Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

ATL Northwest @Galleria: Guest arrested for being "non-swinger on a swinger's floor"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RatherBeOnATrain
Print Wikipost

ATL Northwest @Galleria: Guest arrested for being "non-swinger on a swinger's floor"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

This incident seems to have happened at the Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria:
A woman in Georgia claims that she was kicked out of a Marriott hotel because she 'was a non-swinger on a swingers' floor', according to a lawsuit she filed against the hotel chain. [The Guest] claims in the lawsuit she filed last week in the U.S. District Court of Northern Georgia that she booked a room on the fifth floor from December 30, 2016 to January 1, 2017 at an Atlanta Marriott to attend a New Year's Eve party hosted by a local disc jockey.
The lawsuit is in PACER so the story appears to be legit. Also:
[The Guest] then entered her room to shower and when she got out, she found two security guards inside staring at her as she stood naked, according to the lawsuit. She yelled at the guards while trying to cover her naked body before confronting them to see why they were inside her room.

According to the lawsuit, [a 'middle-aged white male' named 'Brent'] then confronted [the Guest] with one of the security guards saying that he wanted her removed from the room that she booked because she 'refused to participate in the group activities' related to the Swingers of Atlanta. The hotel security guard apparently agreed with Brent, despite the fact she informed him she was assigned the room by the hotel front desk clerk. [The Guest] then asked them to leave her room and shut the door.

While calling to speak with the front desk over the issue, two Cobb County Police Department officers and two hotel security guards entered her room along with Brent without probable cause. The officers, which included Cobb County Police Chief Michael Register, did not identify themselves prior to entry, and did not have an arrest warrant or search warrant authorizing their conduct, the lawsuit claims.
Link to the full story: Daily Mail - Georgia woman sues Marriott for $10million after she was arrested and kicked out of hotel for being on a floor reserved for a swingers' party (Updated: 15:04 EST, 28 December 2017)

The article also says that the Guest registered for the room under a 'SA' group code.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Hmmm. "SA" is not listed in the Wiki for publicly available reservation codes.
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

One good reason not to use "unknown" discount codes or hotel packages.
dgreen12, jacobguo and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder where the hotels draw the line on what groups they book. No moral judgement here as I am quite open-minded but I am just wondering.

In the mean time, Hilton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...er-disney.html and Disney....
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Marriott/others' view of what happened will be slightly different.
joshua362 and getagb like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Marriott/others' view of what happened will be slightly different.
It's possible a few key details may have been omitted
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm going to go out on a limb
Do you prefer to be on that limb when it is calm or when the wind is blowing?
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Hmmm. "SA" is not listed in the Wiki for publicly available reservation codes.
I understand your point dgreen12. However, the second paragraph of the article says the guest booked a room to "attend a New Year's Eve party hosted by a local disc jockey"..... so I did a little googling and, sure enough, there was a DJ-hosted party at the hotel that night:
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

could be horrible, but its a franchise right? so marriott will be investigating the manager/owner.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Marietta Daily Journal has published a more informative article about the arrest:
Everyone celebrates New Year’s a little differently.

Last year on the fifth floor of the Cumberland Marriott, there was a clash of cultures when 57-year-old Loletha Hale Lewis unknowingly booked a room on the same floor as an Atlanta swingers club’s end-of-year celebration.

The evening ended in the Jonesboro woman’s arrest and last week Lewis filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia against Marriott International, Swinging Atlanta and Cobb County police, who cut her New Year’s plans short by booking her on obstruction charges.

She is requesting $20 million in damages, $10 million from the hotel chain and $10 million from the police department. Her suit names Officer Zachary Stannard, who arrested her that night, and Police Chief Mike Register, who did not yet work for the department.
Link to full article - Marietta Daily Journal - Suit: Jonesboro woman booted from Cumberland hotel after clash with swingers’ party (Dec 28, 2017)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.