Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kona, Hawaii: Courtyard or Sheraton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

I'm looking at a 6 night stay in Kona (Hawaii) on points and I've narrowed it down to the Courtyard King Kamehameha or the Sheraton Kona resort. They're the same number of points (CY is 150000 MR points & the Sheraton is 50000 SPG points, which are, of course, equivalent.) I'm plat with both Marriott & SPG. The parking price is about the same price between the two hotels. The Sheraton has a $31 a day resort fee that the CY doesn't have, but the Sheraton has a lounge and breakfast that I'd have access to as well as some things in that resort fee I'd use (primarily the unlimited bicycle usage but some other things as well.)

As for my goals on the stay, I'll be by myself and it'll be my first time ever in Hawaii, so I'll be splitting time between just relaxing and seeing things on the Big Island. I've got a separate stay later at Volcano National Park, so that's not part of these 6 nights.

So where would you stay? Has anyone stayed at both properties to compare? Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have stayed at the Sheraton. Take a look at the long property master thread in the SPG forum. In brief, I would call it a modest (though fairly high room count) family resort - not a luxury resort, if that's what you're expecting. No beach.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...er-thread.html
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've stayed at both. The Sheraton.seems to be in the middle of nowhere (to me, at least), especially compared to the Courtyard location. Maybe that's changed since I stayed there several years ago, but I won't go back. I like being close to restaurants and shops, and there are lots within walking distance of the Courtyard. I also enjoy the walk along the ocean to get to them. Plus the Courtyard is right on the beach.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Depends on what type of atmosphere you like. The Sheraton is 5-6 miles south of Kona town and a quieter area. If you golf or want a snorkel trip it's close to both (Keauhou shopping center, a harbor & Kona CC). The CY is in the center of Kona town with lots of traffic, shops, restaurants & people. My wife like the Kona area but I prefer the Keauhou area. Flip a coin.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
IMHO if you can swing the extra points you should head up to the Marriott Waikoloa before either the Sheraton or CY. I've been to all of them and the Marriott will give you a much better experience all around. It's well worth the 25 minute drive from Kona.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IMHO if you can swing the extra points you should head up to the Marriott Waikoloa before either the Sheraton or CY. I've been to all of them and the Marriott will give you a much better experience all around. It's well worth the 25 minute drive from Kona.
Or if you have even more points the Mauna Kea offers the best Marriott experience in the entire state.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Or if you have even more points the Mauna Kea offers the best Marriott experience in the entire state.
I strongly disagree. The Mauna Kea Beach Resort was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at on any Hawaiian island, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I strongly disagree. The Mauna Kea Beach Resort was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at on any Hawaiian island, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Wow, I'm surprised. Seems most people like it and it's certainly my favorite even over the Kapalua Ritz or other Maui Marriotts. What happened there that turned you off so much?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've stayed at the CY 5-10 times. It's a basic property that's seen a facelift. I've not been a fan of the parking program they've added. And it's a CY. However the location is great in KOA.... walking distance [stumbling] to Kona Brewing Company, and to several stores like Longs, Sack N Save and KTA.

I was upgraded to a Suite when I stayed at the Sheraton my one time. Was two rooms combined together with a longing area in the one room with a couch , TV and bathroom. Other room had a King Bed. Property was fine, but not near anything.

I think I prefer the CY.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I've not been a fan of the parking program they've added.
Please explain.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Seems like the Hapuna Beach Resort would also be a good choice for a few more points (10,000 SPG).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I was going to book a corporate event there in Kona this February, but the Autograph Collection property didn't have availability and the Hapuna (soon-to-be Westin) wasn't done with renovations. I looked at the Courtyard as they seem to be one of those unusual Courtyard properties in that they have a real restaurant and full bar, but the reviews on Trip Advisor indicate the property is very tired. The rates were pretty decent, though.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Wow, I'm surprised. Seems most people like it and it's certainly my favorite even over the Kapalua Ritz or other Maui Marriotts. What happened there that turned you off so much?
Compounding customer service failures that began pre-arrival and continued throughout our stay. A pervasive attitude of smug superiority among the staff and clear derision for Marriott and all it represents. I detailed it all in the property thread, if you really care. But what elevated it from a single poor stay to a never-stay-again was the lack of follow-through post-stay from management on several of the issues we encountered. It just smacked of a failing property living as long as it can on a decades-old (and decades-past) reputation.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by joeags
Please explain.
They fenced in the parking, automated the gate, and jacked up the rates.

They made it more restrictive for the walk to Kona Brewing Company, and have prioritized things like valet parking.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Avoid like the plague (for now)...

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Seems like the Hapuna Beach Resort would also be a good choice for a few more points (10,000 SPG).
...so after reading this post yesterday I went on the SPG site because I did not know about this property joining the SPG fold.
Dates look good...48000 pts. for 5 night....I've been to Hapuna Beach twice before so its all looking good.
Then I go on TA and the first 5 reviews are all 1 star.
Turns out the property is under a total renovation and resembles a war zone (pics confirmed).
Last review was only 3 days ago, and the disgust of these patrons that they were led to believe the construction was minor was overwhelming.
So while I can confirm the beach is nice, the location is good, my suggestion is to wait until the construction is completed before booking this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.