Check in not available until 6PM?

Old Mar 7, 18, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Most hotels give housekeepers about 25 minutes to clean a room. If a hotel doesn't want to buy you a drink and/or dinner then it should pay (likely minimum wage) another housekeeper to clean the rooms of a platinum-premier and platinum guest as soon as the previous guest leaves the room. There's no reason why it should take 2 hours to clean a room. The hotel is just being lazy by not having enough housekeepers in the late-afternoon.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 6:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Marriott15 View Post
I will say this though. If I had a dinner to get to at 6pm and was flying in expecting to shower and change when I arrived at 4 but now can't I would be little upset!
I'd guess they don't have 100% of the hotel locked up until late. I'd also guess the notice sent out was a blast to everyone with a reservation (i.e. they didn't check individual elite status, etc.). And finally, I'd also guess the hotel will have some rooms that can be available at 4pm that hotel can offer should someone of interest (i.e. high level elite, regular guest, really squeaky wheel, etc.) really push for.

So the most likely scenario is if the OP and their friend (PP + P) really want a room at 4pm, they'll get one. If I were in this situation and I knew I really wanted to get into a room no later than 4pm, I'd probably reach out to the hotel management now to let them know of my situation and "ask" (not tell) them if there is any way they can help get me a room by the 4pm normal check-in time, it would be very appreciated.
C17PSGR and CJKatl like this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Most hotels give housekeepers about 25 minutes to clean a room. If a hotel doesn't want to buy you a drink and/or dinner then it should pay (likely minimum wage) another housekeeper to clean the rooms of a platinum-premier and platinum guest as soon as the previous guest leaves the room. There's no reason why it should take 2 hours to clean a room. The hotel is just being lazy by not having enough housekeepers in the late-afternoon.
Why do they need to bring in extra housekeepers when they could just give the P and PP the first rooms done by the housekeepers already working? Which they will likely do if the OP calls and explains the situation. Isn't the hotel limited by the number of housekeeping carts, etc., or are you suggesting the hotel should purchase more equipment for this single instance or send housekeepers into a room without the needed equipment?
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Why do they need to bring in extra housekeepers when they could just give the P and PP the first rooms done by the housekeepers already working? Which they will likely do if the OP calls and explains the situation. Isn't the hotel limited by the number of housekeeping carts, etc., or are you suggesting the hotel should purchase more equipment for this single instance or send housekeepers into a room without the needed equipment?
You could have one cart between rooms 101 and 102 and two housekeepers leapfrogging over each other to get the rooms on that floor clean in half the time.
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:41 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
You could have one cart between rooms 101 and 102 and two housekeepers leapfrogging over each other to get the rooms on that floor clean in half the time.
The hotel would be setting up a crusterfluck. "Do you have the vacuum?" or "Just hurry up so I can use the glass cleaner." Or put another way, how would you feel if you worked at a call center and someone said, "Just share a cubical with Nancy. You can share the phone, the computer and the chair." You don't hamstring your employees by not giving them what they need but still expect them to do the right job.

Plus the first rooms wouldn't be ready any earlier if you bring in more housekeepers. Yes, more rooms might be ready in 25 minutes if the hotel had equipped extra staff, but even with the regular number of housekeepers the earliest rooms would be ready would be 25 minutes in and enough rooms would be ready, assuming there are at least two housekeepers, to meet the need for the P and PP. And likely several other guests. The hotel could put two housekeepers in a room at the same time to maybe get the room ready faster, but they could already do this with existing staff to knock out a few rooms ten minutes earlier accommodate the P and PP, then go back to a single housekeeper per room.
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
I'd guess they don't have 100% of the hotel locked up until late. I'd also guess the notice sent out was a blast to everyone with a reservation (i.e. they didn't check individual elite status, etc.). And finally, I'd also guess the hotel will have some rooms that can be available at 4pm that hotel can offer should someone of interest (i.e. high level elite, regular guest, really squeaky wheel, etc.) really push for.

So the most likely scenario is if the OP and their friend (PP + P) really want a room at 4pm, they'll get one. If I were in this situation and I knew I really wanted to get into a room no later than 4pm, I'd probably reach out to the hotel management now to let them know of my situation and "ask" (not tell) them if there is any way they can help get me a room by the 4pm normal check-in time, it would be very appreciated.
This.
Old Mar 8, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman View Post
That is one heck of a guess considering the limited information provided originally
I was guessing the Cosmo in Las Vegas, but then I realized they wouldn’t actually give a warning.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
Any update?
Old Mar 9, 18, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
Any update?
Yes, we got there around 4:30 due to traffic and most of the Rangers had just left. Luckily we were the only 2 people trying to check in and got 2 rooms without issue. The front desk attendant said they were expecting some check ins and they still had not yet arrived. Don't know if they ran into issue but we did not.
CJKatl and txpenny like this.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, MR PP,
This happens too frequently for me. We are often arriving after a long day of traveling.
My problem with those that think this is okay is: at what point is not okay? Is 6:30 check in okay? Is 7:30 check in okay?
Old Mar 10, 18, 3:06 am

I think $50 F&B credit is more than reasonable, it doesn't actually cost the hotel $50.

Regardless of whether a member is platinum or not if a hotel has sold time in the hotel, it is not appropriate to deliver less than that to paying customers after the sale has been made.
This isn't because of some situation that arose that was beyond their control that I would have sympathy for. They made a commercial decision to provide more services to some guests at the expense of others.

In most situations if you overstay your check out times, a fee would have to be paid. Sure as elite members we may be able to request a later checkout but that is a benefit of loyalty. For example a coffee shop might give you a free cup of coffee for every 9 you purchase. That does not make it alright for them to give you slightly less than the standard cup of coffee one day because they decided to provide others with more and didn't have a sufficient amount left.

In most situations hotels would rely on not all guests arriving at exactly 4pm to cater for late check outs. In this case they obviously realised that with the number of late check outs occurring they would likely have a situation where they could not have sufficient rooms ready for guests checking in. I think it would have been much better for them to offer a free drink and maybe a snack for anybody who arrives at the hotel and could not check in by the advertised time. This should have been stated in the email.

On occasion where this has happened to me, they have always been very apologetic and offered a drink or snack at the bar while waiting. It doesn't cost them much at all, keeps the guests happy and the least they could do for not meeting what customers have paid for.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: