Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What The Marriott Courtyards Of The 80's and Early-To-Mid 90's Looked Like

What The Marriott Courtyards Of The 80's and Early-To-Mid 90's Looked Like

Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
The first-generation Fairfield Inn design (1987) -- a very basic hotel/motel building with two floors of outside entrance rooms and a third floor interior hallway rooms -- did not last long. Fairfield Inn quickly switched to three floors with interior hallways (and then to a broader range of heights and designs).

[...]

As far as I know, Marriott has never "sold off" or forced out first-generation Fairfield Inns with outside entrances, as long as they maintain standards.

Here's one (and there are undoubtedly others):

Fairfield Inn Ontario (California):
Extended Stay Hotel in Ontario, CA Fairfield Inn & Suites

Meanwhile, a lot of owners have reflagged to other brands, which is not surprising for limited service hotels that are now around 30 years old. Here are some examples:

Baymont Inn & Suites Flagstaff:
https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/baymon...staff/overview

Quality Inn Placentia Anaheim:
https://www.choicehotels.com/califor...n-hotels/cae09

Motel 6 Columbus West:
https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.oh.columbus.4618.html

I also see plenty of hotels recognizable as former Fairfield Inns that don't have outside entrances on any floors.

A very large Fairfield Inn with outside hallways is the Fairfield Inn by Marriott Anaheim Resort (walking distance to Disneyland). It was built in 1987 as a Ramada Hotel. I don't know when it converted to a Fairfield Inn.
Another SoCal Fairfield Inn with all outside corridors (3 floors in the main building, 4 floors in a smaller extra building) is Fairfield Inn Anaheim Hills. I don't know anything about its history, though.

Exterior corridor hotels in general (regardless of brand or program) are way more common in the [low elevation] Southwest than in many other parts of the country. It helps when the hotel is an area which pretty much never sees freezing temperatures. (Though it'd be nice if they could cover the path from your room to the lobby and to the breakfast room, given that in Southern California "it never rains, but man it pours" ).

It's quite another thing to find exterior corridor hotels in places that get significant snowfall each year, yet I've seen them there too .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's quite another thing to find exterior corridor hotels in places that get significant snowfall each year, yet I've seen them there too .
Years ago I stayed at a FFI in Warren, MI built with exterior corridors on the lower floors and interior on the top. The pictures online showed only the enclosed parts when I selected the hotel for a trip with a few colleagues. Well, I happened to get one of the interior-access rooms so I didn't even notice the difference while my colleagues both were assigned lower floors. They gave me a lot of grief for choosing that property. BTW, the property is no longer with the brand.

Last edited by darthbimmer; Sep 10, 2018 at 5:29 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Years ago I stayed at a FFI in Warren, MI built with exterior corridors on the lower floors and interior on the top. The pictures online showed only the enclosed parts when I selected itself for myself and my colleagues. Well, I happened to get one of the interior-access rooms so I didn't even notice the difference while my colleagues both were assigned lower floors. They gave me a lot of grief for choosing that property. BTW, the property is no longer with the brand.
Good story.

That Fairfield Inn is now Days Inn & Suites Warren. It still has the first-generation Fairfield Inn configuration, with an interior hallway only on the third floor, as the photo on the official Wyndham website shows:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/days-i...arren/overview
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is that based on? Obviously you have never been to Breezewood, PA, which is in the western middle of the PA turnpike. It is one of two places in the US where the interstate is not a limited access highway and has traffic lights. The town reportedly has more hotel rooms per capita than any other, most of which are exterior access motel rooms. These are in an area where temps are well below freezing much of the winter. In fact, there are many motels throughout rural PA.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
What is that based on? Obviously you have never been to Breezewood, PA, which is in the western middle of the PA turnpike. It is one of two places in the US where the interstate is not a limited access highway and has traffic lights. The town reportedly has more hotel rooms per capita than any other, most of which are exterior access motel rooms. These are in an area where temps are well below freezing much of the winter. In fact, there are many motels throughout rural PA.
I'm talking about 3+ story "hotels" with exterior corridors and elevators, and in brands that belong to hotel programs with forums on FT, not random "motels" one happens to spot along the road. Obviously, most 1-to-2-story motels in most places have exterior corridors and no elevator.

And, btw, there's a gap between "exterior corridor" hotels and "totally enclosed hotels". As in, if the hotel has internal corridors, but you have to go outside to get to the breakfast room or to the front desk, can that really be considered totally "interior" corridors?

Btw, I looked up Breezewood, and apparently it's one of only two places in the country where a two-digit interstate has intersections. But that implies that some three-digit (shorter-range) interstates might have at-grade intersections too. And indeed, when I looked further, I found this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...state_Highways

which shows several 3-digit interstates with traffic lights, plus more with at-grade intersections without traffic lights. One even has a traffic circle!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 13, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:17 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Yep, "reflagged" is probably a better word choice than "sold off." Marriott hasn't actually owned most of its portfolio since the Steve Bollenbach spin-off-the-real-estate effort in about 1992.

Original Fairfield Inns didn't offer breakfast at all. That had to be retrofitted into properties when the "free breakfast" wave swept through all budget and midprice hotels in the 90s.
The debut Fairfields had no breakfast? My dad was exposed to a Fairfield in Arizona when it first debuted...IDK if he even noticed it.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

it amazes me how tight of standards marriott has for their hotels. exterior-corridor courtyards never existed, and interior corridor is what makes them better. it's why a lot of the debut-era fairfield and residence inn hotels are leaving marriott. a little sad, because my dad remembers them all. but that's what you get when properties no longer meet requirements.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
What is the benefit/purpose of exterior corridors on the bottom two floors and interior corridors on the top? Is it merely an aesthetic thing? Are those interior rooms sold for a premium? Don't think I have ever seen a hotel like that, so a bit curious.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
What is the benefit/purpose of exterior corridors on the bottom two floors and interior corridors on the top? Is it merely an aesthetic thing? Are those interior rooms sold for a premium? Don't think I have ever seen a hotel like that, so a bit curious.
Somebody at Marriott must have thought it was good idea 31 years ago. We can only guess why.

It didn't take long for Fairfield Inn standards to change.

Fairfield Inn Ontario (Calif.) still has this odd arrangement: Ontario CA Hotel - Fairfield Inn Ontario Hotel near Ontario Airport, Mall and Speedway

I doubt anyone could build such a hotel today and get a Fairfield Inn franchise. I also doubt that such a hotel that was reflagged to another brand could rejoin Fairfield Inns. But, apparently, if an older property is properly maintained and pays what is contractually due, Marriott allows it to remain a Fairfield Inn.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Somebody at Marriott must have thought it was good idea 31 years ago. We can only guess why.

It didn't take long for Fairfield Inn standards to change.

Fairfield Inn Ontario (Calif.) still has this odd arrangement: Ontario CA Hotel - Fairfield Inn Ontario Hotel near Ontario Airport, Mall and Speedway

I doubt anyone could build such a hotel today and get a Fairfield Inn franchise. I also doubt that such a hotel that was reflagged to another brand could rejoin Fairfield Inns. But, apparently, if an older property is properly maintained and pays what is contractually due, Marriott allows it to remain a Fairfield Inn.
i agree.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
No need to guess; marketing research 30+ years ago indicated that there was demand (still) for motorists who could drive up to their room (or reasonably close to it); while business travelers arriving by - wait for it - taxi or shuttle, not Uber or Lyft (!), might choose the perceived security of an interior corridor.

Residence Inn is a different animal - at the time, it was the only Marriott brand purchased from outside rather than developed from inside. The RI purchase predates even Ritz-Carlton. Virtually all of the remaining outside-entrance RIs are builds from the original developer of RI. At the time, the idea was to evoke more of a sense of an apartment home than a hotel.

Very quickly, labor studies and efficiencies led to abandoning exterior entrance rooms forever. It's a lot cheaper to move housekeeping carts via an elevator system to interior corridors, and any kind of weather is going to inhibit the ability of a housekeeper to clean a room in 21 minutes or whatever the Marriott standard is these days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

No need to guess; marketing research 30+ years ago indicated that there was demand (still) for motorists who could drive up to their room (or reasonably close to it); while business travelers arriving by - wait for it - taxi or shuttle, not Uber or Lyft (!), might choose the perceived security of an interior corridor.

Residence Inn is a different animal - at the time, it was the only Marriott brand purchased from outside rather than developed from inside. The RI purchase predates even Ritz-Carlton. Virtually all of the remaining outside-entrance RIs are builds from the original developer of RI. At the time, the idea was to evoke more of a sense of an apartment home than a hotel.

Very quickly, labor studies and efficiencies led to abandoning exterior entrance rooms forever. It's a lot cheaper to move housekeeping carts via an elevator system to interior corridors, and any kind of weather is going to inhibit the ability of a housekeeper to clean a room in 21 minutes or whatever the Marriott standard is these days.
Good point.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
All still accurate. And personally I prefer properties that combine the best of both arrangements: an interior corridor with controlled access for security, plus a reasonable number of (locking) external entrances to the corridor so I can come & go more easily if my room is far from the front desk.

It's not just labor studies but also customer accessibility & safety that's driven the move away from the solely exterior entrances of the classic townhouse-style RIs. Dragging heavy bags to a second floor entrance is at worst a minor nuisance if you're well mobile; but it ranges from hard to dangerous to impossible if you're not. Plus, if snowy or icy conditions exist, as they did when I stayed at one such property in March of this year, the sidewalks and stairs are dangerous for everyone.
SPN Lifer, DenverBrian and bresnab like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
I still remember early/mid 80's a co-worker staying at a Residence Inn (in Boulder) which had external entrances. I believe it still exists, perhaps: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...e-inn-boulder/

She was staying there for a couple/few weeks and we were all amazed at the free breakfast, beer/wine at dinner time, and the fireplace in the room.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by copyright1997
I still remember early/mid 80's a co-worker staying at a Residence Inn (in Boulder) which had external entrances. I believe it still exists, perhaps: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...e-inn-boulder/

She was staying there for a couple/few weeks and we were all amazed at the free breakfast, beer/wine at dinner time, and the fireplace in the room.
My dad stayed at that same location back in the day. Not sure what year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.