Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Seems like they could have ironed all this out by now. I am tired of chasing status in 4 programs......
I wouldn't be surprised if they have delayed the merged programs because they have been studying the data to see which program is more popular. What I mean by that is, since the programs were linked have there been more SPG members using the Marriott program or have there been more Marriott members using the SPG program. I think that would be very interesting to analyze, particularly if is was broken down by status level.

I remember the Marriott CEO saying that they really wanted the Starwood customer list because SPG had such a cachet. If I had to peg the average Marriott customer I would describe them as middle-class.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You do realize SPG just ran a wildly successful promo in Asia which gave Gold to MasterCard holders after just one stay, right? The upshot is Marriott lounges in parts of Asia require reservations.
And Marriott gives gold to United upper-level elites.

Marriott needs to either rollout a new level about platinum or reduce the lounge benefit for golds to breakfast only. The lounges are overcrowded.
username likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I had to peg the average Marriott customer I would describe them as middle-class.
Why is it so important to SPG members that they be thought of as economic superiors based on their hotel choice? And why would Marriott care? Wouldn't it be the same money earned regardless of whether it comes from the unwashed masses that are MR members versus the gilded lilies that are SPG members? If anything, shoveling money towards elitists would seem to be bad for business if you could get the same profits from lower maintenance customers. I've just never understood the silly "SPG Members are superior" comments. Frankly, the comments make those posters seem shallow. If one is choosing a hotel chain to gain class description, one is doing something very wrong.

It's kind of like the word "gourmet." Anything that self-describes as "gourmet" probably isn't.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I wouldn't be surprised if they have delayed the merged programs because they have been studying the data to see which program is more popular. What I mean by that is, since the programs were linked have there been more SPG members using the Marriott program or have there been more Marriott members using the SPG program. I think that would be very interesting to analyze, particularly if is was broken down by status level.
I think the real reason that the programs were not combined more quickly is that there are so many prerequisites. Marriott needs to merge back-end systems, reservations, websites, and all sorts of other things to make one company out of two. This involves a two-year process from when the merger closed. It's remarkable that Marriott was able to provide immediate status linking and point transfers to Rewards and SPG members. It's also desirable to wait until the beginning of a calendar year, and January 2018 was too soon, because so many other things remain to be done.

That being said -- yes -- it's giving Marriott time to study and analyze how members of Rewards and SPG view and use the two programs.

I remember the Marriott CEO saying that they really wanted the Starwood customer list because SPG had such a cachet. If I had to peg the average Marriott customer I would describe them as middle-class.
Okay -- fine -- the acquisition of Starwood added a lot of excellent high-end hotels to the Marriott system, but it also added a lot of less-than-wonderful properties, especially within the Sheraton and Four Points brands. I don't see the point of claims that SPG members are inherently higher-class or better hotel customers.

I do think the cultures of Rewards and SPF are somewhat different. It begins with names of the programs. "Rewards" appeals to the wallet, conveying the idea of earning and using points, while "Preferred Guest" appeals to the ego, conveying the idea being treated as a some sort of VIP. Ideally, the combined programed will bring both cultures together.

Maybe the combined program will be called Marriott Preferred Guest.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 2, 2017 at 10:48 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Why is it so important to SPG members that they be thought of as economic superiors based on their hotel choice? And why would Marriott care? Wouldn't it be the same money earned regardless of whether it comes from the unwashed masses that are MR members versus the gilded lilies that are SPG members? If anything, shoveling money towards elitists would seem to be bad for business if you could get the same profits from lower maintenance customers. I've just never understood the silly "SPG Members are superior" comments. Frankly, the comments make those posters seem shallow. If one is choosing a hotel chain to gain class description, one is doing something very wrong.

It's kind of like the word "gourmet." Anything that self-describes as "gourmet" probably isn't.
Originally Posted by Horace
I think the real reason that the programs were not combined more quickly is that there are so many prerequisites. Marriott needs to merge back-end systems, reservations, websites, and all sorts of other things to make one company out of two. This involves a two-year process from when the merger closed. It's remarkable that Marriott was able to provide immediate status linking and point transfers to Rewards and SPG members. It's also desirable to wait until the beginning of a calendar year, and January 2018 was too soon, because so many other things remain to be done.

That being said -- yes -- it's giving Marriott time to study and analyze how members of Rewards and SPG view and use the two programs.

Okay -- fine -- the acquisition of Starwood added a lot of excellent high-end hotels to the Marriott system, but it also added a lot of less-than-wonderful properties, especially within the Sheraton and Four Points brands. I don't see the point of claims that SPG members are inherently higher-class or better hotel customers.

I do think the cultures of Rewards and SPF are somewhat different. It begins with names of the programs. "Rewards" appeals to the wallet, conveying the idea of earning and using points, while "Preferred Guest" appeals to the ego, conveying the idea being treated as a some sort of VIP. Ideally, the combined programed will bring both cultures together.

Maybe the combined program will be called Marriott Preferred Guest.
I was merely saying Marriott corporate leadership has publicly said that the SPG member demographic was higher up the socio-economic ladder than the Marriott Rewards member demographic, particularly at the elite level.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Regarding Horace’s observance that the new program might be called Preferred Guest, didn’t the predecessor name of Marriott’s current program include Guest in the name of it? Or something like that. Correct me if I’m not right.
In fact, it might have been the Honored Guest program.

Last edited by HookEm; Dec 2, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis

As you can see even then Marriott told me Id be able to buy back thru 2018.
Ok I'm confused. You've been buying back status each year or is next year the only year you want to do it? If you're buying back status, that means you're not staying enough to earn it. So I'm not sure Marriott will miss you that much if you decide to stay elsewhere. And like others I think, since MAR has posted conflicting info re: buyback, you'd have a snowball's chance in hades of winning a lawsuit, assuming you'd find a lawyer even willing to take your case. OVMV.

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know this how? And aren't the programs supposed to be merged sometime in 2018?
That appears to be a website which wasn't updated with the latest news (in post 1 of this thread), which is that Marriott and SPG will remain separate programs for 2018.

Yes, there may be an announcement of the merged program sometime in 2018, but it will not take effect before January 2019.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HookEm
Regarding Horaces observance that the new program might be called Preferred Guest, didnt the predecessor name of Marriotts current program include Guest in the name of it? Or something like that. Correct me if Im not right.
In fact, it might have been the Honored Guest program.
IIRC, it was Marriott Honored Guest Awards.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
IIRC, it was Marriott Honored Guest Awards.
It appears that in 2018 "Marriott Rewards" will be completely its 20th year.

http://money.cnn.com/1998/01/28/travelcenter/marriott/

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/blog/10097-why-i-am-not-an-elite-member-of-marriott-rewards.html

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Dec 2, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:33 am

I would have to think ton's of Marriott people have been staying at SPG in the 4th quarter because of the promotion. For a $200 hotel if I stayed at Marriott I would receive 4,500 points but if I stay at a SPG property for $200 I am getting about 7,500 points when converted to Marriott Points! Extra 3,000 points each stay! Then if you were able to spend 25 nights in between the dates you get 10,000 starwood points converted to 30,000 Marriott points!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:12 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by Marriott15
I would have to think ton's of Marriott people have been staying at SPG in the 4th quarter because of the promotion. For a $200 hotel if I stayed at Marriott I would receive 4,500 points but if I stay at a SPG property for $200 I am getting about 7,500 points when converted to Marriott Points! Extra 3,000 points each stay! Then if you were able to spend 25 nights in between the dates you get 10,000 starwood points converted to 30,000 Marriott points!
That sounds good, but I can't take advantage of this. Trying to reach LTP, and am almost there. Should have the points for Marriott total met by January 3rd of 2018. The points would not count towards LT totals. Otherwise I would be so in...

Last edited by mav; Dec 3, 2017 at 3:13 am Reason: Forgot to finish
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ok I'm confused. You've been buying back status each year or is next year the only year you want to do it? If you're buying back status, that means you're not staying enough to earn it. So I'm not sure Marriott will miss you that much if you decide to stay elsewhere. And like others I think, since MAR has posted conflicting info re: buyback, you'd have a snowball's chance in hades of winning a lawsuit, assuming you'd find a lawyer even willing to take your case. OVMV.

Cheers.
I never said I wanted to sue, I said I would escalate the case.

Meanwhile, the first part of your point is especially worthless as its meaningless to the story.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
That is probably because they didn't have to "integrate" the two programs to provide status matches and straight point transfers. That was easy. No rules changes. No different benefits. No earnings from one hotel chain directly to the other program, etc. The real integration of the back-end systems is the complicated part and takes a whole lot longer.
I don't think IT is the driving factor in the delay - the initial status match and the transfer both required IT work. They could have just said 1 SPG = 3 MR, everything (points, status) transfers over and done. I think the issue is they just have not figured out how the combined program will look like (and have the system ready).

We also know Marriott did not expect SPG members to be so loyal and vocal. I think on one hand, they want to see how they can use this opportunity to cut benefits but on the other hand they are afraid of losing members. How many tiers and benefits? What to do with Lifetime? All the partner stuff would need to be sorted out too - do they stay with UA, do they move to DL, etc. So, it is not easy. The initial actions just set too high an expectation on the speed
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by username
I don't think IT is the driving factor in the delay - the initial status match and the transfer both required IT work. They could have just said 1 SPG = 3 MR, everything (points, status) transfers over and done. I think the issue is they just have not figured out how the combined program will look like (and have the system ready).

We also know Marriott did not expect SPG members to be so loyal and vocal. I think on one hand, they want to see how they can use this opportunity to cut benefits but on the other hand they are afraid of losing members. How many tiers and benefits? What to do with Lifetime? All the partner stuff would need to be sorted out too - do they stay with UA, do they move to DL, etc. So, it is not easy. The initial actions just set too high an expectation on the speed
Excellent post username. My understanding is that the plan is a new program with probably a new name in the slightly the same way Marriott Rewards was a new combined program with an astounding 6 brands with also a slightly new program name in May 1998. My guess it might launch March 1 2019 or probably March 1 2020. Hopefully never as I always like to suggest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.