FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott time share going for ilg (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1870139-marriott-time-share-going-ilg.html)

HMPS Oct 3, 2017 1:58 pm

Marriott time share going for ilg

Sounds like good news ? Marriott Vacations has just announced a bid for ILG. This will give a wider selection for time share owners !

Horace Oct 3, 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 28889852)
Sounds like good news ? Marriott Vacations has just announced a bid for ILG. This will give a wider selection for time share owners !

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp, which was spun off from Marriott International in 2011, licenses the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton brands from Marriott International for vacation ownership (timeshare/fractional).

ILG, Inc. (which includes the timeshares spun off from Starwood Hotels & Resorts), formerly Interval Leisure Group, Inc., licenses the Westin and Sheraton names from Marriott International for vacation ownership. ILG Inc. also licenses the Hyatt brand for vacation ownership, as well as operating the Interval International exchange company and vacation rental companies.

Here's a news story today:
ILG Stock Spikes on Takeover Offer from Marriott Vacations
Marriott Vacations, the world's leading pure-play public timeshare company, reportedly offered ILG $30 per share.
Giovanni Bruno, Oct 3, 2017, 4:07 PM EDT
However, it remains to be seen how this would change things for existing and new owners. It's likely that Hyatt's timeshares will remain separate, just as they're now separate from Westin and Sheraton timeshares.

With Westin and Sheraton now part of Marriott, there may be an opportunity for synergy. But it won't be easy to implement because of differences in the ownership programs.

It could be good news due to the possibility of new options across the brands.

It could be bad news due to the reduction in competition.

It probably won't make much difference for those who are not owners of weeks or ownership points in either system.

svo242 Oct 3, 2017 10:17 pm

Interesting...would be nice to have Starwood/Vistana timeshares together with Marriott!

icydog Oct 4, 2017 5:37 pm

Right now there is no way to go to a Starwood, aka Vistana, resort via a Marriott timeshare, unless one would trade through II, Interval International.

Since Starwoods are booked up immediately by an extended Vistana trading period, it has been very hard to get into those timeshares.

Here's a for instance, I own a lot of Marriott timeshares. I would love to go to Westin Kierland Villas in Phoenix. I have only been able to exchange in II once to that resort--even though I own some high demand Marriott timeshares.

I doubt this will change. But having II as part of Marriott may be advantageous to other non-Marriott owners trying to trade into Marriott. The reason is this: Since Marriott started their own Destination Points Program there are fewer and fewer Marriotts traded in II. If II became part of MVCI then maybe that would free up some weeks from owners in the points plan to deposit them in II.

All this is totally supposition. I just know that since Hyatt has been owned by ILG the timeshare system has seemed to have gone down in value. They are, in fact, also instituting a new points system to mimic the one Marriott introduced a few years ago. I sat through a presentation and I felt it was all smoke and mirrors and that owning a week is still the better way to go with a Hyatt timeshare.

I wonder if Marriott acquires ILG how that Hyatt point program with pan out?

I own Marriott Weeks and Marriott Destination Points and they both serve a purpose and work well for me. But I have been doing this for years and understand most of the intricacies of the two systems.

HMPS Oct 6, 2017 5:33 pm

above post deserves a +1.

Worldwide President of Marriott Vacations was on the Jim Cramer show tonight. He declined to answer the "impact-changes" of the buyout as a matter of policy but said "stay tuned" in a very cryptical way . I interpret it as good. ( He also said all resorts hit by hurricanes are up & running ,, St Tomas is still running on gererators.

Dreamer28078 Oct 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by icydog (Post 28894821)
Right now there is no way to go to a Starwood, aka Vistana, resort via a Marriott timeshare, unless one would trade through II, Interval International.

Since Starwoods are booked up immediately by an extended Vistana trading period, it has been very hard to get into those timeshares.

Here's a for instance, I own a lot of Marriott timeshares. I would love to go to Westin Kierland Villas in Phoenix. I have only been able to exchange in II once to that resort--even though I own some high demand Marriott timeshares.

I doubt this will change. But having II as part of Marriott may be advantageous to other non-Marriott owners trying to trade into Marriott. The reason is this: Since Marriott started their own Destination Points Program there are fewer and fewer Marriotts traded in II. If II became part of MVCI then maybe that would free up some weeks from owners in the points plan to deposit them in II.

All this is totally supposition. I just know that since Hyatt has been owned by ILG the timeshare system has seemed to have gone down in value. They are, in fact, also instituting a new points system to mimic the one Marriott introduced a few years ago. I sat through a presentation and I felt it was all smoke and mirrors and that owning a week is still the better way to go with a Hyatt timeshare.

I wonder if Marriott acquires ILG how that Hyatt point program with pan out?

I own Marriott Weeks and Marriott Destination Points and they both serve a purpose and work well for me. But I have been doing this for years and understand most of the intricacies of the two systems.

Dreamer28078 Oct 10, 2017 6:25 pm

I can actually help you with Westin Kierland, if you needed the help to book there

icydog Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamer28078 (Post 28917726)
I can actually help you with Westin Kierland, if you needed the help to book there

We could do a swap. I have a lot of Marriott weeks I could swap with you.

Ashhantira Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Any news about it please