Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Lounge is on the fifth floor.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi there -

Infrequent (to say the least) poster on Marriott FT. Likely to stay at the JW HK. Two questions:

Is it worth it (on points) over the Renaissance?

Is it worth paying the cash upgrade 800HKD/~100USD per day for exec upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 2018, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
The JW location is quite a bit better if you plan on using public transit.

It would be very tough to $100 worth of food and drink out of the lounge. The room is identical except for a higher floor.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The JW location is quite a bit better if you plan on using public transit.

It would be very tough to $100 worth of food and drink out of the lounge. The room is identical except for a higher floor.
For reference - I have no problem using it for all my meals for the day. Thanks though! Only in HK for 3 days so good to know.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I far prefer JW over Renaissance for overall service - for me JW always seems to be more of a luxurious service experience. I have also always been upgraded at JW and the lounge sufficient for all meals if that is you preference. The location is better too for most business meetings and has much easier access to public transpirt .

Renaiisance is not a bad choice but prefer JW and even Sheraton (I like TST location a lot) .
Old May 21, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Staying here tonight and went to the lounge for dinner. At 5:45 the lounge was full to capacity and food running out. Many tables with kids. Slow to get food replenished and quickly gone.

Got a very nice big harbor view suite, but strange that the bathroom is so far away from the bedroom. Right off the front door. Room is circa 1990 but very nice and in good shape.

Otherwise very nice and sure it will shine once all the Renovations are complete.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Staying here tonight and went to the lounge for dinner. At 5:45 the lounge was full to capacity and food running out. Many tables with kids. Slow to get food replenished and quickly gone.

Got a very nice big harbor view suite, but strange that the bathroom is so far away from the bedroom. Right off the front door. Room is circa 1990 but very nice and in good shape.

Otherwise very nice and sure it will shine once all the Renovations are complete.
Did you check upstairs also? Often I found that downstairs could be completely full while upstairs was practically empty.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
YMMV

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I far prefer JW over Renaissance for overall service - for me JW always seems to be more of a luxurious service experience. I have also always been upgraded at JW and the lounge sufficient for all meals if that is you preference. The location is better too for most business meetings and has much easier access to public transpirt .

Renaiisance is not a bad choice but prefer JW and even Sheraton (I like TST location a lot) .
Of course, as with many hotels, your mileage may vary. I have only stayed at the JW twice. I am 1 for 2 being upgraded.
I have stayed at the Ren close to 30 times. The last 7 or 8 times I have been upgraded to the studio suite, which is a great room. I actually prefer it to their 1 bedroom. If feels more spacious.

However, otherwise I do agree with you. The JW is a more luxurious experience. The lounge is nicer, with a more deluxe breakfast. And the location is better, with direct access to the Pacific Place mall and the MTR. I tend to stay at the Ren because it is attached to the convention centre. Otherwise I would prefer the JW.

After not staying there for more than 20 years, I have gone back to the Sheraton for 2 stays in the last 6 months. It is an older hotel but I like it very much. The Elite lounge is awful but they do offer elite members breakfast in the cafe, which is very good. As you say the location is really good. And the facilities overall are more than adequate.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Did you check upstairs also? Often I found that downstairs could be completely full while upstairs was practically empty.
I didn't, maybe I should have.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I didn't, maybe I should have.
You're probably not the only one who missed the upstairs section. That explains why I found the upper level such a haven of peace and contentment on my recent stay
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:58 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Just finished a recent stay. The new lounge is massive. Here is the welcome letter for plats.
Attached Images
willryu likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cbellero
The new lounge is massive.
The new lounge is massive. I prefer the old lounge: better/more food selection, food/drinks concentrated in one area, better views and likely chance to be referred to the JW Café when lounge is full.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
The new lounge is massive. I prefer the old lounge: better/more food selection, food/drinks concentrated in one area, better views and likely chance to be referred to the JW Café when lounge is full.
I felt that the new lounge was basically the same food, just a different location. The only difference I noticed was that there wasn't an egg station anymore.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I felt that the new lounge was basically the same food, just a different location. The only difference I noticed was that there wasn't an egg station anymore.
Yea, the egg station is gone. I may be wrong, but I thought there was a pancake/waffle station as well. And wasn't a soup or two previously offered? Didn't see that at the new lounge (except for congee).

FWIW, food selection/quality was better at the Courtyard Ginza than here.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Yea, the egg station is gone. I may be wrong, but I thought there was a pancake/waffle station as well. And wasn't a soup or two previously offered? Didn't see that at the new lounge (except for congee).

FWIW, food selection/quality was better at the Courtyard Ginza than here.
I don't recall ever seeing a soup at breakfast or dinner.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:53 am

No egg station = downgrade for me. I thought that the food was one of the strong points of the JW lounge (due to certain dietary restrictions it was much better for me than the Conrad).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.