Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
I wonder if I hit 70 nights if they will give me a soft landing. I'm not going to requalify due to the starwood nights I spent this year.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I read these threads and am surprised by one thing; most of the comments make it seem as if people are etiher MR folks or SPG folks.

In my case it is both......I would think there would be more people like me.

I must assume they will honor SPG status earned in 2018 (for what would normally carry into 2019), so hitting 50 at SPG would be the goal....or would that backfire? Should I focus on MR instead? Very hard to hit both. 75 would be quite easy if they were combined.

My real issue is lifetime; I have SPG Lifetime Gold but no lifetime with MR despite having more nights with MR than SPG. My hope is they combine the lifetime nights and drop the points requirement. I'm hoping to be at least MR Lifetime Gold once the dust settles. I will be close to 750 combined but no where near the points for Plat.

Seems like they could have ironed all this out by now. I am tired of chasing status in 4 programs......
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Chewie
Am I the only one that stays at Marriott (and have done so for almost 20 years) because I actually like the brand?
Like any portfolio, there are some highs and some lows, though within the brands there is generally a consistent minimum quality level I can rely on. I stay with MR because of that and their footprint... there's a reasonable option in most markets. I like SPG too, but until the merger their footprint was just too small for me... I could barely maintain SPG Gold with my travel pattern.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marriott15
I hope by July August they make some announcement so it gives people that chance to reach what ever level they can for 2019. But I wouldn't expect anything until 4th quarter.
Or, they will announce integration will be delayed until 2020 or they are getting a divorce Judging at how fast they initially got things moving, it is really strange that things have not moved forward much.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacca83
Do rollover nights get added to your lifetime nights?
At this point they do.

By once they design the new program (which won't go into effect until 2019) in that program they can make the lifetime requirement whatever they want, including subtracting out all rollover nights from your lifetime nights if you haven't yet qualified for your final lifetime status by then. (I'm not saying they will do that, I'm just saying they could do that, and some people on FT have even openly wished that they would do that.)

So we can only tell you what counts toward lifetime status now. If you won't earn that lifetime status until 2019 or later, what counts now may not be what counts by then.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Or, they will announce integration will be delayed until 2020 or they are getting a divorce Judging at how fast they initially got things moving, it is really strange that things have not moved forward much.
What are you comparing to? The ultra-slow IHG/Kimpton merger?

I hope you're not comparing against airline mergers. Airline mergers and hotel mergers are completely different. People need to connect from one flight to another, and so merging airline operations at least is a high priority in an airline merger.

OTOH, people only stay in one hotel at a time. So there's no the same urgency for merging hotel programs the way there is for airline programs.

Marriott and SPG are very different programs, and it may have surprised them how much pushback they got by trying to impose one program on the other's guests (if that's the first stab they took at focus groups, or whatever). We can't know what's going on behind the scenes, how many "wrong paths" they've gone down and had to retrace in various aspects of this merger implementation.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Seems like they could have ironed all this out by now. I am tired of chasing status in 4 programs......
I don't understand your "chasing status in 4 programs" comment. If you've linked your SPG and Marriott programs, whichever one you have the higher status at, it transfers to the other one (at least once a year). So no need to earn annual status in both. I'm SPG Plat due to being Marriott Plat, without a single SPG stay this year or last year (not counting the handful of night/stay credits I got from an SPG Amex).

As to lifetime status, no one knows what the requirements will be, so it's hard to plan for it. But if you're already some sort of lifetime status, that level of lifetime status will probably be preserved, and the only questions will be what (if anything) further you will need to do to get to the maximum lifetime status (whatever that ends up being).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Brings to mind an interesting question, though...

Would it really be fair to award 2019 Combined Plat to an SPG loyalist with 50 2018 nights, and Combined Gold to an MR member with 74 2018 nights?
If and when a combined program is introduced in 2020 or later (hopefully never) they will add the previous year SPG nights with the MR nights to determine your status in the new and hopefully improved program.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
If and when a combined program is introduced in 2020 or later (hopefully never) they will add the previous year SPG nights with the MR nights to determine your status in the new and hopefully improved program.
You know this how? And aren't the programs supposed to be merged sometime in 2018?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What are you comparing to? The ultra-slow IHG/Kimpton merger?

I hope you're not comparing against airline mergers. Airline mergers and hotel mergers are completely different. People need to connect from one flight to another, and so merging airline operations at least is a high priority in an airline merger.

OTOH, people only stay in one hotel at a time. So there's no the same urgency for merging hotel programs the way there is for airline programs.

Marriott and SPG are very different programs, and it may have surprised them how much pushback they got by trying to impose one program on the other's guests (if that's the first stab they took at focus groups, or whatever). We can't know what's going on behind the scenes, how many "wrong paths" they've gone down and had to retrace in various aspects of this merger implementation.
No, I was referring to MR and SPG. It was very soon after the merger they did the cross-program status match and the point transfer did not take long either. Then it seems things just stopped.

Yes, Marriott says they did not realize how "rabid" SPG Elites were
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:20 am

BackFire

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I read these threads and am surprised by one thing; most of the comments make it seem as if people are etiher MR folks or SPG folks.

In my case it is both......I would think there would be more people like me.

I must assume they will honor SPG status earned in 2018 (for what would normally carry into 2019), so hitting 50 at SPG would be the goal....or would that backfire? Should I focus on MR instead? Very hard to hit both. 75 would be quite easy if they were combined.

My real issue is lifetime; I have SPG Lifetime Gold but no lifetime with MR despite having more nights with MR than SPG. My hope is they combine the lifetime nights and drop the points requirement. I'm hoping to be at least MR Lifetime Gold once the dust settles. I will be close to 750 combined but no where near the points for Plat.

But see that is the issue! Starwood gives you Platinum at 50 and Marriott at 75. It is not "fair" (can't believe I said that) to someone that hit's 75 nights to someone that hits 50 nights at SPG.

I would have to think two things! 1. There will be two new levels a Platinum and then a Diamond! Or 2. They just keep platinum and let all the SPG members in for one year.

There is no way the top program will ever be below 60 nights. Hilton and Hyatt are 60 and IHG is 75.

Again this is all speculation. Maybe for one year you will be fine if you get 50 SPG nights in 2018 but I wouldn't take that risk! If you can get 75 nights at Marriott I would go ahead and do that!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Marriott15
But see that is the issue! Starwood gives you Platinum at 50 and Marriott at 75. It is not "fair" (can't believe I said that) to someone that hit's 75 nights to someone that hits 50 nights at SPG.

I would have to think two things! 1. There will be two new levels a Platinum and then a Diamond! Or 2. They just keep platinum and let all the SPG members in for one year.

There is no way the top program will ever be below 60 nights. Hilton and Hyatt are 60 and IHG is 75.

Again this is all speculation. Maybe for one year you will be fine if you get 50 SPG nights in 2018 but I wouldn't take that risk! If you can get 75 nights at Marriott I would go ahead and do that!
It might not be so unfair if you live in the US. You can get 15 or 30 nights credit with MR just by holding the CCs. Then each $3K spend gives you an extra qualifying night. SPG CC will only get you 5 nights and no nights from CC spend.

Outside the US you get diddly squat from either but considering how small the SPG footprint is in most other places I think 50 is perfectly fair for top tier in their program.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:20 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by username
No, I was referring to MR and SPG. It was very soon after the merger they did the cross-program status match and the point transfer did not take long either. Then it seems things just stopped.
That is probably because they didn't have to "integrate" the two programs to provide status matches and straight point transfers. That was easy. No rules changes. No different benefits. No earnings from one hotel chain directly to the other program, etc. The real integration of the back-end systems is the complicated part and takes a whole lot longer.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Outside the US you get diddly squat from either ...
You do realize SPG just ran a wildly successful promo in Asia which gave Gold to MasterCard holders after just one stay, right? The upshot is Marriott lounges in parts of Asia require reservations.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You do realize SPG just ran a wildly successful promo in Asia which gave Gold to MasterCard holders after just one stay, right? The upshot is Marriott lounges in parts of Asia require reservations.
The post I was replying to referred to elite nights required for Plat across both programs. Yes, I can get SPG Gold via a UK Amex also but I'd still need the full 50 nights (or 25 stays) to qualify for Plat. There's no CC that I'm aware of that will give elite night credits outside NA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.