Search

Marriott Plationum Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Marriott Plationum Challenge

I have Marriott gold.

Just received a "one time offer" platinum elite challenge to complete nine separate paid stays through April 30, 2018. Once I complete the nine separate stays my account would be upgraded to Platinum Elite through January 2019.

If I qualify in April 2018, wouldn't status last until January 2020?

Perhaps it is better to to do the SPG 18 night challenge?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
There's at least one major thread on this subject already with the same question asked and answered.

Originally Posted by mauilana
I have Marriott gold.

Just received a "one time offer" platinum elite challenge to complete nine separate paid stays through April 30, 2018. Once I complete the nine separate stays my account would be upgraded to Platinum Elite through January 2019.

If I qualify in April 2018, wouldn't status last until January 2020?

Last edited by Srisarin; Jan 16, 2018 at 5:26 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:33 am

Marriott Status qualification works that way that you earn your 2019 status in 2018. So whichever status you earn in 2018 will take immediate effect in 2018 and will be good for the 2019 status period which runs until Feb 2020.I can't see why completing a platinum challenge that requires 18 stays should be superior or easier to complete than a platinum challenge that requires just 9 stays.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

I assumed it would be good until January 2020, but the email invite was very specific re January 2019... Thus my post...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:12 am

I assumed it would be good until January 2020, but the email invite was very specific re January 2019... Thus my post...
What can I say? There's only one way to find out - take a leap of faith, complete the challenge and see what happens.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by Srisarin
There's at least one major thread on this subject already with the same question asked and answered.
And you could post a link to that thread to actually help OP instead of yet another one of your snide and useless comments. For OP: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...d-threads.html
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
of course I could if you'll tell me how to when I'm posting with my phone

but thanks to you and NYC for your mutual personal attacks which are in direct contradiction to FT rules

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
And you could post a link to that thread to actually help OP

ml
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Srisarin
of course I could if you'll tell me how to when I'm posting with my phone

but thanks to you and NYC for your mutual personal attacks which are in direct contradiction to FT rules
Sometimes its what you don't say rather than what you say. Really, its ok to be silent if you can't add any further value to the question, I do it all the time!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Once the requirements have been met, the Marriott Elite level is valid for remainder of current calendar year, plus one additional year.

Levels achieved in the month of January are valid only for the remainder of the year.

Stays at Starwood properties will not count towards your Marriott Elite Night total or this promotion.
So, make sure you do not complete that final 9th night until February 2018
tkelsay likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:59 am

So, make sure you do not complete that final 9th night until February 2018Yes. Easy as that. Good luck w/ completing the challenge.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by funkbandit
So, make sure you do not complete that final 9th night until February 2018Yes. Easy as that. Good luck w/ completing the challenge.
Once the requirements have been met, the Marriott Elite level is valid for remainder of current calendar year, plus one additional year.

Levels achieved in the month of January are valid only for the remainder of the year.

Stays at Starwood properties will not count towards your Marriott Elite Night total or this promotion.
So, make sure you do not complete that final 9th night until February 2018
Hmm.. I was told the opposite in this thread:
How long will my status last?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Hmm.. I was told the opposite in this thread:
How long will my status last?
So, was your question in the other thread hypothetical or did/will you achieve 75 nights this month?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by controller1

So, was your question in the other thread hypothetical or did/will you achieve 75 nights this month?
It was not hypothetical. I will be, but it sucks if it will not be valid until 2020, then I'd just wait with one of the meetings until next month.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:44 am

In a previous post in this thread (#3) I have confirmed what you have been told in the other thread.Since OP was confused by a line in a email he/she has received which seems to contradict Marriott's typical policy.I would say it doesn't make a difference if the 9th night of the challenge was completed in January or February. Hence, completing the challenge in February wouldn't hurt.In addition, OP was unsure whether to complete a 18 stay SPG challenge or a 9 stay MR challenge (both for plat)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I was confused by a line in the email I originally received that stated that once I completed 9 stays, Platinum would be valid until January 2019.

I clarified and this is what I was told.

As it is only mid January, it is possible to complete 9 stays in January, in which case, platinum would only be valid until January 2019.

However, if I complete challenge in February or March, status is valid for the remainder of this year and the next year, ie January 2020.

Plus the major difference between the 18 night SPG and 9 stay Marriott, is "night" versus "stay". ie you could book a room for 18 days at SPG and do it, whereas Marriott is 9 stays which require personal check-in, maximum of one room per night, can't check in and out for two nights at same property, and only at Marriott branded properties not SPG. I'm going for Marriott but may have to switch a few Hilton bookings...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.