Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know the current brand standards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know the current brand standards?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The OP mentioned Pepsi here and Coke there, and is there really a standard that says one or the other, or just a standard that says "any of the following brands of soft drinks, in the basic version" or something like that?
On my first trip to Atlanta many moons ago, I was shocked to find Coke products at the Marriott. The concierge lounge attendant must have seen the look on my face, because she volunteered that Marriott had a worldwide contract with Pepsi EXCEPT in Atlanta, where Coke is headquartered.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
On my first trip to Atlanta many moons ago, I was shocked to find Coke products at the Marriott. The concierge lounge attendant must have seen the look on my face, because she volunteered that Marriott had a worldwide contract with Pepsi EXCEPT in Atlanta, where Coke is headquartered.
Marriott Account Lost; Coke Cites Loan Denial

ATLANTA, March 15— The Marriott Corporation's food service business switched from Coca-Cola to Pepsi-Cola after Coke rejected the hotel operator's request for a loan of up to $100 million, a Coca-Cola Company memo shows.

In the memo, a Coca-Cola senior vice president, Charles Frenette, who is head of Coca-Cola's fountain business, said approving a loan to Marriott would be unfair to other customers. "In effect, they were asking us to become a banking business," Mr. Frenette said in the letter to fountain divisions employees.

The Frenette memo suggested that Pepsico had agreed to lend Marriott between $40 million and $50 million. A Pepsi spokeswoman, Rebecca Madeira, called that assertion preposterous.

Marriott has been struggling with $3.5 billion in debt and last month borrowed $150 million from banks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/16/bu...an-denial.html
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Lounge in the Raleigh Marriott City Center is coke products instead of Pepsi. Its definitely regional and not strictly focused on Atlanta
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
The link in post 17 above has the year 1991 in the dateline of the article. 26 years ago.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by HookEm
The link in post 17 above has the year 1991 in the dateline of the article. 26 years ago.
And by all accounts it remains the reason why Marriott still has a corporate agreement with Pepsi.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And by all accounts it remains the reason why Marriott still has a corporate agreement with Pepsi.
Thanks to you and others, I know now I can ask to have Coke instead.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by HookEm
Thanks to you and others, I know now I can ask to have Coke instead.
You can ask, getting is another story... Although I was pleasantly surprised a few time in Atlanta area Marriotts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.