FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   NY Times article about Marriott-Starwood merger's effect on frequent travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1882060-ny-times-article-about-marriott-starwood-mergers-effect-frequent-travelers.html)

bdschobel Dec 10, 17 3:11 pm

NY Times article about Marriott-Starwood merger's effect on frequent travelers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/b...y-program.html

Lots of interesting stuff here. I'm quoted near the end of the article.

Bruce

markko Dec 10, 17 3:25 pm

Homewood?

Funny that the author mentions Homewood as a Marriott brand (as you all know, it belongs to Hilton). I'm supposing he meant to say Residence Inn instead. ;)

bdschobel Dec 10, 17 3:42 pm

Wow, I missed that error! Too many words! :(

Bruce

DELee Dec 10, 17 6:15 pm

So Mr. Lieber is a SPG-aphile. And rambles and rambles and rambles and rambles....

Reminds me of the grumbles and complaints pervasive on the SPG forum and their complaints that MR properties aren't SPG properties when they wander over here.

David

sdsearch Dec 10, 17 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 29158168)
So Mr. Lieber is a SPG-aphile. And rambles and rambles and rambles and rambles....

Reminds me of the grumbles and complaints pervasive on the SPG forum and their complaints that MR properties aren't SPG properties when they wander over here.

David

I skimmed the article before I read your post and I reached the same conclusion. It's mostly from an SPG perspective, not from a Marriott Rewards perspective.

JHake10 Dec 10, 17 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by markko (Post 29157578)
Funny that the author mentions Homewood as a Marriott brand (as you all know, it belongs to Hilton). I'm supposing he meant to say Residence Inn instead. ;)

I noticed the same thing. You can go to Marriott's website, scroll to the bottom, and see all the brands. What else is the NYT missing :D

pinniped Dec 11, 17 11:22 am

tl;dr version: author digs SPG, worries that Marriott will tinker and lose the "cool" factor of SPG when the programs merge. Author tried to use Pittsburgh's somewhat-grungy-looking YMCA hotel and Airbnb to make a point, but I'm not sure what the point was. :confused:

C17PSGR Dec 11, 17 12:36 pm

I thought the article was pretty on point, and I'm a legacy Marriott guy.

That being said, he hit the points ... SPG has some cool properties but doesn't cover a lot of real estate. Frankly, not every place has a market for cool properties ... not to knock PIT!

And, I agree that designing a program that retains the SPG customers is important and difficult.

pinniped Dec 11, 17 12:58 pm

The Renaissance *looks* cool. I've stayed in Pittsburgh (downtown) one night, at a really good SHS next to PNC Park, and once by PIT in a dumpy Four Points for which I redeemed points.

PIT seems to have a coolness factor to it...and some decent hotels.

JHake10 Dec 11, 17 5:21 pm

The article has been corrected :D

sdsearch Dec 11, 17 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by markko (Post 29157578)

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 29162272)
The article has been corrected :D

So how was it corrected? Did they just delete that, or change it to something else? I see the correction notice at the bottom, but I'm not sure exactly where within the article that mistake was, so I'm not sure what's there now.

travelinmanS Dec 11, 17 6:39 pm

What is cool about SPG hotels? They generally seem exactly the same as Marriott hotels to me. But the author is right to be concerned, of course the revised MR program is going to be worse than either of the current programs today.

JHake10 Dec 11, 17 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29162517)
So how was it corrected? Did they just delete that, or change it to something else? I see the correction notice at the bottom, but I'm not sure exactly where within the article that mistake was, so I'm not sure what's there now.

There was a sentence mentioning some brands and Homewood was listed. The reference to Homewood was removed with no other brand added.

JBord Dec 11, 17 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 29162531)
What is cool about SPG hotels? They generally seem exactly the same as Marriott hotels to me. But the author is right to be concerned, of course the revised MR program is going to be worse than either of the current programs today.

I think the coolness shows at the resort level. As far as the other brands, they're not much different, and I'd take a Marriott over a Sheraton about 80% of the time. Sheraton = Marriott, Westin = Marquis, etc. Maybe those aren't exactly the right matches but the idea is right.

I don't think anyone is leaving because of the brands or properties though, as the author seems to imply may happen. Marriott customers got some nice resorts in the deal and SPG customers now have a decent hotel where they get benefits and earn points pretty much anywhere they want to go in the US and many international locations. But as you said, if the new Rewards program is devalued, Hilton better be ready to handle the influx.

naumank Dec 11, 17 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 29162531)

I had the same question when I read the article. I typically stay at JW in Asia, but have stayed at Sheraton and some other SPG hotels. Nothing cool about any of those.