Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy SPG points and convert to MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I can't speak to Chase, but you will definitely get double points with SPG Amex. Last year, I was fortunate enough to be able to buy SPG points at 50% off (targeted offer, also through points.com), so I bought points for many friends. Each purchase was $525, and I got 1050 SPG points/purchase.
AMEX promises 2 SPG points per dollar of SPG purchases. Chase promises 5 Marriott points per dollar of SPG purchases. It would appear from your experience last year that both offers may work. Anybody with the experience of buying SPG points with the Chase Marriott Visa? (Obviously, since SPG points are currently convertible to Marriott points at 1=3, the AMEX SPG card would be slightly better for this purpose.)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this as well. 120K MR for 0.75cpp seems like a good deal.
LF72 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
is the marriotts points best used for cat 1/2 hotels?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by kt85
The best use of points is discussed in endless threads in this forum alone...

In a nutshell: Use them however they give you best value.

There are many ways to determine value: For example: Do a cash vs. point redemption comparison (Hint: do not pay cash if buying points and using points is cheaper). Are you out of cash at any point in time (use points). How badly do you want to stay at a certain property at a certain time? And it goes on and on...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
funkbandit pretty much hits it on the head. "Value" is really a very personal thing. But I will add that I still think the Marriott Travel Packages are the single best hotel program award in the industry. But even so, for a TP award to be of "value" to someone, they have to first need (or be able to make use of) airline points. Second you really need to be able to get the close to 300K MR points in a fairly reasonable timeframe. If it's going to take years to acquire the MR points, there may well be better "value" propositions for points usage for you.l

And if someone really likes "luxury" properties or wants to be at a "resort", there aren't very many (doubt there are any actually) "resorts" that are Cat. 1/2s. So in that case, the better "value" for that person might be found at higher Category hotels.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
How programs assign categories is a closely-guarded secret. It clearly is *somewhat* correlated to average revenue room rates, but some of our program lurkers here have said there's also an "award demand" component. (In other words, a $150/nt hotel in Orlando might get a different category than a $150/nt hotel in a random suburb somewhere.)

In other words, any category can have a sweet spot.

If I'm redeeming a Travel Package, it's usually high category simply because there aren't many low-category hotels I want to spend an entire week in. But my only hard rules are avoiding Courtyards and resorts since elite benefits don't apply there.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The easiest penny-to-point value from Marriott Rewards lie in the Cat 1&2 where the redemption points at 7.5k and 10k are so low it’s unusual to find less than a penny per point, and Cats 8&9 in Leisure and Tourist-demand city locations where rates regularly exceed $400. Other categories can be hit and miss but I’ve made plenty of very valuable redemptions at cats 3-7. Look and ye shall find...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:34 am

I just purchased 7K to top off my balance for an award night.

I could have easily applied for the Chase MR card (I may still do so in the new year) but given the tight window that I have for earning and burning, I would have likely spent more on the Plastiq fees (2.5%) paying my rent to meet the minimum than it would have cost to purchase these discounted Starpoints and transfer them out at 3x value to MR. I'm still approx. 7K short of where I need to be for my final night booking but that should easily be met with regular spend on my CSR over the next 2 months; especially with those 1,000 point Twitter promos that Marriott's been running.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
In case it is helpful, a reminder that Amex MR points can be converted to SPG points, and then transferred into Marriott account.

I came to this realization belatedly and was thrilled to use some dormant Amex points to get me over the hump for a Travel Package while the transfer bonus was still in effect for United.
LF72 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
This offer is back again, though limited to 30K of SPG points.

I’m thinking about it though I’m pretty flush with SPG/MR points right now.

I did the math and can push the MR price down to 0.58 cpp if I buy points for all family members and I refer Mrs. 1120 for the 25K SPG card.

The only major wildcard for me for me is if Marriott does a significant “enhancement” of TPs.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1120
This offer is back again, though limited to 30K of SPG points.
Reference: 35% off SPG Starpoints Purchase Again, until March 16, 2018
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Do purchased SPG starpoints transferred to Marriott count toward lifetime status points?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by getagb
Do purchased SPG starpoints transferred to Marriott count toward lifetime status points?
Transfers from SPG to Marriott do not count towards lifetime status points.

Whether after the merger of the programs any SPG points (purchased, earned, or from credit card activity) will count towards lifetime status points remains to be seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.