Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPG flooding Marriott with platinums

SPG flooding Marriott with platinums

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
the SPG forum - my source

and your sources ?

So this?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/07/05/...-july-14-2017/

Yes I'm sure that has massively inflated the elite ranks, a targeted offer to a specific segment of consumer in one region of the world.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jan 10, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The status challenge doesn't work if you presently have either SPG preferred or gold statuses.
What do you mean? I got Starwood gold via AMEX Platinum linked that status to Marriott as well, immediately signed up for Marriott Platinum challenge with nine stays, and am now platinum in both programs.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So marriott plat for $800 after a few meets doesnt bother you? Its been prominently featuted on this forum for years...

And i guarantee that almost all spg elites would much rather see spg as a standlalone program

but it is what it is and we all have to adjust..
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
What do you mean? I got Starwood gold via AMEX Platinum linked that status to Marriott as well, immediately signed up for Marriott Platinum challenge with nine stays, and am now platinum in both programs.
The latest SPG challenge, which gives you SPG platinum status after 18 nights, specifically excludes a SPG gold from eligibility. I can't speak for Marriott's match or challenge offer.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
SPG is Marriott. So what OP is saying is . . . Marriott is flooding Marriott with Platinums.
No. Starwood is Marriott, but SPG remains distinct from Marriott Rewards.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
because there are only a few dozen Chinese travelers !

(I liked your deleted post more)

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So this?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/07/05/...-july-14-2017/

Yes I'm sure that has massively inflated the elite ranks, a targeted offer to a specific segment of consumer in one region of the world.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The latest SPG challenge, which gives you SPG platinum status after 18 nights, specifically excludes a SPG gold from eligibility. I can't speak for Marriott's match or challenge offer.
What are you talking about? The status challenge specifically includes SPG Golds, but excludes people who have held Plat status since 2013.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What are you talking about? The status challenge specifically includes SPG Golds, but excludes people who have held Plat status since 2013.
My apologizes. I misread this.

"Specifically, SPG members who earned Gold or Platinum status in or after 2013 are not eligible for the Gold Status Challenge, and SPG members who earned Platinum in or after 2013 are not eligible for the Platinum Status Challenge."

https://www.spgpromos.com/statuschallenge/terms
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:42 am

The status challenge doesn't work if you presently have either SPG preferred or gold statuses.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. I meant you have SPG Gold status through a CC, then match this to MR Gold. Then proceed and do the MR plat challenge which is only 9 stays. Become MR and SPG plat.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:54 am
formerly PHLGrump

On the airline front, I've heard gate agents with American complain about the inundation of US Airways elites to American. I'm only 27 and the agent says "So many Executive Platinums. And they keep getting younger and younger." She wasn't hitting on me. She was saying it with attitude!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP cites a mechanism where, within other T&C contraints, one can get SPG Plat status with just 18 nights. What's the evidence - flooding is his language - that many people are doing this, in the context of total SPG Plats, total Marriott Plats, or Marriott's 1.1 million rooms?

Eligibility: Status Challenges are not available to members who have earned SPG elite-level status within the five years prior to the current year. Specifically, SPG members who earned Gold or Platinum status in or after 2013 are not eligible for the Gold Status Challenge, and SPG members who earned Platinum in or after 2013 are not eligible for the Platinum Status Challenge. Members who have successfully completed any prior SPG status challenges may not register for this Status Challenge. Members may register and attempt to participate in the Status Challenge again if they fail to complete the Status Challenge. If a member completes the Gold Status Challenge and is successful, he or she is able to come back to register for the Platinum Status Challenge. Members may not, however, repeat a Status Challenge that they have already successfully completed. SPG members who reach SPG Gold or Platinum status by linking their SPG and Marriott Rewards® accounts will not be eligible for the Status Challenge offer.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
I think its actually Marriott flooding itself with plats. The SPG challenge is 18 nights in 90 days. Hardly that many people can do this! I have tried both programs and like the SPG program much more. Better earning rates, better upgrades to suite level.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PHLGrump
On the airline front, I've heard gate agents with American complain about the inundation of US Airways elites to American. I'm only 27 and the agent says "So many Executive Platinums. And they keep getting younger and younger." She wasn't hitting on me. She was saying it with attitude!
I flew out of LGA to IAH regularly (IAH being a UA hub) and the upgrade list would usually exceed 60 people. Did a ORD -> EWR (hub-to-hub) flight and there were more than 100.

I flew American a couple times to/from DFW and the number of exec plats was just staggering. My E500 upgrades were worthless.

Ah, I miss the days on pmUS when they were still on SHARES and it was super easy to game the upgrade system with the check-in trick... I went from getting upgraded domestically maybe 5-10% of the time to 80%+ as a US DM Gold elite...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
because there are only a few dozen Chinese travelers
...for a promo that hasn't run in a year, and has no impact on Platinum, which is the point of this thread.

Excellent continued obfuscation though...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP cites a mechanism where, within other T&C contraints, one can get SPG Plat status with just 18 nights. What's the evidence - flooding is his language - that many people are doing this, in the context of total SPG Plats, total Marriott Plats, or Marriott's 1.1 million rooms?

Eligibility: Status Challenges are not available to members who have earned SPG elite-level status within the five years prior to the current year. Specifically, SPG members who earned Gold or Platinum status in or after 2013 are not eligible for the Gold Status Challenge, and SPG members who earned Platinum in or after 2013 are not eligible for the Platinum Status Challenge. Members who have successfully completed any prior SPG status challenges may not register for this Status Challenge. Members may register and attempt to participate in the Status Challenge again if they fail to complete the Status Challenge. If a member completes the Gold Status Challenge and is successful, he or she is able to come back to register for the Platinum Status Challenge. Members may not, however, repeat a Status Challenge that they have already successfully completed. SPG members who reach SPG Gold or Platinum status by linking their SPG and Marriott Rewards® accounts will not be eligible for the Status Challenge offer.
Everyone knows Marriott has been flooded with elites through a variety of channels, including SPG but also United. As others have said, lounges are overcrowded these days.

I stayed at the Renaissance in downtown Toledo on a random Saturday night and there three pages of elites, including five platinums, on the clipboard in the lounge. At the J.W. Marriott Essex House, a manager told me that on average there are 80 guests with gold or platinum status every night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.