Courtesy Status Renewal

Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
I believe we need to include Marriott cards as well. Twice I got comped to Plat (60+ nights) and once to Gold (30+ nights) and the only reason I think I got the status will be because of my Marriott Credit card...YMMV though
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Just got mine in the mail (physical mail) today. I was 7 nights short of renewing platinum (admittedly most of my 68 nights were 2016 -> 2017 rollover nights) and 12 nights short of lifetime Platinum.

Dear phltraveler,

There's nothing more exciting than traveling the world and experiencing all it offers. Now you can make your journeys even more exceptional. Although you stayed fewer nights than required, I am pleased to renew your Platinum Elite Status for 2018 as a thank you for your incredible loyalty.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Just got mine in the mail (physical mail) today. I was 7 nights short of renewing platinum (admittedly most of my 68 nights were 2016 -> 2017 rollover nights) and 12 nights short of lifetime Platinum.

Dear phltraveler,

There's nothing more exciting than traveling the world and experiencing all it offers. Now you can make your journeys even more exceptional. Although you stayed fewer nights than required, I am pleased to renew your Platinum Elite Status for 2018 as a thank you for your incredible loyalty.
Got this letter as well. I had around 45 nights. I have the card and may or may not have hit the 160 night three year total.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, MR Plat, HH Gold, Amtrak Select, Avis Preferred Plus
Got the letter ^. 38 nights.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Before I had the CC, I received an comp to remain a silver for 2012, which I failed to make in 2011 when my traveling dropped off. Probably stayed 5 nights in 2011. I squeaked by to remain in Silver in 2012, and then I have had the CC since 2013.

In 2016, I made Gold for 2017 largely on the strength of Rollover nights. I was not really that close to legitimately renewing Gold at 50 nights in 2017 (only 34 nights), but I was offered a 14 night renewal challenge across Nov/Dec 2017. The 14 nights only included paid nights. Ultimately, we stayed 10 nights during the challenge period, but only 6 were paid Marriott nights. So not expecting any comp renewal for 2018, but I may call and beg at some point, just for kicks.

Last edited by JohnneeO; Jan 12, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I only stayed 5 nights last year (moved my business to Hilton), and got a text the other day saying "congrats you're still a plat!". Found it odd, but I'll take it.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
I got a "congrats on platinum" letter with only 74 nights, but it was in late December.
I did have a planned stay at the end of the year that was going to get me to 77, so part of me wonders if they recognized that and then just renewed it.
Either way, it was nice not to feel stressed about it.
Now to map out 2018 strategy...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I received the letter yesterday telling me I had not reached the threshold to renew as platinum but they were giving it to me anyway. However, I had exactly 75 nights in 2017, including one I booked in late December to make sure I renewed as platinum. Seems as if they decided to give me a courtesy renewal before the December stay. Odd.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mek17
I received the letter yesterday telling me I had not reached the threshold to renew as platinum but they were giving it to me anyway. However, I had exactly 75 nights in 2017, including one I booked in late December to make sure I renewed as platinum. Seems as if they decided to give me a courtesy renewal before the December stay. Odd.
What was the date on the letter? Plus. these things don't turn around in moments. I'd guess they pulled the data together weeks ago in order to feed it through their mailing service.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
What was the date on the letter? Plus. these things don't turn around in moments. I'd guess they pulled the data together weeks ago in order to feed it through their mailing service.
It was an early January date. But I agreethey likely pulled the data and decided to give me the courtesy renewal before my final stay. Not a big deal, just seemed odd.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jddssc121
I only stayed 5 nights last year (moved my business to Hilton), and got a text the other day saying "congrats you're still a plat!". Found it odd, but I'll take it.
That sure seems generous. How many elite nights did you have in 2015 and 2016? I surmise you had enough then that the average even with only 5 last year was still substantial.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
I received a letter yesterday extending Platinum for 2018. I had 68 nights in 2017. The prior two years I had over 75 nights. I am very close to lifetime Platinum. I have the nights am just short a few points. I should have enough points by mid year between the stays I have booked and my credit card.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The moral of the story is, once you hit Platinum (or Gold), Marriott will bend over backwards to keep you at that level. Which is good for the most part. It has also so devalued Gold and Plat status that beyond concierge lounge access/free breakfast and for Plats the override, everything else is just marketing with not a lot of real-world impact.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jddssc121
wow ... that's insane. Congrats!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Called MR to see when my status expired. App was showing renewal at 75 nights now with reset nights, so genuinely was wondering if it had been extended or I just hadn't dropped down yet. Rep looked at my nights total and said because it was close (71 nights), she'd extend it until January of next year on spot. ^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.