Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Use of Points/Convert an Award Stay to Hotel/Travel Package

Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

I’m trying to determine the best way to book a 9 night stay to maximize my points.

I have reserved an award stay (but have not yet issued the e-certificate) for 9 nights at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong for 360K in points over Christmas.

I have about 520k in MR points in my account prior to redemptions.

Is it possible to convert my award stay into a 7 day travel package, and then redeem points for the extra two nights? Is that a good use of points, or should I stick with my current booking.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Unfortunately my stay is 9 nights, and I cannot stay an extra night in hong kong to take advantage of the fifth night free.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Using a travel package would allow you to convert extra MR points into airline miles 1 for 1 if that interests you.

For example, 320K MR points gets you a 7 night cat 9 certificate and 50K miles (package 1). You would need to redeem 90K MR for the last 2 nights for a total of 410K MR.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Im trying to determine the best way to book a 9 night stay to maximize my points.

I have reserved an award stay (but have not yet issued the e-certificate) for 9 nights at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong for 360K in points over Christmas.

Is it possible to convert my award stay into a 7 day travel package, and then redeem points for the extra two nights? Is that a good use of points, or should I stick with my current booking.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Unfortunately my stay is 9 nights, and I cannot stay an extra night in hong kong to take advantage of the fifth night free.
Well, the way the math works with the travel packages is that you are able to convert points for miles at 1:1 over and above what just the hotel would cost in points. So the question becomes: do you need/want that number of FF miles?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
So its 410,000 vs 360,000 (8 x 45k) or 50k extra points for the miles. Or consider 50,000 Southwest points worth a minimum of $500 at Amazon, $750+ in airfares without the availability nonsense. All depends if you can use down the road!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Im trying to determine the best way to book a 9 night stay to maximize my points.

In terms of the logistics, yes, you certainly can convert the stay into a travel package and have a separate reservation for the other two nights. I don't think you could put that all on a single reservation, but I could be wrong. Even if you can't combine them, you won't have a problem--just tell the hotel at check in.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I don't think you could put that all on a single reservation, but I could be wrong. Even if you can't combine them, you won't have a problem--just tell the hotel at check in.
Trying to make the reservations yourself online, you are probably correct. But a phone agent should be able to put it all under a single reservation number. They can do that for cash+points reservations (started a few years ago), so I don't see why they couldn't for this reservation either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.