Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 Category Changes as of March 6, 2018

Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

List is out:
2018 Marriott Rewards | Changes to Categories & TiersCheck out what hotels are changing—and maximize your points.

On March 6, 2018, the Marriott Rewards® annual category changes will take effect. This year, 74% will stay the same, 21% will move up and 5% will move down.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
The annual brace yourselves...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Pretty brutal.

The list of Cat 5s grows ever shorter.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I got lucky. I already booked my Cat 1-4 cert at a hotel that's (undeservingly) moving up to Cat 5.

At least my Tokyo option isn't changing.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
No surprises that Phu Quoc, the travel package favorite, got hiked to a Cat 6.

Pretty much everything in Central Asia and Eastern Europe seems to have been bumped up too. I suppose Skopje Marriott and Courtyard Sarajevo being the sole properties to go down in those regions is supposed to make up for it.

Well, at least they made CY Seoul Namdaemun a Cat 5, so I could consider that for a travel package next time I visit South Korea.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Pretty brutal.

The list of Cat 5s grows ever shorter.
This is a hard hit. Again.
MR should start to offer Cat. 1-6 certs for Megabonus etc. Or else you can only redeem for lower brand roadside hotels in the middle of nowhere...
My fave redemption will go up for the second year in a row and be a Cat. 6 going forward.
Dalewood likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Summary:
Code:
 29 Cat 2 => 1
242 Cat 2 => 3

63 Cat 3 => 2
264 Cat 3 => 4

42 Cat 4 => 3
185 Cat 4 => 5

49 Cat 5 => 4
124 Cat 5 => 6

45 Cat 6 => 5
 69 Cat 6 => 7

17 Cat 7 => 6
 90 Cat 7 => 8

2 Cat 8 => 7
 21 Cat 8 => 9
Brendan, beltway, sdsearch and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:09 am

Canada (especially Ontario) is being hit hard. Between the loss of the MR credit card and this points devaluation, we may rethink our loyalty to Marriott.
Brendan, airstream74 and MAXII like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: MVP Gold
This shall be interesting...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Brutal for Marriott

Net + 836

vs. SPG

Net +13

I think that means over 20% of Marriott properties are going up.

Cat 9 Fairfield Inn!
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 8, 2018 at 11:39 am
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What surprises me is how so many domestic (Canada/United States) properties are classified as category-8 or category-9, but international properties -- including some of the best properties in the vast portfolio of Marriott brands -- are classified at lower categories. Moreover, I can't believe there are limited-service properties in the Fairfield Inn or Courtyard brands that are considered to be category-9. That's just crazy. There should be some correlation to services/amenities offered and category classification.

I can't imagine many circumstances in which redeeming points for a category-9 limited-service property is a better value than paying the cash rate.

I also notice that pretty much every full-service domestic hotel moving up a category has underwent a significant renovation in the last year or so. The one exception that stands out to me is the Renaissance Carambola in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. This hotel isn't even open -- it was badly damaged by the hurricanes. By the same token, hotels that are in need of a renovation -- the Marriott in Troy (Detroit suburbs) or Marriott Norfolk, Virginia -- dropped a category.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Summary:
Code:
29 Cat 2 => 1
242 Cat 2 => 3

63 Cat 3 => 2
264 Cat 3 => 4

42 Cat 4 => 3
185 Cat 4 => 5

49 Cat 5 => 4
124 Cat 5 => 6

45 Cat 6 => 5
69 Cat 6 => 7

17 Cat 7 => 6
90 Cat 7 => 8

2 Cat 8 => 7
21 Cat 8 => 9
The cat 5 to 6 changes are painful because we can't use MegaBonus or Chase certificates anymore...but almost worse are the changes at the lower levels, because they are such a large percentage increase in the points required. For example, a cat 2 where we'll be staying next month for 10k points is a good deal. But the next time we stay, we'd have to pay 50% more points for a cat 3! I'd rather stay at the Hampton Inn across the street for $98.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What surprises me is how so many domestic (Canada/United States) properties are classified as category-8 or category-9, but international properties -- including some of the best properties in the vast portfolio of Marriott brands -- are classified at lower categories. Moreover, I can't believe there are limited-service properties in the Fairfield Inn or Courtyard brands that are considered to be category-9. That's just crazy. There should be some correlation to services/amenities offered and category classification.
But there's not. It's been said here before, I think by those who are in the know, that categories are set only by the desirability of the property for redemptions. So if there's a Courtyard on Maui, even if it's next to the airport and otherwise indistinguishable from any mainland airport Courtyard, it will be a Cat 8!
I guess that explains why the cat 2 I just mentioned above is going to cat 3. I referred to it as a "good deal" at cat 2. It must have become too desirable for redemptions at that rate.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ehallison
But there's not. It's been said here before, I think by those who are in the know, that categories are set only by the desirability of the property for redemptions. So if there's a Courtyard on Maui, even if it's next to the airport and otherwise indistinguishable from any mainland airport Courtyard, it will be a Cat 8!
I guess that explains why the cat 2 I just mentioned above is going to cat 3. I referred to it as a "good deal" at cat 2. It must have become too desirable for redemptions at that rate.
But who selects this? And how much input does the owner/franchisee/general manager have on it? Because some of the category classifications are absurd, especially when you can get a 5-star international property at category-5 or lower.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Wow, some really rough changes here.

Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, Lisbon Marriott, Courtyard Toronto...

Not a lot of positive changes. Although Courtyard Madrid is nice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.