Website grammar - who checks?

Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
What's wrong with it? The statement is a headline in which they're using "open" as a verb. Given that they're talking about a single hotel, putting an "s" on the verb is correct. If they wanted to use "open" as an adjective, then they would have said "The Ritz-Carlton, Langkawi is now open." But since the "is" is missing, there's nothing wrong with their phrasing.
As it stands, using it as a verb implies it also closes, which it doesn’t, just as it doesn’t “opens”. It should just say open, which is correct, without the need for “is”, which if added would imply a frequently changing state.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
But since the "is" is missing, there's nothing wrong with their phrasing.

"The hotel opens." is not a grammatically meaningful sentence. "Opens" typical requires either a (transitive) object or (intransitive) prepositional phrase to complete the meaning.

I'm pretty sure open is being used as an adjective describing the state of the hotel, utilizing an elliptical clause.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:37 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Commas save lives.

Lets eat grandma
Lets eat, grandma.

Actually, I could care more.
Dont forget your apostrophe:

Let’s eat grandma.
Let’s eat, grandma.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:40 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
"The hotel opens." is not a grammatically meaningful sentence. "Opens" typical requires either a (transitive) object or (intransitive) prepositional phrase to complete the meaning.

I'm pretty sure open is being used as an adjective describing the state of the hotel, utilizing an elliptical clause.
No, it is qualified with the adverb, “now.” You could say, “the hotel opens tomorrow,” or, “the hotel opens now.” They just swapped it to, “the hotel now opens.” I agree that it is awkward.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I doubt that any of this advice will improve the grammar on this board!

The website underlines spelling errors. So if people post with typos that can be caught by the forum's spell check program, then that means the poster couldn't care less about typos!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by markis10
Maybe it’s just me but the home page for me says:
“The Ritz-Carlton, Langkawi now opens” ��

1st world problem I know, then again what’s that saying about first impressions and professionalism???
Mama, is that you?

My mother, may she rest in peace, sent one of my high school papers back the teacher with grammar corrections. Please do not do that to your kids. That teacher became a principal and has since retired. I run into him from time to time and he always mentions her doing that. She did that in 1977.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by NDN
[No, it is qualified with the adverb, “now.” You could say, “the hotel opens tomorrow,” or, “the hotel opens now.” They just swapped it to, “the hotel now opens.” I agree that it is awkward.
"The hotel opens now" <> "The hotel now opens"

Unless you're Yoda.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Thank goodness someone started this important informational thread.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Mama, is that you?

My mother, may she rest in peace, sent one of my high school papers back to the teacher with grammar corrections. Please do not do that to your kids. That teacher became a principal and has since retired. I run into him from time to time and he always mentions her doing that. She did that in 1977.
Apparently, you still need the help.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
*shrug* There's a new Ritz. It's open. Seems unambiguous to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.