Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping: Don't do what I did.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
1) again, read your own comment that I was actually replying to rather than whatever imaginary comment you think you made. You complained about variability. Tipping isn't some weird thing that is unpredictably sprung on you and you're just forced to pay some wildly unpredictable amount. Even in cases where gratuity is included, it's documented.

2) tipping is not bribery. continuing to insist that it is shows that you're not arguing in good faith and basically just tells everyone you're a cheapskate.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Always Tip in Cash, Always No matter what.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
You're moving the goalposts. The claim you made that I responded to:

But as we now see, this complaint was a total sham. You don't care about variability. And you don't care about "shifting operating costs to the end consumer" (which is baloney anyway, that argument doesn't even pass the giggle test because everyone knows that if tips are eliminated that prices will go up, nothing is being "passed to the consumer" as the consumer is always going to pay all of these costs regardless).
Well in terms of variability, are we only talking about in restaurants (what the OP was referring to), or the whole "tipping based economy"? If the latter, particularly as it relates to hotels and Marriott in an effort to stay relevant to this forum, you could certainly argue there is variability due to the number of services that could potentially receive tips - room service, bellmen, valets, concierge lounge attendants, housekeepers and their envelopes, etc. Sure most of those have "standard" tip amounts, but those are often argued or not known by all.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JackE
To make a long story short, I had breakfast at a Marriott on a Platinum voucher. The service was great and both food and gratuity were covered. Nevertheless, I added a $5 tip to be charged to my room for a total of $5 after the voucher.

The $25 breakfast charge, plus tip, ended up being charged. After explaining to the FDA, the post-stay "correction" was to add a second $5 tip. End result: $35 for a $0 breakfast.

Lesson: Don't add a tip-only room charge because no good deed goes unpunished.
I don't have any sage words of wisdom. I appreciate you relating the experience.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by justus1900
Unless you work for a company that requires the tip be included with a restaurant charge.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
(1) I'm not carrying cash for this purpose, period. It's 2017. Sorry.

(4) I'm not carrying cash for the purposes of enabling someone else's tax evasion scheme.
+100

To all the valets, bellmen, doormen, bussmen, housekeepers, cabbies, et al that want cash tips:
I don't even want to tip you.
At all.
Expecting me to do so while requiring it in the form you most prefer, but which greatly inconveniences me, makes my decision a lot easier.

Get real and get over yourself.
redanman and Caribgrl like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by pvn
You're moving the goalposts. The claim you made that I responded to:

But as we now see, this complaint was a total sham. You don't care about variability. And you don't care about "shifting operating costs to the end consumer" (which is baloney anyway, that argument doesn't even pass the giggle test because everyone knows that if tips are eliminated that prices will go up, nothing is being "passed to the consumer" as the consumer is always going to pay all of these costs regardless).
The purposes of tipping include:
1) To enshrine the servant - master relationship. How tipping originally started, and continues to be a big driver for those that like to brag about how much they tip.
2) So management can be lazy and not discipline their workers. Customers don't complain - both sides seem OK with bad workers getting bad tips and quitting.
3) So management can be lazy and over schedule workers - thereby having workers earn less on slow nights with virtually no cost to the restaurant.
4) So owners can have workers cover costs associated with customers that want to get a discount (pay less tip) while the business gets full fee for the product.
5) Enable tax avoidance on all sides by systematic under reporting tips (something encouraged by a large segment of the public by the demand that tips be paid in cash, otherwise the manner of tipping wouldn't matter).

Most of this (but especially number 1) is proven by the generally poor performance of restaurants doing away with tipping and instead raising menu prices by an amount equivalent to tips. If it was really about the money, people wouldn't care how it's paid, or how it is received.

What tipping is not, is something to ensure good service, which it can't be since the tip is provided after the service is finished. As every study shows, there is no relationship between quality of service and the amount tipped. Every non-service (and many service) employee is expected to perform their job without a tip. It baffles me why restaurant workers can't do a good job for a good (but fixed) wage. --That is, they can't expected to by those that are in love with tipping. Obviously the waiter of the original poster did a great job even though there was no expectation of a tip (it was included).

Last edited by innesst; Nov 28, 2017 at 8:39 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Tips, bah!

Platinum Breakfast vouchers include gratuity. I stayed 30+ nights at one property (SPG) and I went to tip one day early on and the server told me it was included. It must be a pretty good one, because they treated me like family as they got to know me. No, better than family. I also think someone Brand Loyal enough is going to be a no-muss-no-fuss in this situation rather than a family of five screaming, spoiled little prats who stiff them. That's why servis compris ought to be the norm in USA.

Disclaimer: God, I hate to tip. Pay your damn taxes, y'all (@PINN@IPED, BIDKAT + another 100 from me)

Addendum: I don't carry cash any longer, this is one reason just as some of you below have noted, plus it just disappears. Ever since the FT published a Page 1 article on cash and virtual currency denoting that cash was to become "The Currency of the Poor and The Criminal", I feel that someone far better equipped to make this determination than I has come to the same conclusions.

A personal gripe, NYC is a cesspool of tip DEMANDERS, thus I carry a few $1 coins there so that I don't lose my suitcase.

Last edited by redanman; Nov 28, 2017 at 8:56 am Reason: added content after reading posts further down the thread
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by justus1900
Sorry but no. I want to have a record/receipt if I reasonably can, especially if I'm requesting reimbursement.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:25 am

Smile

In situations like these either Hotel or not I always tip cash. Between 5-10 dollars depending on what I am eating. ( lunch, dinner etc)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bidkat
+100

To all the valets, bellmen, doormen, bussmen, housekeepers, cabbies, et al that want cash tips:
I don't even want to tip you.
At all.
Expecting me to do so while requiring it in the form you most prefer, but which greatly inconveniences me, makes my decision a lot easier.
What would be more convenient, exactly? Like, do you think they should all carry square readers? Would that actually be easier than just slipping them a couple of bucks??

Get real and get over yourself.
lol, this may be the most ironic post ever in the history of flyertalk, which is a pretty high bar.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by redanman
God, I hate to tip.
Finally, someone just owns it. Good on you.

A personal gripe, NYC is a cesspool of tip DEMANDERS, thus I carry a few $1 coins there so that I don't lose my suitcase.
Weird, I'm in manhattan at least once a month, usually more, and I've ... never noticed this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry but no. I want to have a record/receipt if I reasonably can, especially if I'm requesting reimbursement.
If you tip in cash, then you reasonably can't have a receipt. I have been submitting expense reports for 15 years or so and I've literally never had anyone challenge me on a cash tip I submitted.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:49 pm
pvn
Suspended

We could probably go in circles for years about this topic, so why don't we just get to the heart of the matter... I get that some people just hate to tip, but why is it that people who are supercheap nitpickers feel the need to vocally proclaim this fact so proudly and loudly? Nobody is going to tackle you and force you to tip. On the other hand, if service workers (who depend on tips for their living) know in advance that you're not going to tip them, you're going to get worse service.

It's worth it to me to know that some guy who is working for a living gets a few bucks. It's worth it to me because these people remember me. It's worth it to me because they'll go above and beyond. If I somehow forget to claim a couple of bucks on an expense report somewhere, so be it, I'm still ahead of the game because my interactions have gone more smoothly, I've gotten what I need with less teeth pulling, etc.

If you want to stiff a guy because it makes your life slightly less convenient for 15 seconds, well, that's your prerogative, I guess, more power to you. But why do you feel the need to try to convince us about it?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by pvn
If you tip in cash, then you reasonably can't have a receipt. I have been submitting expense reports for 15 years or so and I've literally never had anyone challenge me on a cash tip I submitted.
That was her point, challenging someone who said to only ever tip in cash. And just because your employer doesn't challenge you on cash tips doesn't mean that others' employers don't either - I've had employers deny tips and parking meter fees (old-school meter that only took coins) that were less than $3 each because they required receipts for all expenses without exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.