Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 Category Changes as of March 6, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Category Changes as of March 6, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by travelbugging
would I be able to apply my annual free night cat 1-5 certificate to the reservation even though I won't receive the certificate till after the change takes place (getting it in April)?
As far as I've seen, you must have the certificate in your account to even book the room.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by joshua362
If it was solely a supply & demand issue, the annual reallocation would roughly net out to zero.
That assumes the supply : demand ratio is constant, which is unlikely to be true.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by joshua362
If it was solely a supply & demand issue, the annual reallocation would roughly net out to zero. Except it does not, year after year. And we have this (healthy) discussion year after year and it does not matter. And it won't when the big one hits the combined program. The only influencing factor is competition and that's headed in the wrong direction too..
Why do you assume that? With inflation hotel prices go up and people earn more points. Stands to reason it will cost more to redeem them.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: MR, IHG, HH, AAR, DAL, UAL
Well The Ritz Carlton in Coconut Grove FL went from Cat 3 to Cat 2 ---> so we have that in our favour....
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As far as I've seen, you must have the certificate in your account to even book the room.
Absolutely not. You need that certificate to stay at the hotel, but you can hold the reservation up to one week before the stay without the points or certificate yet posting.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by yurtripper
No surprises that Phu Quoc, the travel package favorite, got hiked to a Cat 6.

Pretty much everything in Central Asia and Eastern Europe seems to have been bumped up too. I suppose Skopje Marriott and Courtyard Sarajevo being the sole properties to go down in those regions is supposed to make up for it.

Well, at least they made CY Seoul Namdaemun a Cat 5, so I could consider that for a travel package next time I visit South Korea.
Hereby entering multiple speculative rewards bookings there at Cat 5 level, until I know when I want to stay there !
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Absolutely not. You need that certificate to stay at the hotel, but you can hold the reservation up to one week before the stay without the points or certificate yet posting.
Exactly. This is one of the features I've really liked over the years about Marriott's program. Having the ability to make an award reservation without having the points (or a certificate) in my account allows me to use points in high occupancy situations that I wouldn't otherwise be able to. ^
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl

So I can book it now and use my certificate in April? Thanks CJKatl, you've been so helpful with all my Marriott questions. Wrong thread for this but my family and I enjoyed our stay at the Ren Bangkok which you recommended over the other Bangkok Marriotts!
CJKatl likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't know why anyone would keep or use a Chase card anymore after banking the signup bonus. Cat 5 is virtually useless for major tourist destinations.
Because not everyone needs to redeem only in major tourist destinations. And, also, not everyone is equally picky about brands either.

Everyone should make the decision themselves, depending on their travel patterns. Me, I never have a problem finding a place to use a Cat 1-5 cert within a year, so I keep the cards. Sometimes it's a better value, sometimes it's less of a value, but always it's well over the annual fee of the card ($85 for the personal, $99 for the business card). If you have a problem, you can dump the cards.

For example, one year I used it for a hotel next to BUF airport when I was arriving late (midnight-ish), on my way to Niagara Falls the next day. The airport hotels were expensive on cash, but there were multiple choices at cat 5 or below. Who cares that BUF airport itself is not a "major tourist destination"?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
but don't be overly surprised when this prop comes back with point stretcher dates

Originally Posted by yurtripper
No surprises that Phu Quoc, the travel package favorite, got hiked to a Cat 6.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Why do you assume that? With inflation hotel prices go up and people earn more points. Stands to reason it will cost more to redeem them.
Except hotel rates generally don't follow inflation's somewhat gradual 3% yearly incline, they swing wildly as to what the market will bear and gouge when they can. With the inflation logic, what cost 25,000 points to redeem one year should cost 25,000 x 1.03 = 25,750 the next, not 30,000.

These theories are interesting but I think there is more logic in bitcoin pricing then trying to ascribe rational behavior to these annual devalutions other than they can because its unregulated funny money that we are invested in and treat them as not.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JBauer
i don’t see any Ritz Hotels? I’m SPG and new here. Does that happen separately? Don’t see anything on their FT page. Thanks
I see five of them on the list. One is going up and four are going down.

Hint: Similar to "Westin" being named "The Westin", look under "The Ritz-Carlton".
JBauer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not saying that supply-and-demand isn't a factor. What I have said is that I believe the owner/franchisee or management also impacts the category or tier, as there are certainly properties that either make it difficult to redeem points without a significant surcharge or have a full exemption (Ritz-Carlton Singapore, the hotel in Miami, etc.). I also think there is a correlation between the age of the property and whether it has been renovated or not. For example, there are reports that the management of the J.W. in Vietnam that is a popular subject of discussion said they purposely opened at a lower category. Now, after about a year, they've moved up a full category. Meanwhile, properties that were also recently renovated bumped up while properties that are overdue for a renovation dropped.
Your statements aren’t inconsistent with the fact that MR categories are based solely on the number of reward redemptions. A brand new hotel has no baseline for redemptions, so if it’s nice and starts out as a good value, naturally it will get a lot of redemptions. I know people have found multiple instances where 3-4 year old hotels have gone up in category every year they’ve been open. And basically the point of renovations is to get more people to stay there.

Maybe there could be a small handful of exceptions, but to my knowledge resort fees are the same regardless of whether you are paying with cash or points.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

Originally Posted by piyush
I'm not at all surprised by the quantum of changes. In a majority of the city hotels are still cheaper using Marriott points than Starwood points when factoring in the exchange rate.

Won't surprise me if we see another big hit next year to bring the rates in line with what it costs using SPG points.
I could be wrong but I thought SPG points were generally considered as more valuable than MR points? If what you say is true it doesn’t make sense that this MR devaluation would be much worse than SPG’s, because if so you’d think they’d probably get a head start in starting to bump up more SPG properties.

MR does actually seem to care about keeping SPG members around, so I’d like to hope at least that when the programs fully merge there won’t be a huge devaluation when putting SPG hotels into MR (or some other combined) categories.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I could be wrong but I thought SPG points were generally considered as more valuable than MR points?
Earning versus spending:

Earning: There are several factors at play here, including status, possible welcome points, cc usage and number of nights in your stay. As a gold/plat at an SPG property, you earn 3 pts per dollar spent. If you spend one night at $100, received the 500 welcome gift points and did not use the cc, you will get 800 points. If you convert those to Marriott points you get 2,400 points. If you stayed at a Marriott and spend the same, you would receive 1,250 + 500 or 1,750 points for gold or 1,500 + 500 or 2k for plat. If you are a 75+ plat at SPG you would actually earn the equivalent of 2,700 Marriott points. Either way, you come out better earning at an SPG hotel. Of course, the more nights in your stay the more diluted the welcome gift points become.

Spending: Hard to say since SPG does not have a chart. IME, Marriott has more availability at better prices, but that's been my limited random experience. SPG does not have the Travel Package, which many of us find to be the best redemption opportunity. Choosing a random night (April 1) in Bangkok, the LM Silom, Sheratons and W are each 10k SPG points, equivalent to 30k MR points. The Aloft is 4k, or 12k equivalent. The FS Marriott hotels are 20k, the Ren is 25k, which are better bargains for similar hotels. The CY is 20k, much higher than the Aloft, but the CY is a much nicer hotel in a quieter location.

I checked a couple other cities and found all over the place results. In Raleigh, where there are very similar Sheraton and Marriott next door to each other, each was the same price. (10k SPG vs 30k MR) In FLL, you could stay on the beach for 35k Marriott points, but there were not SPG options available. So the bottom line is you really cannot definitively stay which is the best option on spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.