Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's/Rtiz's in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Will there be a cat 5 Marriott property in Japan again? Have 2 nights to burn and it's been years since the last cat 5 (a Renaissance in Sapporo) was available...
A big factor in determining the rewards category is the location. Another one is brand, but to a lesser extent.
I'd say unless Marriott opens/acquires a property of a lesser brand in a city it already has hotels in or extends its reach into a smaller city in the near future - probably not.

(Moxy Tokyo is currently a Cat. 7 and Moxy Osaka a Cat. 6 property)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by msp3
Will there be a cat 5 Marriott property in Japan again? Have 2 nights to burn and it's been years since the last cat 5 (a Renaissance in Sapporo) was available...
I would just settle for more Marriott properties, in general. I've always thought Marriott was very under-represented in countries like Japan and France, to say nothing of the Nordic countries.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Marriott already has 30 some props in France, not including those currently using SPG brands....

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would just settle for more Marriott properties, in general. I've always thought Marriott was very under-represented in countries like ......... France.......
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:46 am

RC Tokyo was well worth the points as I got a fifth night free. It's a property that will run you easily US$1k a night and at an average of 56k points / night (if you do the 5th night free) you're getting an amazing redemption value. The RC is in a nice trendy part of town (Roppongi) with easy access to bars, restaurants and clubs -- the building it's in is also conveniently connected via an upscale shopping mall (Tokyo Midtown) to the subway. I got upgraded to a larger room (still not a suite though) with an amazing view of Tokyo; the lobby itself has a great bar with cigars and live music, and the swimming pool has an amazing view of Tokyo as well (with a nice hot tub). One note is that RC does not respect Marriott G/P status for lounge access (you'll have to purchase it separately) but why bother with lounges when you're in the best city for food and drinks?

I haven't stayed at the CY Tokyo Station but stayed at the nearby CY Ginza on my last night in Tokyo (didn't make sense to spend 1 night @ 70k in the RC when CY was only 35k). It does not have a lounge but is in a very convenient location within walking distance of some of the best bars in the world in Ginza, and they'll give you some drink coupons to use in the lobby bar if you're inclined.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
1) I didn't stay at any of the RC in Japan, but if you're considering RC Osaka, the reviews on FT favor the RC Kyoto and it's worth the points. If you're looking at luxury properties in Kansai, the Marriott Miyako in Osaka should also be considered. My choice was the Miyako, due to the rate. It also has better FT reviews than the RC Osaka. It is surely the best Marriott branded property I have ever visited and arguably better than some US RCs. The lounge is truly exceptional. Things to consider in choosing the right property for you should include access to transit if you're going to be touring around Kansai. If so, Osaka might be better. If you are looking for pure luxury, then the RC Kyoto appears to be the better option. If you're going to focus on Kyoto, which you're either doing this trip or will learn from this trip to be a necessary follow-on trip, then RC Kyoto is the place. I've nothing on the RC Tokyo.
2) I've stayed at the Tokyo Station Courtyard. It is indeed a very nice property and well worth the points. The rooms are not luxurious, but then you aren't staying at a Courtyard expecting luxury. There's no lounge, but they provide amenities that make up for it. They give vouchers to GLD and PLT for breakfast and happy hour. In addition they have complimentary beer in a lobby fridge. Rooms are quiet and the neighborhood is conveniently located. It's a ten minute walk to Ginza or Tokyo Station. Other subway stations are even closer.
3) No experience with these properties.

Thanks for the answers! Would you say the Miyako is easy for sightseeing around Osaka? And how is the access to Osaka station? We're trying to decide between Osaka and Kyoto as a base for some day trips around the area.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I haven't stayed much in hotels here in Taiwan since I rent a place, so my comparison is mostly against SEA (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia) and China (incl. Hong Kong).
In my experience, spending a couple months in Thailand, Laos, and Hong Kong this year vs a few weeks in Japan (Tokyo & Kyoto); the service in Japan is just a step above the rest. Japan's service is in a class of its own, better than anywhere I've visited in the entire world.

That being said, I haven't been to Malaysia or Indonesia yet, so perhaps those two countries are comparable.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jmj10
Thanks for the answers! Would you say the Miyako is easy for sightseeing around Osaka? And how is the access to Osaka station? We're trying to decide between Osaka and Kyoto as a base for some day trips around the area.
My wife and I found the Miyako great, not only for Osaka sightseeing, but access to both Osaka and Kyoto stations. The hotel sits on top of a train station and wonderful dept. store. As said before, the lounge is more like a RC club lounge than your typical Marriott. If you have a JR pass, the JR Haruka line will become your best friend. It goes non-stop to Osaka station and then the next stop is Kyoto station.

We also stayed at the Courtyard Tokyo Station, and while the rooms are small, even with our upgrade, the close proximity of Tokyo station and Ginza, as well as the perks provided, made it a solid choice.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by michelin
My wife and I found the Miyako great, not only for Osaka sightseeing, but access to both Osaka and Kyoto stations. The hotel sits on top of a train station and wonderful dept. store. As said before, the lounge is more like a RC club lounge than your typical Marriott. If you have a JR pass, the JR Haruka line will become your best friend. It goes non-stop to Osaka station and then the next stop is Kyoto station.

We also stayed at the Courtyard Tokyo Station, and while the rooms are small, even with our upgrade, the close proximity of Tokyo station and Ginza, as well as the perks provided, made it a solid choice.
The Miyako is no more than one connection to most of where you’ll want to visit in Kansai. My JR Pass was well used. The other thing to note is it’s on the Osaka circular route (not sure on the route name), which has its conveniences. Note this is also on the Kansai Express route. IMO if touring Kansai, then choose the Miyako and if touring Kyoto then choose the RC Kyoto. This is based on experience and reading a lot of reviews.
Srisarin likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by tkelsay
In my experience, spending a couple months in Thailand, Laos, and Hong Kong this year vs a few weeks in Japan (Tokyo & Kyoto); the service in Japan is just a step above the rest. Japan's service is in a class of its own, better than anywhere I've visited in the entire world.
That being said, I haven't been to Malaysia or Indonesia yet, so perhaps those two countries are comparable.
Hong Kong isn't generally famous for good service, but I have been happy with most of my stays there, though I had minor issues at couple of HIE. Can't remember any issues in Thailand though (aside from few AccorHotels properties): all IHG hotels I stayed at where amazing service-wise, and LM on my last visit was even better. In Japan out of three stays in proper chain hotels I had problems at two (Sheraton and Crowne Plaza); 2/3 rate of service failure is something I have yet to encounter elsewhere. I might have been unlucky with Japan however, or possibly you stayed in top class properties there, which I can't afford or can't justify price-wise; at the same time it's hard to imagine that top properties in Bangkok could be below.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Has anyone stayed at the Moxy Tokyo? Do they really give golds breakfast? What’s it like?

I’ve got a stay there in March, and it would be really great if I got breakfast.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:51 am
Suspended

As reported as late as 5 Jan 18 but pls update in March especially if not provided

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Has anyone stayed at the Moxy Tokyo? Do they really give golds breakfast? What’s it like?

I’ve got a stay there in March, and it would be really great if I got breakfast.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tkelsay

Malaysia has terrible service and lax sanitary practices. Indonesia was much of the same. Japan is in a class of its own!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Aventine
Malaysia has terrible service
Where have you stayed to arrive to this conclusion? Leaving aside comparison to Japan, Marriott and SPG properties in Malaysia have consistently high ratings and good reviews (Ritz hard product is supposedly dated, but I haven't seen much complaints on service, rather the opposite). IC KL also is liked by many.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

Without any fact basis for this total generalization and condemnation of entire nations it is IMO completely without merit.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Malaysia has terrible service and lax sanitary practices. Indonesia was much of the same. Japan is in a class of its own!
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: JL JGP (OWE), NH SFC (*G), Mariott Titanium
Originally Posted by Srisarin
As reported as late as 5 Jan 18 but pls update in March especially if not provided
Stayed earlier this week and yes they started giving out breakfast to Gold/Plats now.
dinoscool3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.