Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I notice that a lot of that stuff is from food taken from the Concierge lounge.

I haven't seen a room service cart at any Marriott in ages.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Platinum Prem (Life Plat), Hilton Diamond, A Club
I noticed this "Fresh Bites" concept at the Beverly Hills Marriott when I stayed there a few months ago. It appears to be one of the new concept hotels - no desk, open wardrobe, shower not but etc hotels

The Fresh Bites/Room Service menu did make the concept, i.e. food delivered in take away boxes, clear though
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:34 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
They could still offer traditional room service, with all the pomp and circumstance, for those who choose that more expensive option.

Also, given all the room service carts I see with dirty plates in the hallways of various Marriott hotels, I find it hard to believe that room service sales have declined appreciably.
I believe this ultimately has more to do with cutting costs for the property than (changing) guest expectations.

When Hilton eliminated traditional room service from their New York/Midtown location three years ago (which was considered unheard of back then), they claimed that it had become a money losing proposition for the property. I suspect much of this has to do with local union contracts and the cost of providing the labor for room service delivery. Even though that property replaced room service with a delivery option of grab and go items (so they still need a staff on call to do the delivery), it was reported that they were expecting to eliminate 55 positions with the change.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
I see many room service trays and carts outside doors too so people definitely still order room service often. When I travel for business I often want dinner in the room. If this is Marriott's new policy then it will be a big reason why I look to stay elsewhere. The problem is with the SPG merger the choices of where to stay will be more limited since I am sure this will be rolled out there too.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
I'm a millenial.i love room service, and desks,and TVs that swivel.

I will say I never unpack my suitcase into the wardrobe/dresser at hotels though. Lol.

Most of my room service is delivered in 20-25 minutes which makes that time frame for fresh bites pretty unnecessary in their response.

Also, they say the recycle the containers, so do you call them back to come pick up your plastic bag of containers? Most people would likely just put it in the trash bin, but then the issue of trash bins is raised. Unless you're staying in a RI or TPS, I've never seen a bin big enough to hold Styrofoam food containers at a hotel. If you throw it in the bin does housekeeping then fish it out and put it in a special "recycle" bin on their cart?

I highly doubt any of the Styrofoam from the hotel is being recycled.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by jsucool76
I highly doubt any of the Styrofoam from the hotel is being recycled.
Of course not, its just another feel good thing to promote about "going green".

I also chuckle about the special garbage containers that seem to be mandated in every park, beach and event venue. Then they don't get emptied timely and all become a disgusting mess of refuse that I'm sure no one is sorting out despite good intentions.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Like others I often see room service trays outside the doors of rooms, so agree w/ others that it's not gone down considerably. Also I usually got my room service orders sooner than they told me or, at the max, when they told me. This is just an excuse to cut costs & blame it on the millennials.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Marriott Chicago O'Hare

Just noticed the Freshbites menu "Handcrafted, Hand-Delivered"... :-/
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Marriott Chicago O'Hare

Just noticed the Freshbites menu "Handcrafted, Hand-Delivered"... :-/
Don't bother with it - Handcrafted = thrown in a plastic box with speed, Hand Delivered = In a paper bag, chilled salad in same bag as hot food......yummy!

So the fabulous new concept is spreading! Can't wait for my Marriott Resort special treat on my balcony overlooking the ocean..........Romantic Dinner for two from a paper bag! Cheap and Nasty!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
I was stunned and frustrated with my Fresh Bites experience last week at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, VA. I order room service at least once per trip, staying ~110 nights/year. At the CG; the Mez salad is terrific. Alas, it can no longer be eaten in my room. It really irks me that I can eat it downstairs but not in my room.

It also irks me that I had to pay $5 for the delivery of the overpriced but underdelivered food. Delivery is one reason room service food is overpriced.

I had the same experience as OP re the water: I was asked if I wanted a large or small bottle; I declined both.

I should have recognized the signs when I ordered. It reminded of me of the last time I stayed at a CY when they switched to microwaved food delivered in a bag. That ended my use of CY.

If the hotel restaurants have unique offerings by location, why does the room service menu need to be standardized across all sites? It makes no sense. Ordering/purchasing of the food is likely still done through the kitchen, with the items ordered consolidated for all 'platforms' (room service, coffee shop, restaurant, etc).

Depending on the duration of my future trips and the anticipated workload of a trip, this is possibly enough to make me switch hotels for some trips.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold, Alaska 75K, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
This is maybe the single dumbest idea in the history of dumb hotel lodging ideas. I stopped getting room service on most trips recently, because I was tired of the ludicrous service charges, the 20% tip, etc. and ending up paying $57 for a burger and an ice tea. Still, there are often times I travel and am utterly wiped out by the time I get to my hotel. Sometimes, I just want room service -- with freaking plates and silverware -- to eat up and relax. And when I travel with my family, we almost always get room service at least one night.

Lately, I've stayed mostly at Renaissance and full service Marriotts in DC, Chantilly, numerous other DC areas, NYC, California's central coast, Honolulu, and a few other places. None of them had this Fresh Bites crap. Really hoping it doesn't spread, or at least gets limited to one of the brands. Nevertheless, for y'all to be seeing this at a full service is worrisome.

And don't get me started on the fake "going green" crap. I can't remember the last time I saw a recycle bin in any of my hotel rooms. I doubt that fake utensil stuff is being recycled!

Wow, what a disappointing change.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by airchick

Depending on the duration of my future trips and the anticipated workload of a trip, this is possibly enough to make me switch hotels for some trips.
Please contact the GM to let him/her know that you may switch/take your revenue elsewhere due to the fresh bites service. Otherwise s/he will think it's ok.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I am so angry to hear this. Room service is something I love to treat myself too.

My next stay is at a Ritz-Carlton. I can't imagine they'd do something this stupid.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I am so angry to hear this. Room service is something I love to treat myself too.

My next stay is at a Ritz-Carlton. I can't imagine they'd do something this stupid.

I have been told on good authority it will be rolled out to all Renaissance and Marriott US hotels by 2017.

JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton will retain the traditional presentation for now at least.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by markzz2
I have been told on good authority it will be rolled out to all Renaissance and Marriott US hotels by 2017.

JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton will retain the traditional presentation for now at least.
Ive heard the same thing - unfortunately for us most hotels really do lose money on room service - it's always a major struggle for the f&b director to make money on this...

Marriott just made it easier for the properties - and I'm sure the properties are all quite pleased (remember that Marriott doesn't own the properties) because they can now stop offering this service without repercussions from Marriott corporate.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.