Wiki Posts
Search

No Coke, Pepsi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
No Coke, Pepsi

A look into the future for those of us that hoped the merger might bring back Coke. I stayed at the Sheraton in Montreal this week. The lounge is huge and instead of grab your own beverage, they have a bar and a bartender in the lounge. Yes, soda is still free (but I hate the feeling of I need to tip for a soda I could have grabbed myself). I asked for a Coke (as I always do) and the bartender replied "is Pepsi" ok"? "We just switched due to the merger with Marriott."
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:24 am

When does the Marriott/Pepsi contract end?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tt-merger.html

Not a universally popular or welcomed change in SPG-land ....
twa777 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Thanks! I never looked there. This was my first SPG stay.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Except at Atlanta properties apparently...
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, United Premier Executive
My standard reply to "Is Pepsi OK?" is "Is Monopoly money OK?" It works a little better when you actually pay for the drink. It makes the point but usually gets a smile.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by DyvrDan
My standard reply to "Is Pepsi OK?" is "Is Monopoly money OK?" It works a little better when you actually pay for the drink. It makes the point but usually gets a smile.
Except the person to which you are making the point has zero power in the decision about which products to carry.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I really can't get excited about the Coke/Pepsi thing. Seriously, of all the SPG/MAR things to worry about this is so, so far down the list....

Cheers.
Brendan, JoeWoodstock and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I can barely tell the difference, if at all. In stores I buy whichever cola is on sale ! So I just don't get those of y'all with a strong preference for Coke vs. Pepsi !
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DyvrDan
I got that so often at a pepsi restaurant and usually just say, "nah I will just have water then".

By the way, maybe some of us don't really care, but I only drink unhealthy once in a while. After taking early morning flight, work the entire Monday and head back to hotel around mid-night, I just want to get something guilty, and was told sorry no coke - ruined my day!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If switching to Pepsi products leads to people drinking a bit less soda, that's probably a good thing.
CJKatl and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:36 am

I always get sugar free and much prefer diet Pepsi to diet coke.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mathprof
I always get sugar free and much prefer diet Pepsi to diet coke.
OT: After the Israeli study was published in Nature Magazine and the results of the Perdue University study were made public I stopped drinking diet sodas and lost over seventy pounds with no effort. I went from Size 42 jeans to Size 34. From a 19" tight shirt neck to a 17". With no effort, other than getting rid of diet sodas. IMO Even one a day can impact your system in a way that makes you gain weight. Now I have an occasional sugar soda which does not leave me wanting more like the IMO addictive diet sodas always did. Mostly I drink water and seltzer water.

My sister stopped drinking diet sodas, lost weight and felt great, but appears to be addicted again and heavier than ever, with health issues because of that. She is now swigging the ICE sodas. Some random guy on a plane was sitting next to me, chugging his Diet Coke at eight in the morning. He regularly emails me now thanking me for making him think about what he was doing. He also lost weight when he cut out the diet sodas.

End of rant based on personal opinion...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Except the person to which you are making the point has zero power in the decision about which products to carry.
Plus I'd wager that most waiters (especially in NY) won't bother to tell you of the difference and the swill communal tap dispenser tastes all the same anyway...
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
OT: After the Israeli study was published in Nature Magazine and the results of the Perdue University study were made public I stopped drinking diet sodas and lost over seventy pounds with no effort. I went from Size 42 jeans to Size 34. From a 19" tight shirt neck to a 17". With no effort, other than getting rid of diet sodas. IMO Even one a day can impact your system in a way that makes you gain weight. Now I have an occasional sugar soda which does not leave me wanting more like the IMO addictive diet sodas always did. Mostly I drink water and seltzer water.

Some random guy on a plane was sitting next to me, chugging his Diet Coke at eight in the morning. He regularly emails me now thanking me for making him think about what he was doing. He also lost weight when he cut out the diet sodas.

End of rant based on personal opinion...
Off-topic: If you lost 70lbs solely due to stop drinking sodas, then you were obviously drinking too many sodas. I rarely drink diet soda, but if I want one at 8am on a plane or at breakfast at a hotel I'd tell you to MYOB if you decided to lecture/'educate' me.

On-topic: diet coke or diet pepsi are fine for me/interchangable. I'm not as concerned about either, as much as I am what other changes program wise are coming down the road.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.