Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Compensation for being locked in bathroom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I stayed in a marriott in DC (300usd+/night) for couple of nights. One night I was locked inside the bathroom for more than 4 hours until midnight due to the door lock malfunction. Eventually the guest next door heard my screaming, then contacted the frontdesk to break my door and let me out.

Does anyone know how/whom should I file a complaint to? Ant ideal about how would I be compensated?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:08 am

I'd call the hotel and ask for the GM.

Marriott being Marriott I'd say they'd offer some type of tangible amends (what and how much is unpredicatable) along with a sincere apology.

The quicker you get in contact following the incident, the better; they do keep a record of these things (security/engineering -- whoever responded), but still, the fresher it is in their minds the better. (Also, waiting too long could be taken that it wasn't all that important to you.)

If you don't get a response (which I'd say is highly unlikely) go to online Customer CAre at URL www.marriott.com/suggest/suggest.mi

Edited to add: It's possible you won't get the GM right away (not available, off site etc.) but you will be put in touch with someone (the GM's AA, a senior manager, etc.
but whoever it may be keep a record of their name along with date, time and a short summary of what was said should you have to reference it later on.
Do let us know how it turns out.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Welcome to FT, and I am sorry to hear about your incident at the hotel.

You should contact the GM of the hotel that you stayed at and ask for compensation for your mishap. The best way to contact the GM would be to write a letter that succinctly details what happened and ask for suitable compensation. If you do not remember the GM's name, you can call the hotel and ask for it. IMO, you could ask for an equivalent number of points for one free night at the property (25,000-30,000) for a category 5 or 6 property or for a refund for that night's stay. You should also ask them to have maintainence check up on the door lock mechanism so others do not encounter your experience.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Phones in the loo

I've always wondered why hotels place a phone in the bathroom. Too bad this hotel didn't have one!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow - that's a lot worse than not getting an upgraded room. I would have freaked. Definitely write or call the GM, & let us know the outcome.

Cheers.

PS - Just out of curiosity, why did you close the bathroom door/door lock malfunction if you were in a room by yourself? No one to see you.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

It happened last night. Those clerks helped me out told me they will tell GM today. So far I haven't get their response yet.

I plan to write a letter to the GM later. I will keep everyone posted.

I closed the door because if I leave it opened, it is kind of chilly after I finish bath and get out of the tub.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VA1379
Welcome to FT, and I am sorry to hear about your incident at the hotel.

You should contact the GM of the hotel that you stayed at and ask for compensation for your mishap. The best way to contact the GM would be to write a letter that succinctly details what happened and ask for suitable compensation. If you do not remember the GM's name, you can call the hotel and ask for it. IMO, you could ask for an equivalent number of points for one free night at the property (25,000-30,000) for a category 5 or 6 property or for a refund for that night's stay. You should also ask them to have maintainence check up on the door lock mechanism so others do not encounter your experience.
Agree totally w/ the above, btw. Cheers.

PS - Note to self. Take cell phone into bathroom w/ me from now on...
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I definitely feel for you. About 10 years ago had a few friends who were going to take me out to dinner. I checked-in to a Radisson and went to put my bags in the room. When I tried to leave, the door handle came off and I couldn't figure out how to get it back on correctly. Luckily for me, I still had access to a phone and was able to call the front desk, but it still took about 20 minutes before I could leave the room. My friends were definitely wondering if I were trying to hide from them or something.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

How to file a complaint to marriott?? __ follow up

Almost 2 days passed but still haven't get their response/apology yet. So I just stop by the lobby and talk to their GM about my mishap.

He said he can offer me either a voucher (exp in 1 yr) for free one night stay at any marriott, or 10000 reward point (which is the max he is authorized). I tell him I will think about that and get back to him.

My plan is talking to his manager, and ask for 25000 reward pts. Is this a reasonable request?

Btw, that is a category 4 hotel (20000+ points / night). I am a Silver member.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Unless you do not see yourself staying at a Marriott in the next 12 months, the voucher is the better deal because it can be used at any Marriott property (including category 7) with no capacity restrictions. Basically, if a room is for sale, you can reserve it using that certificate. Those certificates are usually given out to elite members when they are walked from FS properties (and all properties for platinums) because the hotel is oversold.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Pardon my ignorance but why lock the door to the bathroom in a hotel room when you're traveling by yourself?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:44 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by psychephylax
Pardon my ignorance but why lock the door to the bathroom in a hotel room when you're traveling by yourself?
Your making an assumption that the OP meant to lock the door. It is possible that the "malfunction" was the door locking itself. But does it really matter? In any case, I would think that there is an expectation that the door lock with function correctly.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Definitely take the voucher. It is for any Marriott worldwide. Will probably include breakfast for 2. As the other poster said, there are no capacity controls on this cert so it is worth much more than 25,000 points.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by gggould
Almost 2 days passed but still haven't get their response/apology yet. So I just stop by the lobby and talk to their GM about my mishap.

He said he can offer me either a voucher (exp in 1 yr) for free one night stay at any marriott, or 10000 reward point (which is the max he is authorized). I tell him I will think about that and get back to him.

My plan is talking to his manager, and ask for 25000 reward pts. Is this a reasonable request?

Btw, that is a category 4 hotel (20000+ points / night). I am a Silver member.
I've been given 20,000 points and goodies waiting for me in my room the following week for reporting a very rude desk clerk at a Marriott who actually called the police because I refused to let him search my bag before I left it in their luggage storage room for the weekend. Therefore, I think being locked in a bathroom for four hours should be worth at least 50,000 points.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:08 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
From a Marriott Employee.....

Did you speak to 'a' Manager, or the General Manager? I buy 10,000 points for numerous reasons, from basic guest service issues, to problems with the rooms. I would suggest you point out to them their liability, and request a full refund for that night, as well as 10,000 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.