Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

End of the Line: Key Bridge Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of the Line: Key Bridge Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I want to say that the Key Bridge Marriott was the second Marriott ever built (Twin Bridges was #1 ).

Socrates will correct me if I'm wrong.
True. It was the second.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I want to say that the Key Bridge Marriott was the second Marriott ever built (Twin Bridges was #1 ).
And it really shows. Why they haven't done a better up with upkeep is beyond me.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I want to say that the Key Bridge Marriott was the second Marriott ever built (Twin Bridges was #1).
Correct. It's been reported in many news articles over the years that the Key Bridge Marriott was the company's second hotel. It was built following the success of Twin Bridges nearby, though the latter closed down many years ago.

I have mixed feelings about the KBM closing. Yes, it's a piece of history for the brand, but given its spotty maintenance and insufficient renovation it's a poor representative of the brand. Personally my memories there go back to almost my teenage years.... When I was working a college internship nearby my colleagues enjoyed going to the top-floor bar for happy hour on Fridays. I joined them a few times and felt like, "Wow, Marriotts are upscale yet comfortable places." Years later when I started traveling frequently I stayed once-- just once!-- at the hotel and was disappointed to see how run down it had/has become.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Correct. It's been reported in many news articles over the years that the Key Bridge Marriott was the company's second hotel. It was built following the success of Twin Bridges nearby, though the latter closed down many years ago.

I have mixed feelings about the KBM closing. Yes, it's a piece of history for the brand, but given its spotty maintenance and insufficient renovation it's a poor representative of the brand. Personally my memories there go back to almost my teenage years.... When I was working a college internship nearby my colleagues enjoyed going to the top-floor bar for happy hour on Fridays. I joined them a few times and felt like, "Wow, Marriotts are upscale yet comfortable places." Years later when I started traveling frequently I stayed once-- just once!-- at the hotel and was disappointed to see how run down it had/has become.
Yeah. They haven't maintained it for 20 years, probably. It basically needs to be completely gutted.

It's too bad they don't use the top-floor as a nice restaurant and bar with the view.

It did, however, sound like from my conversation with management that the hotel will stay open and changes will be made. It didn't sound like it was closing down anytime soon.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
They would likely have to gut to the studs and re-configure plumbing stacks to make a difference. The hotel was built in 1959 and (while I haven't been in the rooms myself) in that era, it wasn't uncommon to build a room size of maybe 180 sf. Today's full service hotel room is easily 325 sf. No amount of renovation in the existing floor plan will address this problem.

Edited to add: And given the way the exterior is built, it looks like the tall tower is stuck with small rooms until it's eventually imploded in the 2100s. Maybe they could tear down the associated midrise "wings" and start over; but $20M wouldn't be nearly enough to contemplate something like that.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Feb 3, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Well this hotel is not going anywhere. Plans for renovation are in the books, 12-18 months away and thank goodness, per local management. M Lounge on the way.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Well this hotel is not going anywhere. Plans for renovation are in the books, 12-18 months away and thank goodness, per local management. M Lounge on the way.
Yep:
Woodridge Capital Partners CEO Michael Rosenfeld likes old buildings — even the ugly ones. In Greater Washington, he’s preparing to overhaul a doozy: the Key Bridge Marriott in Rosslyn.

In 2018, Woodridge and Oaktree Capital Management LP, both based in Los Angeles, purchased the hotel and 5.5-acre property for $190 million from Host Hotels & Resorts Inc.

The deal includes a provision that the world’s oldest Marriott remain a Marriott for “decades,” Rosenfeld said.

While the hotel currently has 582 guest rooms, Rosenfeld expects that number to drop to the “mid-400s” once the renovation is complete.

Under current zoning, the site can support up to 630 residential units, 990 hotel rooms, 660,000 feet of office space — or some combination of both. The plans, which are expected to be submitted to Arlington County soon, will adhere to the existing zoning, Rosenfeld said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...riott-the.html
You can see what appears to be a M Club lounge adjoining the restaurant in this draft floor plan:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...tml#g/450584/8
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yep:

You can see what appears to be a M Club lounge adjoining the restaurant in this draft floor plan:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...tml#g/450584/8
The biggest benefit of the M Club being downstairs is not having to look at the bird crap accumulations outside the windows of the current CL. However having a view of Georgetown and the Potomac, especially after a snowfall is/was nice. Hopefully the M Club will be bigger than the current CL.

David
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
The biggest benefit of the M Club being downstairs is not having to look at the bird crap accumulations outside the windows of the current CL. However having a view of Georgetown and the Potomac, especially after a snowfall is/was nice. Hopefully the M Club will be bigger than the current CL.

David
Also waiting for one of the working elevators, right now 2 out of 5 down, for 3 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.