Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

End of the Line: Key Bridge Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS

Looks like this venerable property at least as presently configured - is going away. Sale price if calibrated for this 583-room property = $312k/room.
Great location if you want access to most of Georgetown on foot across the bridge, or have business in the Rosslyn or Wilson/Clarendon Blvd corridor.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...redevelopment/

Or in the District or the Pentagon via the Metro station a few blocks away.

Logged a few nights here before relocating to the area - it was pretty solid.

Surprised to see it had been there 57 years - I thought the Long Bridge Marriott which opened 2 years earlier had the record.

http://www.marriott.com/about/cultur...ues/history.mi
CJKatl likes this.

Last edited by AATrout; Nov 21, 2017 at 4:48 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I was never a big fan of this property, but I'm sad to see it go, because it was a backup when the Crystal City properties were unavailable, and also it going away will likely increase demand for the CC properties.
AATrout likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottmlew
I was never a big fan of this property, but I'm sad to see it go, because it was a backup when the Crystal City properties were unavailable, and also it going away will likely increase demand for the CC properties.
It is in a difficult area if you are arriving by car and don’t know the intricate and unforgiving road network around there and quite frankly, most of Arlington County. Screw up at an intersection and you are on the GW Parkway with limited options to get back. Or on I-66 to points West during the dreaded HOV lane dragnet. At least Crystal City has fixed its previously confusing street network which is better for drivers and peds alike. The KBM isn’t close to interesting, walkable spots to eat on the VA side but its ok for a walk to Georgetown, but OTOH the Iwo Jima Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery are close enough to be walkable.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Well, personally I'm sad because this was my first-ever Marriott property and the one where I originally joined Marriott Rewards 20+ years ago. In those intervening decades I've stayed there a handful of times and always had a pleasant stay. The lobster mac and cheese from their restaurant and room service is the best I've ever had. And I have plenty of good memories (well, at least partial memories) of walking from there and enjoying the bars of Rosslyn or Georgetown before stumbling back to the hotel...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I practically lived here a couple years back, when I was in Washington four days a week for nearly a year.

The Marriott Georgetown is now my go-to hotel, but the rates at the Key Bridge have always been a big attraction because they were so much cheaper. Yes, the hotel is horribly outdated but Marriott at least painted it and replaced some of the furniture a couple years ago. The fitness center, for example, remains an embarrassment.

Location-wise it was great because you could walk into Georgetown and basically stay there for your trip while paying as much as 50% less than a real Washington-located hotel.

I do think there's probably not much that can be done to refurbish the hotel as the rooms are too small, the building is outdated, etc. Even with the supposed $20 million renovation that the developers are planning I think it will still be crappy.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I spent nearly a year hopping between there and the Meridien down the street. I had known it as the oldest existing Marriott for all that time. I also remember discussions about it being close/redeveloped about a year ago, so I think this was planned for a while - maybe they just formally closed the deal.

It's nostalgic, but wasn't really that great of a property.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
I spent nearly a year hopping between there and the Meridien down the street.
What's the Le Meridien like?

It's nostalgic, but wasn't really that great of a property.
I agree, but it is a shame that Marriott allowed the hotel -- its oldest Marriott -- to become so shoddy over the years. Just two or three years ago, it was really, really bad. As much as I complain about Marriott, the company has always taken care of me when things go wrong. I have also found great value in the points as well as my stays at its best properties. My biggest complaint, however, is there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of Marriott hotels like the Key Bridge that are outdated and well below standards. You can only put lipstick on a pig for so long.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The new owners said they plan a $20M renovation of the existing property... so I wonder it it will remain Marriott branded after that is complete.

Last edited by rylan; Nov 27, 2017 at 1:29 pm Reason: silly typo
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
The new owners said they plan a $20 renovation of the existing property... so I wonder it it will remain Marriott branded after that is complete.
I thought it said it would become retail, dining and apartments.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rylan
The new owners said they plan a $20 renovation of the existing property...
This is the best typo ever. (That is a typo, right?)
CJKatl likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What's the Le Meridien like?
It's decent. Not as good as they like to think it is. Prices are often high, which is when I went to the Marriott. But Cat 4 award level is about right, IMHO
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

It's decent. Not as good as they like to think it is. Prices are often high, which is when I went to the Marriott. But Cat 4 award level is about right, IMHO
I've never stayed at a Le Meridien. Is it basically a Renaissance, that is to say a corporate boutique hotel?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Arlington County has a convoluted and extensive redevelopment plan for the central Rosslyn area, which is just south of the KBM site.

https://projects.arlingtonva.us/plan...alize-rosslyn/

The KBM site, in the adjacent Western Rosslyn Area Planning Study is still zoned for up to 600 residences or 900 hotel rooms. The county board hasn’t adopted a new master plan for that Western area, but as you can see, the adjacent Central area has limited or no plans for new hotels. If as planned, the fringe of the central area has a few more restaurants/bars, then theKBM site could work as a FS Marriott again. Sort of the reverse in Crystal City, where the 2 main properties were built before there were any surface street retail and restaurants. Rather, that was found in the CC underground.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beltway
This is the best typo ever. (That is a typo, right?)
LOL yes that should be $20M
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also a Hyatt near (in fact, on top of) the metro station in Rosslyn. It's pretty good. Unfortunately no lounge and the standard suites are small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.