Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade using cash on reward night......am I being ripped off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade using cash on reward night......am I being ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
How does the hotel know that the 45k points per night I'm using wasn't earned at an expensive property.....

Are they allowed to do this then?
did you inquire as to the additional points needed for the suite you desire?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
In the Domes thread someone reported that the elite recognition is not recognized so this does not surprize me. But as others have stated, the time to play let's make a deal is closer to arrival.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
did you inquire as to the additional points needed for the suite you desire?
Just a clarification. Marriott is a bit different than Starwood with respect to suite awards. With Starwood, you can call the Plat line to see what upgrade awards are available (that you don't see using the online tool.) With Marriott if a hotel is offering a suite room for awards, it will show up in the online search. If it doesn't, then that means it isn't available for points (for at least the time you are looking at).

But this doesn't mean someone couldn't call up the Plat line or the hotel directly and try to negotiate them into opening a suite room up for awards. Note any opening of extra inventory will require someone at the hotel to open it up. The Marriott Plat line can't do that, though they can call the hotel on your behalf to ask.) I've been able to do that a few times in the past (though I'm much more often told, no, than the hotel opening something extra up.)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Just a clarification. Marriott is a bit different than Starwood with respect to suite awards. With Starwood, you can call the Plat line to see what upgrade awards are available (that you don't see using the online tool.) With Marriott if a hotel is offering a suite room for awards, it will show up in the online search. If it doesn't, then that means it isn't available for points (for at least the time you are looking at).

But this doesn't mean someone couldn't call up the Plat line or the hotel directly and try to negotiate them into opening a suite room up for awards. Note any opening of extra inventory will require someone at the hotel to open it up. The Marriott Plat line can't do that, though they can call the hotel on your behalf to ask.) I've been able to do that a few times in the past (though I'm much more often told, no, than the hotel opening something extra up.)
Yup definitely know it's different w/MR...is there always a cash component in addition to the added points needed? Or is that mainly R-C.

That being said, I think we all see what the OP is trying to do, but since that isn't going to work, curious what add'l steps he has taken to identify better rooms.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Yup definitely know it's different w/MR...is there always a cash component in addition to the added points needed? Or is that mainly R-C.
In most instances if a hotel is offering "upgraded" rooms for awards, they will offer both an award "cert" option and a $$$ option. How expensive the upgrade is depends on the upgrade. A full Ocean Front Suite might run 3, 4, 5 or even more 5k upgrade certs per night or $150/$200/$250 extra per night. I have seen some upgraded award rooms available only through upgrade certs or only through cash, but in most instances if one is offered the other is as well.

Also note that Marriott doesn't have anything in place to allow a hotel to offer award certs (points) upgrades on cash/paid reservations only on award reservations.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
is there always a cash component in addition to the added points needed? Or is that mainly R-C.
Nope. I paid 85K at Essex House for a Manhattan Suite recently when regular rooms were going for 45K. Thought it was a great deal, with the suites going for over $1200.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I think part of the issue is that, if the OP books regular room and pays 30 EUR to upgrade into a better room, that opens ANOTHER regular room for points redemption. So if a hotel has 10 regular rooms, if they let the OP upgrade, then they will end up with 11 points redemptions. And, as we all know, they "lose" hundreds of dollars on points redemptions on non-busy nights. It would almost benefit the OP if the hotel were to know that August is nearly sold out. Then their behavior would be unjustifiable.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
I think part of the issue is that, if the OP books regular room and pays 30 EUR to upgrade into a better room, that opens ANOTHER regular room for points redemption. So if a hotel has 10 regular rooms, if they let the OP upgrade, then they will end up with 11 points redemptions. And, as we all know, they "lose" hundreds of dollars on points redemptions on non-busy nights. It would almost benefit the OP if the hotel were to know that August is nearly sold out. Then their behavior would be unjustifiable.
These are the Greek Islands, in the busiest vacation time of the year...what nice properties WON'T be sold out?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by stvr
This may not be entirely correct as the hotel may choose to reduce the number of rooms available for reward bookings after this assumed one time upgrade.
I have dealt with this hotel in the past (on a very similar matter). They are not very easy to deal with in the first place and have stood firm in my case. August is the busiest month for the hotel and there is a good chance they can sell the room through their many channels. Tough luck for point redeemers, but understandable from the hotel's point of view.

In the hotel specific thread, upgrade success seems to be hit and miss.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. I paid 85K at Essex House for a Manhattan Suite recently when regular rooms were going for 45K. Thought it was a great deal, with the suites going for over $1200.
IME, like almost everything else Marriott, its a property by property thing whether they offer just one standard redemption room or use the tools they have to offer different rooms and "upgrades" at differing point costs.

Some RI's and Vacation Clubs do this very well, differing point costs per bedroom. With RI's I usually just book the lowest and talk them into a PP upgrade, usually works.

Regarding the Essex House, was this bookable online or did you arrange otherwise?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Does OP have any status?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joshua362
Regarding the Essex House, was this bookable online or did you arrange otherwise?
It was bookable online. I was very pleasantly surprised to see it offered, as it was one of those high price weekends in NYC (paid $800+ at the Edition the two nights previous). One of the reasons I really like Essex House. Check-in agent then spent quite a bit of time finding us a really nice suite.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4

Is this right?
No they are ripping you off. Don't play their game. This is one aspect that I don't like about some properties that treat you like dirt when you stay on an award. IE they are more likely to upgrade if you are booked on cash than award. I would be tempted to just book part of the stay as revenue and part as award.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So - I searched a couple random days in September and only the 45K point (or 40K point saver version) room is available for rewards. Thus, they may never offer a higher level suite on points, which is their right.

OP is mixing apples and oranges by doing a point reward and then asking for a cash "buy-up" for the differential between the two rooms, based on how the hotel is pricing it.

Frankly getting over 1 CPM is already a pretty good redemption rate...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Frankly getting over 1 CPM is already a pretty good redemption rate...
If OP pays 270 euro for upgrade he/she is effectively getting about .5 c per point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.