Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Room Upgrade / Early Check-in

Platinum Room Upgrade / Early Check-in

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In about a decade of Plat and PP, I cannot recall a time when I did not show my credit card at check in for a Marriott family property.
per Marriott platinum tiles which many properties don’t know, you do not need to if you have one on your profile. They should ask “do yo7 want to use the card on your profile”
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Sharon, you are incorrect on that. The early "mobile" check in is supposed to be equal to the standing in front of the desk and your credit card is billed at that moment. Your credit card is supposed to be billed at the point of check-in -- whether you do mobile or front of the desk. Not sure about the cash only disconnect, but per Marriott rules, Plats are NEVER supposed to have to show their card on any check-in, only id.

As disconnect states, they are honored at the time of check-in (as per the rules). THAT time is when you physically check in or when you check in by mobile check in. The supposed advantage to it and the system is they know the time of your arrival and can have a room of your choice ready for you.

Discussed in length with the "Mr Marriott" number / office. They verified that the above is how "it is supposed" to work.
Sigh - actually you're wrong. The CC is NOT billed at the moment you do mobile check in. The "hold" isn't even done until you're in front of the desk checking in. They'll ask if you want to keep it on the credit card on file, but the "authorization" isn't done until then. FDC will usually ask if you want to use the CC on file, but until they see a 'check in is complete' or 'CC is denied' on their screen, odds are you're not getting the key to the room.

Check in of course is a bit different from upgrades. You seem to think you're guaranteed a suite upgrade at time of mobile check in, but that's not necessarily the case. There could be a variety of reasons you're not getting one. I'd also say (this is just me & YMMV) but if you're checking in late at night & potentially checking out the next day, who cares. I've gotten plenty of suite upgrades where it literally didn't matter to me because I was not going to be in the room much.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 27, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
They'll ask if you want to keep it on the credit card on file...
This has been my experience, even sometimes when I don't do mobile check-in.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
How it works and how it is supposed to work.
Disconnect: Don't know abt your history in operations. Do know my wife is the owner of a marriott resort. The mobile check-in was set up to speed you through. You should be charged and room assigned at that time with all you need to do is show your id and obtain your key. There is no other advantage of a mobile check-in. This was why it was "created". Whether other hotels follow the program or not, I don't know. Yes I have been asked for my card at check-in and I politely decline to educate them.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Perhaps Marriott is different, but at a recent SPG stay, I tried asking whether I could use the card on file for incidentals, and was told absolutely not. Clerk insisted that I had to insert a physical card to cover incidentals, even if it was the same one as guaranteed the room rate at booking.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have never had Mobile Check-in have any apparent effect. I have never received a room ready notification as well. I am not sure if the properties I have stayed at even look at or know about the mobile check-in. At one JW, I announced I had checked in via mobile and they asked "what is that?". Basically, there is extra effort to do anything beyond the standard walk-in/check-in process, so they likely don't do it. I often do find my room to have been pre-assigned at some point earlier, but I never see more than a minor upgrade unless I specifically ask for it. Then I may get what they may have available at that time. Now, I did use the in-app chat feature after I had checked in once to request something and it worked very well! However, I am not sure I want to take a chance and waste many minutes waiting for a response to see if anyone is listening rather than just calling.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I have never had Mobile Check-in have any apparent effect. I have never received a room ready notification as well. I am not sure if the properties I have stayed at even look at or know about the mobile check-in. At one JW, I announced I had checked in via mobile and they asked "what is that?". Basically, there is extra effort to do anything beyond the standard walk-in/check-in process, so they likely don't do it. I often do find my room to have been pre-assigned at some point earlier, but I never see more than a minor upgrade unless I specifically ask for it. Then I may get what they may have available at that time. Now, I did use the in-app chat feature after I had checked in once to request something and it worked very well! However, I am not sure I want to take a chance and waste many minutes waiting for a response to see if anyone is listening rather than just calling.
and there in lies the problem
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Perhaps Marriott is different, but at a recent SPG stay, I tried asking whether I could use the card on file for incidentals, and was told absolutely not. Clerk insisted that I had to insert a physical card to cover incidentals, even if it was the same one as guaranteed the room rate at booking.
My experience is same with almost every Marriott / SPG property I check in at. From RI to JWM, I am always asked to produce credit card and ID.

I have tried asking the FSCs to user the card on file but I was always told to show the card.

There only place the card on file queue perfectos is Avis (probably all car rentals but I only know if Avis coz that's what I am allowed)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Do know my wife is the owner of a marriott resort.
So getting back to your original question. How does your wife handle the early check ins & suite upgrades? If multiple elites do mobile check in & arrive at different times, which gets the upgrade (assuming status is equal) first, the ones arriving early or the last person arriving?

Cheers.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My experience is same with almost every Marriott / SPG property I check in at. From RI to JWM, I am always asked to produce credit card and ID.

I have tried asking the FDCs to user the card on file but I was always told to show the card.

There only place the card on file queue perfectos is Avis (probably all car rentals but I only know if Avis coz that's what I am allowed)
jrhmdtraum likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So getting back to your original question. How does your wife handle the early check ins & suite upgrades? If multiple elites do mobile check in & arrive at different times, which gets the upgrade (assuming status is equal) first, the ones arriving early or the last person arriving?

Cheers.
the way the program was set up for. the one who checks in first: whether by time of mobile or time of front desk. That is the whole purpose of mobile check in. you show up to desk and are handled your keys. the only problem they had was for points or gift for platinum. Now they give points and in confirmation of early check in state they gave points and if the person prefers the gift, to ask
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
You are not officially checked in until you arrive at the hotel/get your keys. You can use mobile check in, but it's not really an official check in. I think it sends a message to the hotel so they can check your preferences, assign you a room (or suite), and when they make the keys you get a message back that your room is ready.
Except some properties have your phone as the key so you are actually checked into a room and can right there without visiting the front desk.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dmodemd
At one JW, I announced I had checked in via mobile and they asked "what is that?". Basically, there is extra effort to do anything beyond the standard walk-in/check-in process, so they likely don't do it.
Was it the JW Marriott Essex House? They have a horrible check-in system. They told me they use a different system and can't see anything from my Marriott profile (I don't know whether that is true or not).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I just wanted to say that my experience is that same as yours, Disconnections. I've stayed in countless hotels as a Marriott plat, and ALWAYS have to show my credit card and ID at the front desk. Now they may not swipe the card, or sometimes they just ask to verify the last four digits to ensure it's the card I want to use, but whether I check in via the app or not the front desk experience has been identical.
I ALWAYS get asked for my card. 100% of the time. I don't really get the point of having it in the card information in the app if they ALWAYS ask for the card. I even asked, what's the point of using the app then?

As I travel mostly in Asia, they almost always want to see my passport. In China it is the law, so the app isn't going to get you around that loophole.

What the app does for me is has my cards waiting at the elite check-in prior to me being there, as well, my room is ready to go (usually) once I have arrived. Also, I don't have to worry about returning the keys or waiting to check out, I just use the app for that.

I have had a room upgrade as a gold about 80% of the time I've checked in. I have only had a suite upgrade twice, and once it didn't really feel like a real suite...was only slightly larger than a regular room.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...I cannot recall a time when I did not show my credit card at check in for a Marriott family property.
Was true for me until about a 6 months ago. Since then, when using mobile checkin, have been asked less than 50% of time. When it first starting happening, I asked the FDC why credit card not asked for. FDC replied, mobile checkin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.