Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rate Display on Searches = Frustrating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...

So, I have not really been a Marriott regular over the years but am involved in a Plat challenge and am getting to know it. I might be missing something or doing something wrong but I really do not like the way the rates display on the searches on the app. For example, when I do a search on the web it says rates "from" but even that seems to be inconsistent as there are actually some nights on a recent search that are lower than the from rate displayed. I would say that even if that worked it is pretty useless in comparing rates in cities with a lot of properties. I literally have to select each property and then compare the total for stay on each one to get a realistic comparison.

Is this really the way it works or am I missing an "easy button"?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Nope, you're not missing an easy button. It would be better if Marriott showed a blended (average) rate per night for multi-night stays when searching.

--Jon

P.S. I'd love to be wrong and find out there actually is an "easy button" I have been missing all of these years.
]

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Jan 9, 2018 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Ok, so if I am crazy then at least one other person is in the same boat! I could see how someone at Marriott is hard set that there is a psychological factor in seeing a lower rate displayed but I am pretty sure we are all smarter than that.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Marriott will only show the rate for the first night, regardless of whether the remaining nights are higher or lower. That makes it pretty useless for multi-night stays.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Last night I was trying to compare options for a family stay in Madrid this summer, and I had to spend quite a bit of time clicking through every property all the way to the very end to see my actual cost, to compare to a points stay.

For a 3 night stay, every night was different at just about every property. The "price" listed on the search page was the first night only for an advance/prepay/nonrefundable stay only, and without the substantial taxes. I.e., relatively useless.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I wish you could see multiple rates at once, not just the standard rate, AAA rate, government rate, points rate, etc.
BlaiseBOS likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I wish you could see multiple rates at once, not just the standard rate, AAA rate, government rate, points rate, etc.
The 4-column SPG grid is great...I hope they keep that interface going forward, but I doubt it.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I dunno if we want the SPG way of doing things, though- at least with Marriott, the rate will fluctuate throughout the stay, sometimes lower, sometimes higher- but I don't see that with SPG unless I make multiple, consecutive reservations for the same property; it seems as if the rate is fixed on the first day of the stay and remains for the remaining days.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In my experience, SPG averages the rates and presents it as such.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I dunno if we want the SPG way of doing things
If I have a 3 night stay at $100, $120, and $170, I'd much rather see SPG's $130/night than MR's $100/night, as it's going to cost me $390 for the 3 nights.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:39 pm

While not ideal, you can set your dates to flexible and then Marriott will display the average rate for each date of check in for your length of stay.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The 4-column SPG grid is great...I hope they keep that interface going forward, but I doubt it.
The grid is nice. I would also take the Hilton way too.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by CPRich
If I have a 3 night stay at $100, $120, and $170, I'd much rather see SPG's $130/night than MR's $100/night, as it's going to cost me $390 for the 3 nights.
You don't see "The rate for this room changes to <new rate> on <date>" when looking? I do- plus if you select the property it gives you the breakdown for each date of the searched stay.

What I like about MR's solution is that if I'm searching with price in mind (so, about 99% of the time) I can vary my stay dates (or stay locations) to minimize prices. I have to make multiple-day bookings to see if that's the case with SPG.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
You don't see "The rate for this room changes to <new rate> on <date>" when looking? .
Yes, but you have to do that for each property. In places where there are 10-15 properties, this is incredibly tedious. Plus, if the rate changes twice, you still only get one change message as I recall.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'd love to see a mixed version of Marriott & SPG. When you search for a hotel, it should show the average nightly rate like SPG does. But then when I drill in, I want to see the night by night rate like Marriott does. That way, if there's one night that's really cheap or expensive, I can plan around that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.