Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paying a higher room rate for more points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying a higher room rate for more points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So, for example:

The Marriott in Teaneck, New Jersey, has a public rate of $136. If you pay $189, you get 5,000 bonus points on top of the regular points and bonus points you would receive as a platinum.
So call it $60-ish buys you 6000-ish points.

Not a screaming deal, but not bad if you're on the home stretch to a Travel Package.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
So, for example:

The Marriott in Teaneck, New Jersey, has a public rate of $136. If you pay $189, you get 2,500 bonus points on top of the regular points and bonus points you would receive as a platinum.

The Marriott in Auburn Hills/Pontiac/Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, has a public rate of $109. If you pay $149, you get 5,000 bonus points on top of the regular points and bonus points you would receive as a platinum. Alternatively, for $149 you could get dinner consisting of an appetizer, entree and a glass of house wine. That's a decent value if you price a glass of wine at $8-14, an appetizer at $8-12 and an entree at $12-20.

The Renaissance in Novi, Michigan, has a public rate of $142. If you pay $199, you get breakfast for two in the restaurant (as opposed to a continental breakfast or points as a platinum), two cocktails, and a $50 coupon for the Twelve Oaks shopping mall (Nordstrom, Macy's, and Lord & Taylor are among the stores).

The Marriott Maida Vale in London has a public rate of 117 pounds/$156. If you pay 156 pounds/$208, you get 10,000 bonus points on top of the regular points and bonus points you would receive as a platinum.
So what you need to ask as the shepherd of your employer's or customer's money is whether it is acceptable for them to pay an extra $50 for you to get more points in your pocket, an extra $40 for dinner for two or an extra $52 for you to get more points in your pocket. On the first and third, of course the answer would always be no, although nothing stops the employee from paying the difference out of pocket. There is no benefit to the employer/customer and converting their money directly into your points could be considered stealing. As for the meal, if they will be responsible for paying for your meal anyway and this is actually cheaper, there may be justification because the benefit to the payee, a lower price, is tangible.

There's no shifting of ethics or situational decision. Stealing is stealing. If you think it's okay to charge the company extra, ask the company for permission ahead of time. If it's okay the company will provide an immediate okay. But don't be surprised if you get a quote from the company's travel policy letting you know it's a violation to make a decision based on your getting points.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by pinniped
So call it $60-ish buys you 6000-ish points.

Not a screaming deal, but not bad if you're on the home stretch to a Travel Package.
Why not use the SPG 35% off points offer instead - it's cheaper.

A high level manager in Mr's company was fired recently due to some "issues" discovered by the accounting department.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The shopping mall packages often exclude all sale merchandise. It's sometimes a coupon book for particular stores.

I've taken rates where I might pay $10-15 more for a $25 F&B credit that I will use, but I always ask the terms first. Similarly, I compare the value of FHR benefits for a FHR rate versus using other rates that I'm entitled to use.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The shopping mall packages often exclude all sale merchandise. It's sometimes a coupon book for particular stores.

I've taken rates where I might pay $10-15 more for a $25 F&B credit that I will use, but I always ask the terms first. Similarly, I compare the value of FHR benefits for a FHR rate versus using other rates that I'm entitled to use.
I recently confused the check-in agent, someone I've known for years, at a foreign hotel where I frequently stay by using a rate that included breakfast. She kept explaining that I get breakfast anyway, so I tried to tell her it was the cheapest rate available at the last minute when I made the reservation. She could not get the non-breakfast rate to work. Finally she gave me $10/night off which, since I was paying out of pocket, was fine with me.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Keep on believing that. Meanwhile, you might want to keep that resume updated.
You make the assumption that I am guilty of taking liberties with my expenses? All I was pointing out was the belief that people have super sleuth expense report processors just waiting to pounce on that poor employee who charged the company an extra $25 for a points package at a hotel. Thank you for worrying about me, but since I have been expensing my country club dues for twenty years, I don't believe the company minds if I spend a little more to get some extra points. Haha
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by dayone
Two words: internal auditor.
One word: Enron
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
You make the assumption that I am guilty of taking liberties with my expenses? All I was pointing out was the belief that people have super sleuth expense report processors just waiting to pounce on that poor employee who charged the company an extra $25 for a points package at a hotel. Thank you for worrying about me, but since I have been expensing my country club dues for twenty years, I don't believe the company minds if I spend a little more to get some extra points. Haha
Well, I expense 25-year-old Scotch in the Gulfstream when really we're technically supposed to only have them cater 21-year-old Scotch. The super sleuths aren't going to catch me!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, I expense 25-year-old Scotch in the Gulfstream when really we're technically supposed to only have them cater 21-year-old Scotch. The super sleuths aren't going to catch me!
You have to pay separately now for Scotch in the Gulfstream? Sheesh, elite benefits really are being diminished.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

He will buy the economy-class ticket, print the receipt, cancel the ticket, and then buy a first-class ticket on the exact same flight. He submits the receipt for the economy-class ticket and then pays the difference himself. Is that wrong?
Yes, and it's also fraud. The receipt submitted does not tie to the actual transaction for the expense claimed.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
No, of COURSE it's not. No reasonable person would see that as fraud or even the least bit shady. Come on, people, let's apply a little common sense to these situations.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
He will buy the economy-class ticket, print the receipt, cancel the ticket, and then buy a first-class ticket on the exact same flight. He submits the receipt for the economy-class ticket and then pays the difference himself. Is that wrong?
Originally Posted by dayone
Yes, and it's also fraud. The receipt submitted does not tie to the actual transaction for the expense claimed.
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
No, of COURSE it's not. No reasonable person would see that as fraud or even the least bit shady. Come on, people, let's apply a little common sense to these situations.
This is an awesome hypothetical. It does involve dishonesty, but there's no actual harm. I bet ethics "experts" would split on this one.

I incline to the side of no harm, no foul (no blood, no ambulance).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Assuming you mean getting reimbursed for coach and paying the difference for first, rather than paying a higher rate for extra points... My former company allowed it but you were supposed to document it before you flew so that everything was above board. I type a short email, cut and paste the cancelation and the new ticket, send it to my boss who would approve it and send it to accounting. We used the same procedure if I was flying somewhere other than home at the end of the week so I would purchase a ticket home, swap it out and document everything.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Assuming you mean getting reimbursed for coach and paying the difference for first, rather than paying a higher rate for extra points... My former company allowed it but you were supposed to document it before you flew so that everything was above board. I type a short email, cut and paste the cancelation and the new ticket, send it to my boss who would approve it and send it to accounting. We used the same procedure if I was flying somewhere other than home at the end of the week so I would purchase a ticket home, swap it out and document everything.
Semi-related but I am curious.
Supposed you are supposed to fly home from XXX-ZZZ for USD 500.00
You buy XXX-ZZZ for USD 500.00 and documents it.
Now changes it to XXX-YYY for a USD 300.00. Stay overnight than fly YYY-ZZZ for USD 150.00.

Do you get reimbursed for
- USD 500.00
- USD 300.00
- USD 450.00
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Semi-related but I am curious.
Supposed you are supposed to fly home from XXX-ZZZ for USD 500.00
You buy XXX-ZZZ for USD 500.00 and documents it.
Now changes it to XXX-YYY for a USD 300.00. Stay overnight than fly YYY-ZZZ for USD 150.00.

Do you get reimbursed for
- USD 500.00
- USD 300.00
- USD 450.00
This happened frequently. For several years, I would just purchase the lower priced ticket and document it. (screen capture showing fare back home) Something happened way outside my department and division, but it sent ripples throughout the company. After that, I'd purchase the more expensive ticket, cancel it, get the lower priced ticket and a credit and use the credit on my next flight. It was cumbersome and always involved explaining to the airline why I needed a credit instead of just canceling the ticket w/in 24 hrs, but the contact in our travel department asked us to do it that way because it was easier for her to deal with. Sometimes the airline rep would say something like she had dealt with my company before and understood. On my expense report, I would note the flight was canceled, it was partially applied to the XXX-YYY flight on Jan Z and a credit was issued for the rest. I would also note the credit was used on the expense item for the next flight.

As was mentioned before, the audit department worked different hours, had a language barrier and was half a world away, so I think these extra steps on our part saved the travel rep some possible aggravation. Also, I had been given permission to not use the clumsy corporate booking tool so I always did as told so that wouldn't be taken away. The way the booking tool worked, after you finished, it would go to a travel agent who would actually book the trip. One week, I had four wrong rental cars, two wrong hotels and a wrong flight. (Flew to Houston, but the rental car was for Philly. The next day I flew to Philly but the rental car was in Houston. I was supposed to fly in and out of HOU but my flight out was booked for Bush even though my confirmation indicated HOU, etc.) After that, frequent travelers were given the option to book directly as long as you took a procedures course and there were no issues, so despite the stupidity of purchasing the higher price ticket and getting a credit, I wasn't going to complain and wind up having to use the corporate booking tool again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.