Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ferrari owner sues Marriott, valet gives keys to wrong man

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

ST. PETERSBURG, FLA.—The owner of a $300,000 (U.S.) Ferrari is suing Marriott International, saying a hotel valet gave his keys to a young man who was trying to impress a woman he just met.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that 73-year-old attorney James (Skip) Fowler parked his yellow 458 Italia Spider outside the Vinoy Renaissance Resort & Golf Club on July 27, 2017 while attending a lawyer’s convention in St. Petersburg.

There the 2014 Ferrari remained for more than 12 hours, until Levi Miles, then 28, showed up. Miles said he told the woman it was his and demanded the keys, telling the valet that the ticket was in the car and he’d bring it back. He never did. The two sat in the car for “quite a while,” according to a St. Petersburg police report. Eventually, the valet said he stopped paying attention after he “figured he wasn’t getting a tip.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...wrong-man.html
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by imverge
ST. PETERSBURG, FLA.—The owner of a $300,000 (U.S.) Ferrari is suing Marriott International, saying a hotel valet gave his keys to a young man who was trying to impress a woman he just met.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that 73-year-old attorney James (Skip) Fowler parked his yellow 458 Italia Spider outside the Vinoy Renaissance Resort & Golf Club on July 27, 2017 while attending a lawyer’s convention in St. Petersburg.

There the 2014 Ferrari remained for more than 12 hours, until Levi Miles, then 28, showed up. Miles said he told the woman it was his and demanded the keys, telling the valet that the ticket was in the car and he’d bring it back. He never did. The two sat in the car for “quite a while,” according to a St. Petersburg police report. Eventually, the valet said he stopped paying attention after he “figured he wasn’t getting a tip.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...wrong-man.html
Let's call this the tale of 3 losers.

27 year old coke head...
300K claim on lost value of 4 y/o ferrari...
finally, 717 Parking - aweful company.

I'm not sure who I'd root for on this one.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:49 pm

The valet parking system is full of potentials for things to go wrong
Hand over a ticket stub and get the keys with no questions / verification?
In this case, not even getting a ticket and key was handed over?
Too much risks and liabilities on all the parties involved.

Back on this particular story, I can understand why the owner is upset.
So much unnecessary hassles.
Vehicle was probably impounded temporarily and searched by the police.
Need to send the vehicle back to the dealer for another once over etc.
Certainly compensation is due and like it or not, rich folks (lawyer) who owns USD 300,000 vehicles consider their time a premium.
And it would be an "insult" to be a lawyer by profession and not sue in a case like this.
Best of all, if he (James) files the case himself, there is no need to share the compensation
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
I found this story to be very injurious to me; I now need to sue everyone involved. I will be accepting representation offers immediately, I'm also cosidering suing myself for sexual harassment; spent far too long gazing in the mirror this morning, then patted myself on the bum while leaving for work.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Some hotels have valet only policy which I seen simply brought potential liability onto themselves regardless of contracting third party.

I had a friend who once handled the key to someone pretended restaurant valet guy in its parking lot. The car was never found and covered by insurance. Restaurant settled its part for full value in term of its restaurant credit. I liked its steak for years.

Maybe lawyer ends up with a lot of hotel credit and vouchers for years of vacation
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Everyone knows the valets should have been off driving the car at high speeds still, and certainly not sitting in the parking lot. Ooohhhh yeah!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Everyone knows the valets should have been off driving the car at high speeds still, and certainly not sitting in the parking lot. Ooohhhh yeah!
Danke shoen.

And now I have two ear worms competing in my head.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
I found this story to be very injurious to me; I now need to sue everyone involved. I will be accepting representation offers immediately, I'm also cosidering suing myself for sexual harassment; spent far too long gazing in the mirror this morning, then patted myself on the bum while leaving for work.
too soon....
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
If valet gives away my car, and I get someone else's by mistake, I'm probably in for an upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Come on...doesn't this remind u of Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Maybe the person who took it was the Sausage King of Chicago!!!!! lol
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Come on...doesn't this remind u of Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Maybe the person who took it was the Sausage King of Chicago!!!!! lol
Not sure what they teach in the schools you went to, but these are both Ferris Bueller references. Perhaps you need to spend a weekend painstakingly reviewing the film.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Danke shoen.
For more information, there's someone you should talk to.

If you say Ferris Bueller, you lose a testicle.

Oh, you know him?
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jan 27, 2018 at 8:12 am
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Fowler parked his yellow 458 Italia Spider outside the Vinoy Renaissance Resort & Golf Club on July 27, 2017 while attending a lawyer’s convention in St. Petersburg.
I knew there was a reason I went to law school

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.