Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Compensation for being locked in bathroom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for being locked in bathroom

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JBord

From that perspective, receiving a free stay in exchange for the loss of 30 minutes (very annoying), seems well worth it to me. I'll bet some of those free time-share presentation suckers would gladly make that trade!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Your responses in this thread were snarky & uncalled for IMO, including w/ the "ALLEDGED" & "fake news". There is no reason to think the OP made up the situation. She described what occurred & asked for input re: compensation. FTers provided input, which basically was that the compensation was fair.

Cheers.
Sharon, I'm sure you've noticed, but the person you responded to has a history of being rude, argumentative, and at times harassing on this forum. I wasn't surprised at all to see the same in this thread, and I agree that there is no reason to believe OP was fabricating the truth. A number of the responses here are shameful, and people have no right to question how someone feels in that situation just because you wouldn't personally react the same way.

Count me in as another person who thinks the compensation offered is fair, though - if OP wants to be sure to get the points themselves rather than having their friend reimbursed, they should take that up with the property directly (and their friend, especially if the points were already returned!).
C17PSGR and Nazdoom like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by embrown1110
Am I crazy for thinking I deserve more in compensation for this? I don't want to be dramatic, but I feel like this should be handled very seriously...
I hope the irony of the statement regarding drama is not lost on you.

To answer your question, yes, you are crazy for thinking you deserve more compensation than this. The compensation offered is already excessive and extremely generous.

Out of curiosity, what ended up being the underlying issue?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Back in the early nineties, I was staying at a Radisson in NJ. The first morning there, I shut the bathroom door to take a shower. When I tried to turn on the shower, all the knobs fell off (couldn't get the water on.) I then tried to open the door to leave the bathroom and the door nob came off there too. It took a bit of time, but I was finally able to work the knob back on the door and open it (but it was touch and go for a bit. ) I was starting to worry about how long I might be trapped in there before I was finally able to get the knob to at least work.

In talking with the hotel management after the incident, it seems the person in the room before me was a bit disgruntled. To get back at the hotel, it looks like they deattached the tub knobs and the doors. I hadn't tried to leave the room yet, but it seems the main door had also been deattached as well. The hotel fixed it all up for me and if I remember correctly gave me a few free movies for the inconvenience.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Srisarin
IMO, overly dramatic and more then sufficient compensation (was your room even allowed 3 adults).
And finding a 10 year old post on a similar incident
Doing a search before posting is what people are supposed to do, and way too few actually do it. Why do you have a problem with someone acting properly?

and not taking it up with the property until AFTER checking out
The manager on duty that night promised us a free stay and complimentary breakfast.
Sounds to me like embrown1110 didn't wait until after checking out.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
In talking with the hotel management after the incident, it seems the person in the room before me was a bit disgruntled. To get back at the hotel, it looks like they deattached the tub knobs and the doors. I hadn't tried to leave the room yet, but it seems the main door had also been deattached as well. The hotel fixed it all up for me and if I remember correctly gave me a few free movies for the inconvenience.
In the same era, I had a similar experience at the FI Miami Airport. The disgruntled guest put pins throughout the room, including backwards hanging in the peephole facing where someone would look out of the room. Fortunately I saw it before looking through the peephole. I noticed more of them but was afraid of the ones I didn't see. The hotel comped the night and moved me to the Marriott. For those unfamiliar, there are three hotels in this fortified compound. Housekeeping missed dozens of these pins. Hmmm.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Back in the early nineties, I was staying at a Radisson in NJ. The first morning there, I shut the bathroom door to take a shower. When I tried to turn on the shower, all the knobs fell off (couldn't get the water on.) I then tried to open the door to leave the bathroom and the door nob came off there too.
After that string of mishaps I would be very careful putting my underpants on!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I can’t imagine spending an hour in a bathroom without my cell phone.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Selected reading again ?

By the way, I didn't talk to the staff in-person about this the following morning. Honestly, I just wanted to get out of that place after such a terrible (and embarrassing) night. It only hit me once I got home that I should have tried to handle it while at the hotel.

Originally Posted by sethb
Sounds to me like embrown1110 didn't wait until after checking out.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I had a similar unusual experience about six years at the Marriott in New Orleans. They painted the bathroom door and never put a sign up that there was fresh paint. Literally five minutes after arriving I walked into the bathroom to use the toilet and brushed against the door in a nearly brand new suit. White paint rubbed all over it.

The manager was very good about the incident. Not only was I moved to a new room and upgraded, but they bought a new suit for me. No question asked about price or anything. All I had to do was submit the receipt.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Selected reading again ?
Maybe, but he may not have been alone. Re-read the paragraph before the one you quoted.

I read the OP's post as this: The issue was addressed immediately after the OP was rescued, with a free meal and room. Later that night or the next morning, the OP felt maybe the comp wasn't enough, but was too frustrated/upset/etc. to take the time to address it with the staff the next morning upon checkout. So it's coming up now (too late and unnecessary IMO, but here we are).

Anyway, different people experience different levels of anxiety in different situations. It's fun to be human. The OP asked the question if comp was adequate, and the overwhelming response has been that it was. Hopefully we all helped the OP feel confident that the comp was reasonable.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Selected reading again ?
They are asking about getting more than they were offered. So it sounds like they handled it while at the hotel, but weren't fully satisfied with the result and now think they should have done more then.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
We’re talking about potential additional compensation for the unregistered guest after checkout, is that correct ?

Originally Posted by sethb
They are asking about getting more than they were offered. So it sounds like they handled it while at the hotel, but weren't fully satisfied with the result and now think they should have done more then.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
We’re talking about potential additional compensation for the unregistered guest after checkout, is that correct ?

Correct. The OP addressed the issue with staff while at the hotel. It was while leaving or after leaving that she wondered if she deserved more. That happens to all of us occasionally, when we have a moment to reflect back upon something that happened. Especially if that something was mildly traumatic, regardless of whether the rest of us think it should have been or not.

If your point is that compensation has been offered and accepted, end of story, I would agree. But if people didn't ask the questions, there would be no FlyerTalk .
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Without getting too involved in the fray, I'd like to point out this incident began at 1am on holiday, possibly on New Years Eve.

In any event if up at 1am, I'd typically be in a very jovial state of mind and this would quickly become a huge buzz kill for all involved. With a touch of claustrophobia, I'm pretty sure I'd get that door down possibly creating a larger mess or injury. And not be in the mood the next morning or thinking clearly to evaluate "compensation". Sleep was probably not plentiful or restful afterwards.

I do think something could have been offered to the OP personally for the hassle, a dinner certificate or $100 Marriott gift card would have gone a long way at little cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.