Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Top Three Things I Look For When Visiting A Hotel by Bill Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Top Three Things I Look For When Visiting A Hotel by Bill Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I've stayed at 21 Ws globally and counting now - you and many others may not like the vibe, the uniqueness, the (yes sometimes) pretension, which is all fine...but I actually see a lot of "standards":
- Living Room
- Sweat / Wet
- Whatever / Whenever
- Bliss
- A boutique-like experience from a major hotel brand (admittedly not as unique as it was when it first launched)
- A place that's not a Marriott or a Sheraton or any other brand that, to my and many eyes', is blandness personified

Some of my best experiences & most unique, fun, cool hotel rooms have been Ws...when I stay at one, I'm not looking for a club lounge or a wooden headbord

YMMV as always
@UA-NYC

My point was not to criticize W's. I'm a pretty reliable 150 night a year guy -- last year 100+ Marriott nights and 30ish SPG nights, including around 15 nights in W's last year. I've probably stayed at around 15 W's.

Also, I'm not suggesting that W's should look the same as Marriott's -- it's a different brand and different standards.

But, while they all have a bar called the Living Room, a pool called Wet, Bliss toiletries, and 24 room service (well at least some of them on that), the levels of service and elite recognition vary wildly. For example, I've been at a W that provides a breakfast benefit to plats of fruit and yogurt that may not be applied to anything else on the menu to W's that allow a credit for the cost of a continental breakfast to anything on the menu to W's that allow breakfast. I've been at several W's where there goal is to make sure locals keep flowing even if it means that guests (not to mention loyal guests) are significantly inconvenienced), another couple of W's close the Wet on the weekends!!!!!! for private DJ parties meaning no pool time for guests, and that's not even getting into one that doesn't upgrade and a GM that doesn't respond to emails.

So ... I like W's -- I'm not suggesting they should all look like Marriotts -- but I am suggesting that the two old guys in the picture wouldn't tolerate inconsistent service delivery or failure to meet the W's brand standards. Those three points that Bill notes apply across the brands.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The short article is an interesting insight into Bill Marriott's priorities. Mine would be similar to his except for on-site food. Food offerings do matter to me but at around #5 on my list, not #3 . My top three would be:

1. When I enter the hotel I want to enjoy a feeling of "Wow, this is a nice place." For example, when I stayed at the Fairfield Inn near NY Penn Station I was tickled by the high end design and materials of the lobby was. It made me feel like I was staying in a genuinely upscale hotel. My standards here are relative to the market, BTW. I've felt impressed with modest properties in small towns that keep their design fresh and well maintained. I enjoy the feeling that I've picked the nicest hotel locally in its price range.

2. I agree with Bill Marriott that employee engagement is critical. This is more a strategic thing than a tactical one. As a tactical matter I don't care, per se, whether the front desk employee smiles 7 times or only twice while checking me in, as long as s/he is prompt, courteous, and does the job correctly. But engagement is strategically important because it's a critical factor behind all issues of service quality, including those I just mentioned. Engagement means the front desk employee is waiting at the front desk, not hiding in the office surfing the web and making me wait for service. Engagement means employees notice and correct problems when they're small, often before they rise to the level of guest impact, rather than ignoring them until someone has to complain. And engagement also includes anticipating customer needs. "Mr. Bimmer, it's 9:55 right now at check-in and our restaurant closes at 10. If you're hungry I can suggest a few places nearby that are open late."

3. I want my room to be nice. Design and materials are important. I like it to look good as well as be comfortable. It doesn't have to be super fancy but it's a big plus to me when it's more than strictly utilitarian. This is assuming all the obvious basics are met, BTW. Everything promised or expected to be there needs to be there, and work. A fancy divan next to the window does not make up for no work desk or a noisy HVAC unit.
rafkeduck likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
@UA-NYC

My point was not to criticize W's. I'm a pretty reliable 150 night a year guy -- last year 100+ Marriott nights and 30ish SPG nights, including around 15 nights in W's last year. I've probably stayed at around 15 W's.

Also, I'm not suggesting that W's should look the same as Marriott's -- it's a different brand and different standards.

But, while they all have a bar called the Living Room, a pool called Wet, Bliss toiletries, and 24 room service (well at least some of them on that), the levels of service and elite recognition vary wildly. For example, I've been at a W that provides a breakfast benefit to plats of fruit and yogurt that may not be applied to anything else on the menu to W's that allow a credit for the cost of a continental breakfast to anything on the menu to W's that allow breakfast. I've been at several W's where there goal is to make sure locals keep flowing even if it means that guests (not to mention loyal guests) are significantly inconvenienced), another couple of W's close the Wet on the weekends!!!!!! for private DJ parties meaning no pool time for guests, and that's not even getting into one that doesn't upgrade and a GM that doesn't respond to emails.

So ... I like W's -- I'm not suggesting they should all look like Marriotts -- but I am suggesting that the two old guys in the picture wouldn't tolerate inconsistent service delivery or failure to meet the W's brand standards. Those three points that Bill notes apply across the brands.
I hear you - respect that you are doing a good amount of W stays, I just see a lot of criticism of W from people who might have stayed once or twice, didn't have an experience that met how they like to stay, and thus bash it. Frankly it's an acquired taste, and many of us (myself included) LIKE how different they are from property to property...the boutique experience in the framework of a larger loyalty program.

So I get the idea of "standards" (even though many of the "regular" brands already have their own lack of standards, in terms of design aesthetic, lounge hours, quality of lounge offering, regular vs. M Club, etc.). The SPG Platinum breakfast of course varies wildly (though there is a baseline standard to be adhered to).

W is a bit different from the other brands given that many of them have a pretty robust nightlife scene, and thus there may be conflicts vs. the needs of hotel guests...fair points. But that's also part of the deal in staying in a W in a first place...it's not a Westin or Marriott.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I
So I get the idea of "standards" (even though many of the "regular" brands already have their own lack of standards, in terms of design aesthetic, lounge hours, quality of lounge offering, regular vs. M Club, etc.). The SPG Platinum breakfast of course varies wildly (though there is a baseline standard to be adhered to).
Well, then it's a good thing Mr. Marriott is doing his visits...now we just need to get standards/consistency added to his top 3.

I would gladly have it replace food, which is just silly (for the customer) in this day and age, unless the property is not convenient to restaurants. That said, I get how food would be in his top 3 as it can easily drag profits down if customers aren't utilizing it. The optimist in me hopes that he's focusing on breakfast, which customers are MUCH more likely to eat at the hotel than lunch or dinner.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
And engagement also includes anticipating customer needs. "Mr. Bimmer, it's 9:55 right now at check-in and our restaurant closes at 10. If you're hungry I can suggest a few places nearby that are open late."
Count me as one who hates this. The staff doesn't know me, therefore they have no clue how to anticipate what I might want. I want my checkin to be fast and business-like. No additional chit-chat, no upselling, no "advice" that I don't ask for.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Count me as one who hates this. The staff doesn't know me, therefore they have no clue how to anticipate what I might want. I want my checkin to be fast and business-like. No additional chit-chat, no upselling, no "advice" that I don't ask for.
A truly engaged associate knows that every guest interaction is its own unique story, so they should be able to pick up on your body language and tone of voice to know that your shtick is efficiency.

Engaged associates increase the odds that every guest perceives that their own experience is better. @:-)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:15 pm

You can always edit your own posts ad infinitum.
Not in the new software. At least, not for me on Internet Explorer 11. All I get is a blank window:

Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Not in the new software. At least, not for me on Internet Explorer 11. All I get is a blank window:

Odd things have happened for sure. Using XP and Chrome, I can't see pictures including your image, just a placeholder.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Agree with most of the comments posted and having a "culture" that transcends throughout the chain is tough but not impossible. I usually stay at a wide variety of Marriott properties and have most been disappointed by the older Marriott properties. In fact, as one poster said I have also been very pleased with the Fairfield Inn I stay at regularly, no pomp or circumstance, just a nice clean room with adequate work space. My one gripe is the wide variety of RC that one can encounter. Many are amazing and great, but others are definitely in need of an upgrade both in aesthetics and staff. I only stay at RC for vacation and have no problems shelling out $$$ for conveniences and experience, however, when they fall short it's a major buzz kill.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I want my checkin to be fast and business-like. No additional chit-chat, no upselling, no "advice" that I don't ask for.
Soooooo much this.

(While I'm wishing, I wish the ride-share apps had a "quiet" box you could check so your driver would know to not try and engage in useless chit-chat, too!)
rafkeduck likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, there is actually a person named Marriott

I definitely value Marriott's consistency than anything else over other chains.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I don't care about food in the restaurant. What I do care about is a nice, clean hotel and a comfortable bed. One of my primary reasons for being there is to get a good nights sleep after all.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't care about food in the restaurant. What I do care about is a nice, clean hotel and a comfortable bed. One of my primary reasons for being there is to get a good nights sleep after all.
And quiet is a big part of that. If you look into the older link I provided above, Mr. Marriott himself doesn't sleep well in his own hotels due to noise. I wonder if goes to restaurants expecting good sleep...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by username
Oh, there is actually a person named Marriott

I read the thread title as if the OP was posting their expectations of a new brand “Hotel by Bill Marriott”

I think a comma after “Hotel” wouldn’t go amiss here.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I read the thread title as if the OP was posting their expectations of a new brand “Hotel by Bill Marriott”

I think a comma after “Hotel” wouldn’t go amiss here.
Agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.