forever refuse any requests for late checkout. You can't have it both ways.
But they've promised it to us both ways. So yes, now I expect it.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I give this hotel (and here we go again with not naming properties) HUGE kudos for proactively notifying guests of this situation. I think we've all been at places where our room "wasn't quite ready" for hours after normal check-in time, and it is much more frustrating not knowing in advance. $50 is probably over-the-top, but I would probably ask the hotel if they'd be willing to comp a drink and an appetizer at their bar. That's where I'd end up spending the extra couple of hours anyway, it doesn't cost the hotel much, and seems like a fair goodwill gesture.
This. Props to the hotel for notifying people, a drink/app chit for the bar seems quite reasonable. I've had this happen at two or three Starwoods over the years where I had been assigned a suite that the previous guest wasn't vacating until 4PM. That seemed like a reasonable solution.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I frequently get to SPG hotels after 4pm and they tell me the room's not ready because someone had late checkout.
In my experience with Starwood, they've offered to get me into an alternative (read: non-upgraded) room immediately if I preferred that over the upgrade. Being in the room at exactly 4PM isn't usually a huge deal for me, so a drink/app at the bar while I wait is okay.

The large group at the hotel is the Rangers.
Oh crap...we know how hockey players treat hotel rooms. Might be a lot later than 6PM when you actually get into a room...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
That is one heck of a guess considering the limited information provided originally
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
That is one heck of a guess considering the limited information provided originally
Right; if it had been "hockeyinsider", I would have understood.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer OP's question, "yes", they can do it. In fact, they've done it. You, of course, may cancel and if you are inside some cutoff or have a prepaid rate, you are entitled to do so for a refund or without penalty.

A better run property, when this happens, would proactively have included something such as a couple of drinks or the like in the email apologizing for the delay.

An even better run property, given that it presumably knew of this some time ago, would have told the last X people booking, at the time of booking, that they would need to accept a 6 PM check-in. There are many people flying in later who could have cared less.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:22 pm

There is no way a Hotel is going to pass on a "Large Group. I don't know if the large group is 50% or 100% of the hotel the night before! Anyway no hotel is going to pass up on that money. I am sure they will compensate you! Even if it is free food and drinks that outweighs probably how much money they are making. I would be satisfied getting bonus points and free food and beverage.

I will say this though. If I had a dinner to get to at 6pm and was flying in expecting to shower and change when I arrived at 4 but now can't I would be little upset!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.