Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page > Dinosaur in Paris II - The Hotel Fiasco [Hotels allowing 4 adults?]

Dinosaur in Paris II - The Hotel Fiasco [Hotels allowing 4 adults?]

Old Jan 23, 18, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Dinosaur in Paris II - The Hotel Fiasco [Hotels allowing 4 adults?]

Many thanks to forum members who helped me figure out how to get flights out of Paris over the last week.

The final piece of the puzzle is finding a place to stay in Paris for 5 nights (maybe 6) from July 1 - July 6. I thought that would be a slam dunk between 600K Marriott points and 600K Amex points (also 20K SPG)

Then I find out that I can't have 4 people in a room in Paris!

1. Is it true that I will need 2 rooms or a suite for my family of 4 in Paris?

2. If not, what specific properties in the SPG/Marriott program might take 4 in a room in Paris.

3. Are there other approaches that I should be looking at?
Old Jan 23, 18, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by nhw3w View Post
3. Are there other approaches that I should be looking at?
You could review the numerous threads in the Marriott and/or SPG forums that address family rooms and room capacity in Paris.

A moderator has been notified.
Old Jan 23, 18, 10:10 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Trying to figure out why anyone would write about a "hotel fiasco" prior to one's stay.

I sincerely believe that the OP has a lot of homework to do as opposed to complaining about finding reptiles in a hotel room which he hasn't yet checked into.
Old Jan 23, 18, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
The Tryp hotels in Paris have some great family rooms.
Old Jan 23, 18, 1:46 pm

From my findings, most rooms in Europe (Paris in particular) are small. Trying to squeeze in 4 is not impossible, but your level of comfort will go down drastically.
Old Jan 23, 18, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Standard hotel rooms in Europe will not accommodate more than one rollaway bed. Typically they are also not fire-safety approved for more than three people. You need two rooms, a suite, or a family room. You will have more luck with the latter with independent hotels rather than the US chains.
Old Jan 24, 18, 12:34 pm

try novotel
Old Jan 25, 18, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
AirBNB could work for you.
Old Jan 25, 18, 1:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I would try using Google a bit before posting something like this.

When I did, I came up with a listing, with mapped locations, of Paris accommodations with rooms for 5, 6, 7 abd 8 in a family room. Link.

Or this page, with accommodations for families of four, e.g. one queen and two twins, or four twins, etc. link

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 18 at 1:50 pm
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions. I really want to use points and that disqualifies many “family” properties.

I put down 130k SPG for 5 nights in the new Hotel de Berri.

May not keep it after some further Marriott research and Airbnb consideration.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to our MR forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 27, 18, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Sticking with standard hotel awards, we ended up with 2 rooms in Paris for just 2 adults and 2 kids (15 and 10). You'll need to go with rental apartments, AirBnB, etc., if you want 4 adults in one room, IMHO.

But if you're determined to have a fiasco, I guess you could get one room with two double beds, say that there are 2 adults, then try to sneak 2 more adults in. Fiascos will ensue.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 9:33 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Sticking with standard hotel awards, we ended up with 2 rooms in Paris for just 2 adults and 2 kids (15 and 10). You'll need to go with rental apartments, AirBnB, etc., if you want 4 adults in one room, IMHO.

But if you're determined to have a fiasco, I guess you could get one room with two double beds, say that there are 2 adults, then try to sneak 2 more adults in. Fiascos will ensue.
I've done the same two room solution a couple times, too. Friends were able to get a family room on points at the St Denis CY but had to call the hotel directly. And OP, the fact your are asking ahead of time and trying to find a solution is admirable. Please do not get suckered in by those who tell you to make a reservation for two and just show up with your family of four.

Rant alert: And yes, just showing up and demanding the hotel accommodate four people after making a reservation for two is a recipe for a real fiasco. There are laws preventing additional occupancy in French and some other European hotels. Not only will the hotel not bend the rules, nor will they often be able to or willing to give the larger room for the lower price, but I've come to think there are French hotel employees who live to give American guests a hard time when they try to pull this. The laws and hotel rules prevent overcrowding rooms for a reason. I'll never understand why people are so willing to put their children in potential physical danger to save a couple dollars. It reminds me of the people who claim their four YO is young enough to fly for free and sit with the child on the lap without regard to the child's safety, let alone anyone else on the plane. Contrary to popular belief, there is no rule/law requiring a hotel allow your children in every room as additional uncounted guests nor is there are Marriott policy to always let kids stay free. That's why the Website asks ages and limits choices.

Above someone mentions some Paris hotel rooms will only fit one rollaway bed, but many will not even fit that. I did the two room solution with my nieces a few years ago. When this topic came up a month or so ago I was having dinner with them and asked their opinions. They too could not imagine where a rollaway could have gone in their room other than in front of the door into the room, which, of course, would not be permitted and would be a very silly idea. Why not just nail the door shut and pray there's no fire?
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:20 am

Renaissance la defense has lots of family rooms with two queen beds and king beds with "double" sofabeds. Convenient on line 1 and has a lounge.
Old Jan 29, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (LT Gold), UA Silver, National Executive
I also highly recommend the Ren La Defense. We stayed there about a year ago with three children in the two-bed rooms and the rooms were quite large (slightly larger really than even a standard US room) and I found it to be really convenient (and modern) if you are okay with about a 15-20 minute subway ride to the sights (but fairly straight shot to most of them). I found the tradeoff quite good (and the costs for the room were much lower--with points you could probably get 2 rooms for the price of one in the heart of the city) since you generally need to take the metro around town regardless of where you stay.

Search this Thread