Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Africa Pride 15 on Orange, Cape Town, South Africa (Leaving Marriott June 1, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Africa Pride 15 on Orange, Cape Town, South Africa (Leaving Marriott June 1, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

To add my two cents: Just completed a trip to South Africa and Victoria Falls for my honeymoon. We stayed at a Protea hotel in Cape Town (15 on Orange) which was fantastic, and a steal at the reward saver price of 15,000 points we booked at. Very well situated, and we were able to book a suite with a fabulous view of Table Mountain at the base redemption rate.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 24, 2017 at 5:30 pm Reason: Copied section from longer report on 15 on Orange
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I spent 9 nights at African Pride on Orange back in November and loved it. Great hotel, excellent staff, fantastic location, many sites within walking distance, and cheap Uber rides anywhere else.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:14 pm

I have now booked the African Pride on Orange in Cape Town for February 2017 (Room with Table Mountain view).
Any recent insights?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.4MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, HHon Gold
Pride on Orange was brilliant

We stayed 5 nights at Pride on Orange last year using 4 nights' points @ supersaver--and we were so glad we did. We also went through all the options you mention and more. You might prefer the Proteas if a water view is imperative, but as a MR gold you can request and receive an upgraded room with a full-on view of Table Mountain--Priceless! The upgraded room is HUGE, actually a suite with living room area, and wake up with view of the iconic mountain too. Gigantic bathroom and a soaking tub, also with view of Table Mountain. (we saw where the Proteas were located and were glad
Hotel is right next to a Hop-on HOHO bus stop, a must. Walking distance to Company Gardens and only a block from Societi Bistro, a wonderful restaurant popular with locals. As others have commented, there is no breakfast or concierge lounge, but we picked up breakfast items at one of the walking distance WholeFoods-type grocery stores and made coffee/tea in the living area of the suite. It's also in a central location to lots of the major sights and for anything else -- catch an uber, it was so easy. PS, Uber is the cheapest and best to/from the airport. CPT is an amazing and wonderful city to explore, with some of the best restaurants and wine in the world at bargain prices. Make your reservations now via email for La Colombe and Test Kitchen, a couple faves. Have a great trip and Enjoy!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:26 am

Thanks for the update.
I will be in Capetown next week and I have booked the African Pride on Orange too.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Africa Pride 15 on Orange, Cape Town, South Africa

Have a one night stay in Cape Town in May so decided on the AP 15 on Orange. Had toyed with booking the Westin but the AP winds up being 20K Marriott Reward Points (or just under 7K SPG points with a transfer from SPG to MR). Location looks good and there seem to be restaurants/bars within walking distance - not as isolated feeling as the Westin. I also have read some not so great service comments on the Westin so that was the deciding factor. Will report back - understand that Plats don't get breakfast here - but with the exchange rate being what it is, I think I can afford it! :-)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
African Pride 15 on Orange (Cape Town): Gorgeous property; reminded me of a W. Small pool on the roof, small gym on the roof. Upgraded to a large room with a perfect view of Table Mountain; luxurious. Walkable to Kloof Street and the shops and cafes, but not as close to the CBD, more residential neighborhood.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm Reason: Copied section on African Pride 15 on Orange from non specific property thread
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Adam1222
As promised, I got around to doing a fairly lengthy post on my blog about the three Protea properties I stayed at in Cape Town, expanding on the thoughts shared above and including lots of photos -- the Protea Cape Castle, the Protea Victoria Junction, and the African Pride 15 on Orange: http://www.youwentwhere.com/?p=5942 . Of course, happy to answer more questions on here as well.
I was given a similar room but two floors up at 15 on Orange two weeks ago.
Attached Images   
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
African Pride 15 on Orange

Excellent stay. I was offered Platinum amenity upon check-in and had been upgraded to a huge Table Mountain view deluxe room, which was more like a suite.

The rate for the first two nights included breakfast, and I skipped breakfast in the third and last day which was on points. Very nice breakfast buffet with choice of juices, pastries, fruit, cheese, sliced meat, yogurt, bread, cereal, eggs, bacon and sausage with eggs made to order and of course coffee.

Tip: An excellent restaurant called Nelson's Eye is very close by, only a 3 block walk. I visited here on my first visit to Cape Town when I was staying down near V&A waterfront. Great steaks.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 24, 2017 at 5:01 pm Reason: Copied from longer post as standalone on this hotel
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am appreciative of all of you who reported on your stay experiences here. It helped me decide to book, using credit card nights for our first and last night in South Africa, bracketing a trip to a game park. We found the staff helpful and our room comfortable. We've been to Cape Town several times and weren't doing any sightseeing. It was an easy trip from the airport. We used Uber and it cost roughly $15 in USD. I am platinum so asked about an upgrade on arrival. We had been booked into a standard room but they agreeably searched for better. We had to wait a half hour or more while they serviced a room but ultimately we got a spacious room. The platinum amenity was good. We chose a small bottle of water and a generous plate of cheese and crackers. Societi Bistro was only a block away. We wanted to do take out and they do not allow it. Odd, but they are on UberEats so we went the easier route and had food delivered to the hotel. We left luggage at the hotel and went off lightly packed for our game park stay.

On our return we had booked La Colombe Silvermist and went there for an impressive midday multi course meal. We went to the restaurant from the airport, then returned to the hotel. This time, although my husband is gold, we had been booked into a deluxe room with a beautiful mountain view.

For those familiar with Cape Town, the hotel is just a couple blocks from the historic beautiful Mount Nelson.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I have stayed a couple of times and the hotel is , IMHO, only average. In addition, they do not honor Platinum status for breakfast so you have to pay.

When I stay in Cape Town I stay at the Doubletree which is a ways out of town but is considerably cheaper than City centre hotels and is only a short Uber ride from most of what you want to see.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
On our return we had booked La Colombe Silvermist and went there for an impressive midday multi course meal.
I'm so glad you managed to dine at La Colombe! Hope your trip was fab!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have a stay booked here checking in a couple days. I just received this email from the reservation manager:

Thank you for choosing the African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel, Autograph Collection as your destination of choice in Cape Town. I also need to inform you that we are currently busy with renovations, meaning at this stage we unfortunately do not have a Spa, Swimming Pool or our Main Bar available until the end of October. At this stage we have a temporary restaurant & bar available (with a limited menu) as well as 24-hour room service. Another component of the renovations are that we are doing plumbing repairs on half of our hotel’s inventory. By saying this, for the month of October we do not have any of our Deluxe Mountain Facing Rooms available which you have booked for your stay with us. At this stage I can offer to move your reservations to our Deluxe City Facing Room for the duration of your stay. Our Deluxe City Facing room is basically a copy of our Deluxe Mountain Facing room, however with a view of the city and not Table Mountain. If you can please let me know if I can proceed to amend your reservation?

I have two rooms booked with points for 7 night for mountain view rooms and they want to downgrade my room a few days before arrival. It also sounds like there will be limited food so not sure about the free platinum breakfast. I was really looking forward to waking up to those views of Table Mountain. So disappointing and no offer of goodwill for the downgrade. I also don't have time to change plans since I fly out tomorrow. It would have been nice if they contacted me a couple weeks ago. So far less than impressed with this hotel and their lack of customer service.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Poor customer service. We were thinking if staying here in Febtuary. Probably will skip and do Radisson Blu waterfont. Didn't like Westin so hoping for a better Marriott choice... But they should be giving you a suite rather than downgrading.

This might be a city where I skip Marriott/ Starwood completely
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:35 pm

Please report back as I am staying here November 16th to 23rd and any update would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.