Marriott's/Rtiz's in Japan

Old Jan 5, 18, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Marriott's/Rtiz's in Japan

Hi All,

Heading to Japan for a few weeks this November, and have a boatload of Marriott points to use. A few questions:

1) Thoughts on the Ritz in Tokyo, Kyoto, or Osaka. Worth the points?
2) Thoughts on the Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station on Tokyo. Good for Gold Members? Price is right and location seems to be great.
3) If anyone has stayed at either the Osaka or Tokyo new Moxy hotels? Price on those is very good (as we would only be using the hotel for sleeping/showering on the dates we would be booked there, "extras" aren't as much of a concern for us.

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:58 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, AccorHotels Silver, oneworld Sapphire
Haven't stayed at either, but from reviews, Marriott Osaka Abeno looks promising, while Moxys are disappointing.

I'd appreciate real-life feedback though, too.
Old Jan 5, 18, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barracuda93 View Post
Haven't stayed at either, but from reviews, Marriott Osaka Abeno looks promising, while Moxys are disappointing.

I'd appreciate real-life feedback though, too.
Right - I read some of the Moxy reviews, but a lot of the complaints seemed pretty marginal and mostly had to do with size of room and lack of extra amenities. Which, if I can sleep in a new, comfortable room/hotel for $100 dollars a night with a free breakfast (as it looks like they might be doing for Gold/Plat members now), I'm all for it. Thanks for the tip on the other Osaka Marriott!
Old Jan 6, 18, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jmj10 View Post
Hi All,

Heading to Japan for a few weeks this November, and have a boatload of Marriott points to use. A few questions:

1) Thoughts on the Ritz in Tokyo, Kyoto, or Osaka. Worth the points?
2) Thoughts on the Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station on Tokyo. Good for Gold Members? Price is right and location seems to be great.
3) If anyone has stayed at either the Osaka or Tokyo new Moxy hotels? Price on those is very good (as we would only be using the hotel for sleeping/showering on the dates we would be booked there, "extras" aren't as much of a concern for us.

Thanks!
I enjoyed the RC Osaka -- old fashioned (e.g., ornate) Ritz, but excellent service. Breakfast was great.
Old Jan 7, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Gold, CX Green, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aa4ever View Post
I enjoyed the RC Osaka -- old fashioned (e.g., ornate) Ritz, but excellent service. Breakfast was great.
Did you book the room with breakfast or complimentary for Golds/Plats?

I stayed there for twice on May 2017, and was given 'one time offer' only on both occassions after telling them what other SPG/Marriott properties offered me in Japan.
Old Jan 7, 18, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Gold, CX Green, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmj10 View Post
Right - I read some of the Moxy reviews, but a lot of the complaints seemed pretty marginal and mostly had to do with size of room and lack of extra amenities. Which, if I can sleep in a new, comfortable room/hotel for $100 dollars a night with a free breakfast (as it looks like they might be doing for Gold/Plat members now), I'm all for it. Thanks for the tip on the other Osaka Marriott!
I stayed at Moxy Osaka once on Dec 2017 and there was only bread/toast and noodle option available for the breakfast at Moxy Osaka. At this price, I would rather stay at Sheraton Osaka at least there is scrambled egg for breakfast and airport shuttle service.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by aa4ever View Post
Is there such a thing as a hotel in Japan with bad service?
Seabilly and txpenny like this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 8:03 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, AccorHotels Silver, oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Absolutely. I have seldom actually found service in Japan to be great. Perhaps CP Kyoto comes to mind.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by barracuda93 View Post
Absolutely. I have seldom actually found service in Japan to be great. Perhaps CP Kyoto comes to mind.
Well, maybe coming from Taiwan (if your location on here is correct) makes you bias because maybe service in the Republic of China is better, but for an American, I find Japan to be amazing. The manners and service are great.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:52 pm

Well, maybe coming from Taiwan (if your location on here is correct) makes you bias because maybe service in the Republic of China is better, but for an American, I find Japan to be amazing. The manners and service are great.
I haven't stayed much in hotels here in Taiwan since I rent a place, so my comparison is mostly against SEA (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia) and China (incl. Hong Kong).
Old Jan 9, 18, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by ny911 View Post
Did you book the room with breakfast or complimentary for Golds/Plats?

I stayed there for twice on May 2017, and was given 'one time offer' only on both occassions after telling them what other SPG/Marriott properties offered me in Japan.
It was probably an FHR rate, but in 2016 so honestly can't remember for sure. In any case, I was very happy with it!
Old Jan 9, 18, 8:27 am

Fair point. I'd say at the top level, almost all have excellent service though I've had better and worse. I've often found some Tokyo hotels to have better service than some of the Bangkok hotels, but I know I'm in the minority with that view.
Old Jan 10, 18, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
1) I didn't stay at any of the RC in Japan, but if you're considering RC Osaka, the reviews on FT favor the RC Kyoto and it's worth the points. If you're looking at luxury properties in Kansai, the Marriott Miyako in Osaka should also be considered. My choice was the Miyako, due to the rate. It also has better FT reviews than the RC Osaka. It is surely the best Marriott branded property I have ever visited and arguably better than some US RCs. The lounge is truly exceptional. Things to consider in choosing the right property for you should include access to transit if you're going to be touring around Kansai. If so, Osaka might be better. If you are looking for pure luxury, then the RC Kyoto appears to be the better option. If you're going to focus on Kyoto, which you're either doing this trip or will learn from this trip to be a necessary follow-on trip, then RC Kyoto is the place. I've nothing on the RC Tokyo.
2) I've stayed at the Tokyo Station Courtyard. It is indeed a very nice property and well worth the points. The rooms are not luxurious, but then you aren't staying at a Courtyard expecting luxury. There's no lounge, but they provide amenities that make up for it. They give vouchers to GLD and PLT for breakfast and happy hour. In addition they have complimentary beer in a lobby fridge. Rooms are quiet and the neighborhood is conveniently located. It's a ten minute walk to Ginza or Tokyo Station. Other subway stations are even closer.
3) No experience with these properties.
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Will there be a cat 5 Marriott property in Japan again? Have 2 nights to burn and it's been years since the last cat 5 (a Renaissance in Sapporo) was available...
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
VERY doubtful as even the “low” class MOXYs are Cat 6/7

Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Will there be a cat 5 Marriott property in Japan again? ..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: